Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wth did i do this for?

Also, my WL surgeon gave me a prescription for Prilosec for the first 30 days. She said this would help the swelling of my stomach and protect it. You may want to ask your surgeon if you would benefit from a med like that. :)

everyone here gave good advice/comments

i also have a 14cc band and i also asked my dr if any Fluid was put into the band.....it was a (primer) to see if Fluid would go in and if it was working........whether or not they removed it or left it in, i have no clue.. being still very early out of surgery, you are very swollen still and i agree that eating/drinking too much, too fast can cause it to be incomfy...in fact it still does...i agree with mis, go back to dr, tell them what you wrote here and let them decide if they need to remove fluid or not

to answer your thread question, why did you do this for?

same reason i did, to lose weight and get healthy..

Also, my WL surgeon gave me a prescription for Prilosec for the first 30 days. She said this would help the swelling of my stomach and protect it. You may want to ask your surgeon if you would benefit from a med like that. :)

Yep...I was on Prevacid because with my first band due to swelling and increased acid...

Also it is a bit of a SHOCK to have tight restriction right out of surgery and many people do not know how to eat on a very restricted band, it takes months to get used to this, and many people will panic and throw up and that is the last thing you need to do..

My advise GO VERY SLOW...stick with Soup and very soft mushies and let it take you 30 minutes to get down only a few ounces if necessary, the goal here is to NOT VOMIT.

I have a 10cc band and my doc put 5 cc in at surgery. I love him for that! He started me off in the green zone :). I haven't had a problem I'm averaging 2 pounds plus a week and its great. I've been banded for 2.5 months.

I asked my Doc a couple of days ago and he said that my 14 cc lap-band did not have any saline in it at the time of my surgery!

Maybe you have a different band? I really don't see the purpose of my doc and his staff lying to me about how much Fluid is in my band.

Maybe you have a different band? I really don't see the purpose of my doc and his staff lying to me about how much Fluid is in my band.

No one is saying your doctor lied to you. It just sounds like you may have misunderstood where the primer comes from. It's not from the manufacturer, it's from the surgeon during surgery. No biggie.

No.... In fact I just asked my hubby who was with me. I asked how much fill was in my band and she said "we don't add anything until your healed... All that's in it it was the manufacturer puts in it..... And then I got speech about how people get stuck on the numbers of how much fill they have.

I am not an easily confused medically uneducated person. I have a degree in science and work in the medical field.

No.... In fact I just asked my hubby who was with me. I asked how much fill was in my band and she said "we don't add anything until your healed... All that's in it it was the manufacturer puts in it..... And then I got speech about how people get stuck on the numbers of how much fill they have.

I am not an easily confused medically uneducated person. I have a degree in science and work in the medical field.

Ok no one is questioning your intelligence. Bottom line is, the bands do not come pre filed. Period. Surgeons usually do put in a primer fill during surgery and do not consider it an actual fill. But that Fluid in your band didn't come from the manufacturer and it is removable. If you're as miserable as you claim, you can get some removed. If you'd rather stay here defensive of your degree and doctor's staff instead, go for it. We were only trying to help, whether you believe us or do something to help yourself isn't our problem.

How do people know the bands do not come "pre filled" or "primed". Are you the md handling them? Or the manufacturer?

My advice talk to the educated person, you're surgeon. They should be able to help you some more :-)

Good luck!

How do people know the bands do not come "pre filled" or "primed". Are you the md handling them? Or the manufacturer?

My advice talk to the educated person, you're surgeon. They should be able to help you some more :-)

Good luck!

You can go to the Lap-Band web site and they say that it has no saline in it when placed in you, but doesn't say anything about what your surgeon will or can do.

Good luck!

You are actually SHOCKING ME MORE each time you respond to a post, and you SAY you are a nurse.

I am happy I've never been at a hospital where you work ....lol...use COMMON sense here...WHY would Allergan PRE FILL A BAND? Use your brain please.

Allergan DOES NOT pre fill lap band...that IS NOT THEIR JOB...

Right before surgery, they fill the band up with saline and check for any defects, and leaks...to ensure they are not installing a faulty band inside of a patient..and once they've tested the band they leave a little primer Fluid inside the band...AND NOT enough saline to qualify for a REAL FILL....

Some patients have a lot of swelling, it can take 1-3 months before all the swelling completely go away, and if the band is not too small for that person's anatomy, then after about 3-4 months that person will be ready for a REAL FILL...

Also many patients have a fat pad around their stomachs and after losing weight, their bands will loosen up even further....those who's band is too tight for their anatomy....their bands will barely budge and will still be too tight regardless of how much they lose....

Here are some step by step instructions how the band filled up with saline, to test for defects: during band installation -- the AP band is blown up to the max with 15cc of saline and typically about 5cc is left in the band...I had 5cc of saline in my lap band post surgery...

