Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Melissa, It doesn't seem to matter where I place my feet or scale on the digital. Not so on the analog. I need to get over the numbers thing.

Jana congrats on the loss and best wishes to you and Melissa and Socalgal in reaching onderland. As always Regina, congrats on your great accomplishments. Can't wait to find out how to deal with maintenance.

No exercise and I needed a lift today. I opted for a hi Protein Bar this afternoon. It was a tasty 210 calories and now I'm not hungry for dinner. Think I'll take your lead Melissa. If I get hungry, I'll eat. I know I still need to count the calories. I'm too old to think my body will metabolize on days I eat over 1200.

Hi all. I did my regular Sunday 6.4 mile walk. I am committed to rededicating my efforts for the new year. I think I still have food issues and I really think I'll seek help about it. Otherwise, I am afraid I will cause damage to my band. I have this clock in my body that says "It's time for dinner!", even if I'm not hungry. I'll eat just because food is there. It's almost like I need to eat until I'm stuffed or at least always be full. I think it was Jack on LBT who said something about "the fear of becoming hungry". That is what I have. Anyway, thank you all for always being there for my rants! Good job to all of us for all the successes!

WHEW, our holiday open house is over. It was so much fun, but I'm really tired today. We had so many people right from the beginning and lasted the entire 4 hours. Its amazing to cook for that many people, about 75, and not eat any of it. I wasn't hungry and didn't eat until the end of it. I'll try and get some pictures of our 3 Christmas trees. It was good to see PinkyLee and meet her DH. It was kinda fun sharing our secret. She looks amazing.

I weighed today and was down 3 lbs. I'm not claiming it yet because my scale is digital and sometimes lies. I'll wait until tomorrow, but if its there again its mine!

Now I need to turn my attentions to getting ready for the cruise. We went shopping early Saturday morning and I was able to get a couple of tops to wear.

Barbara 12 let us know how David is doing. I know this is a difficult time for you and your family. You and David are in our prayers.

Got to tell you that I don't feel like I have a fill at all. I don't think the thicker saline helped at all. I'll deal with it when I get back, but I think it is gone which means I have a leak somewhere.

I am seconding all those ready for a new start in January. I kept a food log a couple of weeks ago and was horrified over my food choices. I really need to clean up what is going in my mouth and get moving on exercise.

It seems I still have a "fat" head and the desire to eat when not hungry is still with me. I don't want to damage my band either and am going to really try to adhere to the bandster rules regarding Protein and Water. I have totally let those slide lately.

Congrats to all the losers!

barbara465-are you saying that the Fluid in the band just disappears? does this happen to everyone? how would i know if that has happened to me? when i got the band they put 3ccs in it and it holds 4ccs. i have not had a fill since then. i can eat a good 4oz. sometimes less, sometimes more (if i decide to push it)-but i usually stay within in that amount.

Ok guys I am coming out of the closet at work! I have not told anyone at work about the surgery except my boss and the fitness trainer who measures me (she see's the scars), well now the fitness center at my work want to do a success story on me about the surgery in order to help people that are struggling and also to make people aware that it is NOT a magic wand there are many lifestyle changes and hard work that goes with it. I have struggled with this all weekend, and I have decided to do it. If I can help people that would be great, and I am so far along now in my weight loss who cares what everyone thinks. It should be interesting.

regina, i think that is great! it may inspire others to take control of their health, but it will also give them a true picture of what wls is all about. it seems that people have it in their minds that it is a quick fix and they don't understand that it is hard work and that lifestyle charges are a MUST.

Barbara 12 my prayers are with you and your family. We are all anxious to hear how he is doing.

Barbara 465 I am hoping to see pictures of those trees soon :-) Glad your open house went so well. And I am sorry to hear that you are probably leaking. I can't imagine eating what you described but wish I could sometimes. I don't think it was "over the top" except maybe all the hashbrowns. We should be able to eat small reasonable meals if this is "for life". However, I am still struggling to eat much of anything. Apparently I had a delayed reaction to my fill and most of the time I have not been able to eat much of anything. If it doesn't get better soon I am going to have to get some removed. Yesterday I was able to eat most of one small cod fillet at IHOP but nothing more. That kept me full all day until 6:00 p.m. I do get hungry but only a few bites of something fills me right up. Right now I am not eating enough to satisfy my nutritional requirements and am depending on Protein Shakes, Vitamins and supplements. It's not conducive to good weight loss either so I don't even have that consolation.

