Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded 8 days ago. I had the initial gas pains right out of surgery, walked around a ton, and they went away after a few days. I haven't had gas pains for about 5 days. Then, today, BAM! I have had the pain in my left shoulder ALL DAY!! Walking doesn't help, and neither does burping (aren't I sexy?). I thought once the gas went away right after the surgery I was in the clear....is it normal to have it go away and then come back?? And how long do I have to look forward to this? Thanks in advance!

I was banded 8 days ago. I had the initial gas pains right out of surgery' date=' walked around a ton, and they went away after a few days. I haven't had gas pains for about 5 days. Then, today, BAM! I have had the pain in my left shoulder ALL DAY!! Walking doesn't help, and neither does burping (aren't I sexy?). I thought once the gas went away right after the surgery I was in the clear....is it normal to have it go away and then come back?? And how long do I have to look forward to this? Thanks in advance![/quote']

I was banded last Friday and today I started having gas pains too. I'd been in the clear for a few days but, today sucked!

I was banded 8 days ago. I had the initial gas pains right out of surgery, walked around a ton, and they went away after a few days. I haven't had gas pains for about 5 days. Then, today, BAM! I have had the pain in my left shoulder ALL DAY!! Walking doesn't help, and neither does burping (aren't I sexy?). I thought once the gas went away right after the surgery I was in the clear....is it normal to have it go away and then come back?? And how long do I have to look forward to this? Thanks in advance!

I have to say it has been nearly 2 months and I get gas more than I have ever before! I've just decided it goes with the territory!

I was banded 8 days ago. I had the initial gas pains right out of surgery' date=' walked around a ton, and they went away after a few days. I haven't had gas pains for about 5 days. Then, today, BAM! I have had the pain in my left shoulder ALL DAY!! Walking doesn't help, and neither does burping (aren't I sexy?). I thought once the gas went away right after the surgery I was in the clear....is it normal to have it go away and then come back?? And how long do I have to look forward to this? Thanks in advance![/quote']

I'm having the same problem today and I'm 8 days post op crazy

I remember having that pain for a few weeks even. It became more mild, and just when I thought it would never end, it disappeared. GasX strips are very helpful, too.

I had gas pains for almost a month after surgery. It will come and go and you can have stretches without it being a problem. Three months after surgery I still have some gas first thing in the morning which goes away pretty quickly. Certain foods will make it worse. If I have carbonated beverages I suffer greatly from gas so I avoid them. I think one of the side effects of this surgery is to have more gas than normal. You will learn pretty quickly how to deal with it. Trust me it's worth it. I am down 85 pounds in four months so hang in there.

gas must work its way out via tooting (as i refer to it) or jiffy popping :) but i am 15 months post op and still toot quite a bit......part of my banded life i reckon....

pain shoulder will eventually go away....and if i eat too fast or too much too quickly, even now it can rear its ugly head.......so go slow, pace yourself and keep moving....

My doctor gave me the solution to the major gas issue because I did all of the things each of you mentioned and nothing worked. I was also not using the bathroom as regular as I had been, so he told me to take Milk of Magnesia as directed and follow it with a hot drink. Once I got my system back on track the gas is now back to a "normal" level. But the shoulder pain has not gone away and it has actually gotten worse. I have read that there is a nerve called the vagus nerve that runs from the diaphragm area up to the left shoulder and when we have surgery as we have had it often irritates that nerve. I have been icing it down and I have to take pain meds at night to sleep. It is very annoying and painful, every time I hiccup or belch or breathe deeply my shoulder has extreme pain in. I hope this gets better soon.

I remember having that pain for a few weeks even. It became more mild' date=' and just when I thought it would never end, it disappeared. GasX strips are very helpful, too.[/quote']

I was banded in Dec 2012. Down 60lbs. I had 2% milk with Cereal and all hell broke loose. Gas like crazy. I've have used gas-x hot Water and lemon, walking, malox and nothing works. HELP ANYBODY know of something else that can help with GAS?