Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, my name is Mike

hi, my name is michael. i'm 49 i managed to get up to 620# by dec of 2008 before i started to diet.. i'm at 285 today, at a bit of a plataue for the past month. i've started the process for getting a band. labs,xray,ekg, primary's letter all done. pysch eval first of october then, consult with surgeon etc. i've been lurking here for 3 weeks or so. done a fair bit of reading. honestly i'm apprehensive, moreso the longer i spend time here. i think i'm a glass half full person too. my initial goal is 240 depending on how much lean mass i hold onto. right now bio imp tests from a machine i have a fair bit of confidence in says i have 207# lean mass. so it appears i'm pretty close to getting where i want to be. i'm athletic large frame but if i look sloppy at 240 i'll still drop weight but i think bmi numbers are bunk.

i'd like to get there faster naturally but my reasoning for the band is to give me a tool to not only get to finish line but to keep it off. in college i got to 300# and got it off back to 190#, said i'd never be fat again. ha, the ignorance of youth! either way,just like everyone here i'll struggle the rest of my life. in my adult life i've been over weight all but 4 years and for 20 years leading up to 620 i'd didn't try to diet at all, i just forfeited.

i'm interested in your perspective if you were in my shoes would you knowing what you know now still have the surgery? thanks!

Welcome! The band has absolutely helped me get my life back! I'm off disease medications, labs are completely normal and I feel better than ever! It's the best gift I've ever given myself. Best wishes to you!

Can't recommend anything, but welcome and best wishes.

Hello Michael, and welcome. Wow you have really rallied for a second chance at health and life, and you have done amazing, congrats! You are so very close to your finish line, and I think you are wise to consider banding as a tool to help you achieve your goals. Many obese people have lost weight and maintained that for a while, studies have shown that for many, the most difficult area of weight loss is maintaining their goal for life. Many unfortunately will regain their weight plus more. But now there is Lap Band that can keep us accountable and at goal. I was banded on August 7th and I know without a shadow of a doubt that if it weren't for the band, I would not achieve my goal, and certainly not maintain my loss. I love my band, and would never go back and I would do it all over again if I had to. I had my first fill on Friday, and got 5cc in my 10cc band. I know now how powerful the band is. I have even more control over my weight loss. I've had no complications either. As to you lurking here and seeing many 'stories' of peoples experiences... remember this is a public forum which any one can post. I've seen scammers here, and band haters, and just haters of obese people. If you listen to all advice here, you need to consider the source. I'm not saying the peoples posts you read weren't legit, I'm just saying everyone here may not have a banders best interest at heart. This is where you should ask many questions of your WL surgeon. Maybe attend a local support group and talk to banders in all stages of their journey, so you can see in person how wonderful Lap Bands really are. One of the most important things to remember if you get banded is COMPLIANCE, many of those that fail or complain of their bands have not followed their WL surgeons recommendations. Compliance is key. No doubt that you would do well with a Lap Band, since you have already been so disciplined in your weight loss on your own. The band will help you get to goal, and keep you there. I wish you the best, and a speedy, safe journey to your goal!!!

Welcome Mike!

First, congratulations on your amazing weight loss. That is nothing less than outstanding. WOW!

I think your reason for wanting the band is completely valid. I've been lifelong dieter, too. In fact, I've probably lost hundreds of pounds over the years- only to gain it right back and then some. For me, the band is more about keeping me at my desired weight than it is getting there. I know I could lose it on my own if I really wanted to but I know I could never successfully keep it off without it.

Best wishes on whatever you decide!

Mis73 I'm of the same mind as you.....I can lose weight fabulously & then I can gain it all back (plus a few friends) fabulously so my getting banded was my change & extra tool to utilize for finally getting to and then maintaining a healthy weight! PS:I'm almost there :)

Hello Mike,

You sound like my husband, ironically also named Mike. His highest was over 500, he is now 300 with a goal of 260-270 due to his larger/muscular frame (ex fb player).

Anyway, your progress is mindblowing and what a huge accomplishment. When you look at the numbers, it's so easy to say "but you ONLY have 40 more to go" "and if you can lose hundreds why not just 40" etc. There's certainly a rational point there. But as you mentioned, and as most of us have lived out, maintaining the loss is what becomes the bigger obstacle.

Not certain how you gained your weight, but I know that life in general can really sway us from out dieting efforts. Anything from holiday cooking, extended vacations, a loss, stress (good and bad) etc. It's inevitable and can really get you off track real quick. This is where the band helped me the most. I had gotten pregnant (I know a nonissue for you lol) and suffered a serious MVA that led to 8 months of rehab (I was practically immobile). I was able to gain a mere 20 lbs (opposed to the 60 with my first child) and lost it within 1 month postpartum (unlike with my first child lol) and I maintained my weight during the entire rehab period. Remarkable, yet impossible without the band.

I am now at goal and I can speak to how much MORE energy I put into maintenance than I did with wl on the band. But unlike gaining a lb or two on bad cheat days/weekends etc I would have gained 5, than 10 etc. I am able to turn things around much more readily and I'm almost hardwired now to not gain. Big difference from before. (And I had lost 70 lbs once in my life as well just to gain it +50 back).

And than I don't want to point out the obvious..age (eyeroll). But it is a factor. Yoyo diets are truly detrimental to your health. With age comes lower metab and thus wl is harder. etcetc

Now I know I sound like a huge band advocate (because I am lol) but the call is yours. Having been on both sides of the fence I certainly would to the band. Knowing you were at 620 is probably the leading reason for encouraging the band. Only because if you were to regain.how far would you go?

Best of luck Mike. Again congrats on such a great loss! ^5

It the best thing you can do for yourself!!! I was banded back in March Lost so far 55 lbs and love it. My only regret is that I didnt do it sooner. But congrats on your weight loss so far !!!WOW

thank you all for your welcome and thoughts. from the few "lay people" even a few with our problem they seem to have trouble understanding why i'd do it when i seem relatively close. i think i'm pretty sound ground on why.

still the complications, even those not from non compliance, make me nervous. i had both knees tka this summer no real complications and great outcomes. i'm wondering exactly how lucky can one guy be?

thanks again, i appreciate your time and like hearing about your success.

take care, michael

thank you all for your welcome and thoughts. from the few "lay people" even a few with our problem they seem to have trouble understanding why i'd do it when i seem relatively close. i think i'm pretty sound ground on why. still the complications' date=' even those not from non compliance, make me nervous. i had both knees tka this summer no real complications and great outcomes. i'm wondering exactly how lucky can one guy be? thanks again, i appreciate your time and like hearing about your success. take care, michael[/quote']

I wish you a lot of luck with whatever you decide to do. I had the surgery at almost 62 and wish I knew about it years earlier.

just by way of update, i have surgery tomorrow morning. one last meal pre band left, something tasty and chewy!

thanks to everyone here, reading your posts and experiences means going forward i have a pretty good idea on what can happen, what might be expected.

can't say i'm too nervous, more looking forward.

forward to all the good things, non scale and scale victories alike. some of how to handle social outings and recovery. overall think i'm in a pretty good place.

thanks again, take care. michael

Good luck Mike!

Good job. Welcome and congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

thank you both. i'm feeling pretty good, wouldn't want to do this more than once a month. lol stings pretty good to bend over, just a tich of ache in shoulder and breathing deep is tough but over all i'm sleeping well, getting housework done, walking, hitting my protein/water goals. off the prescribed pain killers. things are good fingers crossed they stay that way.