Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight-gaining medications

Going out on a limb here and am scared at the same time. I was diagnosed in '07 as being bipolar, mild,not severe and given a cocktail of meds, along with this disease I suffer from severe insomnia so mostly my symptoms are that along with mild depression. I take Klonopin, Saphris and Zonisamide. All has been going great and no I don't have manic episodes everything was going great up until about a month ago I noticed my moods have changed. As some of you know I live with my mom since my divorce and well I have a tendancy to lash out at her, she knows I don't mean it and she understands completely and I'm even lashing out at my dog. I called my psych the other day and called in Depakote and the pharmacist said, do you know the side effects of this drug of course I said no, she proceeded to tell me that it caused Hair loss which after lap band I am experiencing now, severe weight gain and I'm thinking great. Why in the world would my psych of 7 yrs put me on a drug that makes me gain weight? I guess I am jumping out here in hopes that someone with this disease will respond and tell me what they take and if they have any adverse effects from the meds they take. It's obvious I need a mood stabilizer but from all my research they all seem to have side effect of weight gain. I have been on my cocktail of drugs for quite some time and don't know if they have stopped working or what. Someone please have some answers. thanks...Donna

Hi Donna,

Is it possible for you to have a thorough face-to-face review of all your medications with your medical professionals? Perhaps there are dosage issues that can be adjusted, etc., especially as you have lost a lot of weight. You definitely want to have a doctor who is very well-versed in pharmaceuticals monitoring your cocktail closely. Hopefully the band will help keep you from overeating or turning to food. Maybe they can tell you more about the side effects and ease your concerns. Sending you best wishes!

sorry you are struggling so ms donna

please refer these questions to your doctor (and lap band doctor) as they are the ones who can/should be answering your questions...hang in there okay GF

Oh god here goes.. I'm frances 37 yrs old and I have rapid cycling bi- polar. I was diagnosed at 24 following the deaths of my two daughters. I gained loads of weight previously I was thin ish. I do have occasions of manic episodes and don't cope well with being criticised. I take comments very personally. I'm not always good at determining their intent.. As for medication I'm drug free at the moment and have been for three yrs now. I took them all..uppers, downers, inbetweeners, and a variety of others to combat the side effects the meds they gave me caused. My hair thinned, I clenched my teeth so much they feel out. I take occasionally meds to help me sleep. The thing that helped me most was having my hormone levels stabilised. Pre menstrually I was either murderous or suicidal both with horrible consequences... You have a right to ask them to get things right for you. I took lithium and didn't gain weight. Sadly psych meds tend to either make you thin or fat.. Maybe talking therapy or even a good friend fellow sufferer might help. Go to them and have a rant. You might feel miles better. My ear is willing anytime. Chin up. I'm sure your family understand. They love you and know you didn't choose this.. Message me if you like. We could email kik possibly skype if you liked. Xx take care.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using LapBandTalk

thanks all for the responses and for understanding. Yes this is an issue for my psychiatrist but I'm an hour and half away from him, he's in Nashville and I'm Ky so it's not like I can jump in the car and make an appt and go see him on a whim. I have to do these things by phone. His assistant called today to ck on me and to see if the Depakote was helping and my response was :::"why in the world would he prescribe me something that causes major weight gain knowing I'm a wight loss surgery patient and on top of that due to my surgery I already am losing hair and this med causes that so no I'm taking it". she said oh, well, let me talk to him and call you back. Well, the day went on and never heard back from her. This is not like my dr, I've been with him for 7 yrs, love him to pcs, he's been there with me thru ups/downs and my separation/divorce but right now I am kinda peeved no one called me back today. On the otherhand my medical doc mentioned Lithium in a low dose...torn between doctors here. All I know is I cannot continue being short fused with everyone including the freakin dog of all things, she doesn't know any better.

Zingy, like you I don't take criticism very well either or I take it to heart or wear my emotions on my shoulder so to speak. Thank you for sharing your story, it was brave of you. At least I'm not alone.

Donna

I found lithium really good. I only took it for a matter of months but compared to the zombie making meds it was good. I also found effexor/venlafaxine brilliant. I took those for years. Lost weight, mood good and positive. Only draw back if you forget them or run out the withdrawal is horrendous. And getting used to them took a week or so. You do have to take regular blood tests with lithium to check liver function but thats not a huge deal. Hope things improve for you and you get sorted. I know only too well how frustrating it feels to not be able to control your feelings. I do really sympathise. Good luck. Hope your doctors office gets back to you with something useful..

Sent from my GT-S5830 using LapBandTalk

I have taken anti depressant medication in the past and was warned about weight gain, however whilst there is a possibility of weight gain if you are sensible in your eating and exercise I have many friends who are taking psychotropic medication and have not gained . So I would suggest that you call your doctor and give yourself a break from the worry. You are very brave and deserve to be happy as well as slim !