Now You learned something today...and hopefully you can add that to your RN resume....

http://www.lapband.c...band AP_dfu.pdf

For the Scrub Tech/rN:

1. After the Circulator opens outer LAP-BAND AP® System

package, pick up inner sterile container by the tab and

put on back table in a secure location.

2. Peel outer wrapping at the yellow indicator on the

bottom side of the Tyvek® and remove LAP-BAND AP®

System and priming needle.

3. Connect priming needle to the LAP-BAND AP® System

tubing end.

4. Fill a 20 cc syringe with at least 15 cc of saline and

connect syringe to the priming needle. Flush the band

and inflatable shell area several times, each time drawing

out air bubbles. A residual amount of saline will stay in

the LAP-BAND AP® System.

5. View the inflatable portion of the band for leaks or

uneven inflation.

6. Inject about 5 cc saline and disconnect the syringe. The

You are actually SHOCKING ME MORE each time you respond to a post' date=' and you SAY you are a nurse. I am happy I've never been at a hospital where you work ....lol...use COMMON sense here...WHY would Allergan PRE FILL A BAND? Use your brain please. Allergan DOES NOT pre fill lap band...that IS NOT THEIR JOB... Right before surgery, they fill the band up with saline and check for any defects, and leaks...to ensure they are not installing a faulty band inside of a patient..and once they've tested the band they leave a little primer Fluid inside the band...AND NOT enough saline to qualify for a REAL FILL.... Some patients have a lot of swelling, it can take 1-3 months before all the swelling completely go away, and if the band is not too small for that person's anatomy, then after about 3-4 months that person will be ready for a REAL FILL... Also many patients have a fat pad around their stomachs and after losing weight, their bands will loosen up even further....those who's band is too tight for their anatomy....their bands will barely budge and will still be too tight regardless of how much they lose.... Here are some step by step instructions how the band filled up with saline, to test for defects: during band installation -- the AP band is blown up to the max with 15cc of saline and typically about 5cc is left in the band...I had 5cc of saline in my lap band post surgery... Now You learned something today...and hopefully you can add that to your RN resume.... http://www.lapband.c...band AP_dfu.pdf For the Scrub Tech/rN: 1. After the Circulator opens outer LAP-BAND AP® System package, pick up inner sterile container by the tab and put on back table in a secure location. 2. Peel outer wrapping at the yellow indicator on the bottom side of the Tyvek® and remove LAP-BAND AP® System and priming needle. 3. Connect priming needle to the LAP-BAND AP® System tubing end. 4. Fill a 20 cc syringe with at least 15 cc of saline and connect syringe to the priming needle. Flush the band and inflatable shell area several times, each time drawing out air bubbles. A residual amount of saline will stay in the LAP-BAND AP® System. 5. View the inflatable portion of the band for leaks or uneven inflation. 6. Inject about 5 cc saline and disconnect the syringe. The
Love the ignorance. Just because I'm an RN does not make me proficient in lap bands, nor do I claim to be. I have taken care of maybe 3 patients with the band. Honestly didn't know anything about it until I met with my surgeon. Just because one is in the medical field does not mean they know everything about everything. I personally don't care about the OR procedure, as I'm not an OR nurse or surgeon. I leave that stuff to those in that field. I prefers more reputable forms of information, than a .com can provide one. Anyone and their brother can come up with .com sites. Hence I don't really listen to any of you're knowledge - you're not proficient, nor a professional. I'm gonna leave that stuff to my surgeon. Hence the suggestions "talk to your surgeon". To be completely honest, I would HOPE the manufacturer of the lap band or any other gastric bands would test their product with saline before packaging them up and shipping them out. I'd actually put money on the fact that they do. I am proud to say I am an ER RN at a very busy and reputable level 1 trauma center in the Chicagoland area, you've prob heard of it. So I am extremely intelligent and educated. I also and open to knowledgeable info and research that my surgeon and the professionals will provide me on this lap band... Thanks

I think this post has gotten a little out of control. We are all fighting the same battle and we should all be respectful of everyone on this board. This forum can be an invaluable source of information but the final word should always come from your own surgeon. Instead of making attacks on each other, we should all be motivating and encouraging each other. Non-banded people may have the best intentions, but bandsters can really relate to exactly what you are going through. Please let's act like the adults we all are, and use each other to lean on instead of argue with.

i dont know why i keep reading this topic ... it is just stressing me out. why ask for advice or input and then keep arguing with it???

i dont know why i keep reading this topic ... it is just stressing me out. why ask for advice or input and then keep arguing with it???

You are right. Why someone can't ask a question and answer comments without drama is beyond me. But there is one person on here who no matter what the post is.... She starts crap with someone.

Had barium swallow (yum yum yum)

Everything is fine. He thinks its coffee and eggs my stomach can't tolerate.

I'm not even going to mention our discussion on "fill volume of band"