For the most part I can eat anything. I try real hard not to overdo, but I can eat more than most of you. I have from the very beginning. The only reason I know I have a band is because of the times I got overfilled. I don't know where or how the band is leaking. It is not common after the first fill, but it does happen. There has been no poking the tube so I don't think it is occuring there. It will be interesting to see if there is any fill left, but it will have to wait until after the new year. It wasn't until after the 7th fill/unfill that it started to disappear. In 3 weeks I lost .6 and in 1 week I lost .6. I think I've lost that much again with the thicker stuff.

I've been looking at some of your weight losses. Some have lost 70 and 80 lbs in the 6 months since banding. I haven't lost that much. If I could eat like I do now, experiencing no difficulties, and still lose weight, I would love it. I really don't have any problems with the band. Now I'm beginning to wonder what is really going on. Some of you have more difficulties, but are losing at a more rapid rate. Not sure which is better at this point. :)

Christa it sounds like you have the perfect fill. If you start to get hungry, increasing the amount you are eating, and not losing - that is the sign you need a fill. Sounds like you are doing great and the ability to eat more or less between days seems to be a common theme.

i have times when i go weeks without losing, but generally if i readjust and reevaluate what i am doing, and make changes i start to lose again. not tons of weight, but it starts again. i see that you have lost about 41lbs. since june. you don't think that is good? sometimes when i feel myself getting in a funk about not losing the 50lbs that i had hoped to lose by the end of december, i make myself calculate how much weight i was losing prior to the band and that number is a big fat zero! i was actually gaining. so, this has worked so far. sometimes i get green when i see folks that have lost 70 pounds. but, then i remember that is great for them but i didn't need to lose that amount. if i could just get my head and eyes to recognize and see the weight loss that is actually there, i would be glad. if that makes sense.

Christa94 - I think you are doing fantastic! If only I was at your weight! We are all different and it is so important not to compare ourselves to others (even though that is hard!) When I look at you I just wish I had been able to have WLS when i weighed 188 instead of waiting until I had piled on lots more lbs!!! But we are all doing good and should be very proud of what we have accomplished. Everyone of us is working on being healthier and changing our eating habits for a lifetime. I think we are all very aware that this is not just a "diet" but a lifetime commitment and we understand that we now have a tool to help us be successful at last!

Barbara465 is a fantastic hostess with a lovely home. Trees and decorations were gorgeous. Enjoyed meeting DH and puppy.

Barbara 4, do you think the band is helping at all with your weight loss?

Slow or no loss is discouraging, but I am definitely not as hungry as I would be without a band! I would not have lost 50 pounds without the band.

Laura, I also want to get back on track tomorrow. My back isn't so bad that I couldn't try at least 20 minutes exercise and last time I looked, my head was still screwed on, so counting to 1200 shouldn't be too hard.

Regina, congrats on being willing to share. The real truth about WLS should be more available (especially to those like me who were clueless until after the surgery)

I had some candy that I kept taking small nibbles of this afternoon. I'd say about 150 calories worth. They weren't that great, so I put them in the disposal and loved destroying a real enemy.

Good Morning!

I've been really bad about keeping up reading this forum and guess what? My weight goes up and down 3 pounds and I know it's because I'm not being careful.

LBT is still my best motivator. Thank you for each and every post. Even vents help us know we're not alone with tough days (or weeks).

It's a brand new world today. Last night my lovely silicon lady decided to show me who's boss. I guess she was tired of all my whining about no restriction and leaking fills. She threw a real temper tantrum and I've been humbled. The first bite of dinner was met with a golf ball and that was the highlight of the evening. It went down hill from there.

I did have a slightly alarming experience, but I guess not totally unexpected. I was so tired after the party and ordeal last night and all I wanted to do was sleep. I was PBing so it was amost near impossible. I finally propped myself up in bed with a plastic cup next to me. You know the ones I swore I would never use! Anyway, I guess I fell asleep and next thing I knew I woke up with stuff in my mouth. Gross I know, but now I understand what some were saying about it getting into your lungs. Anway, it happened again in the middle of the night. Not much sliming this time actual stuff.

I have been put on notice by my silicone friend. She has certainly gotten my attention. I looked at the calendar and guess what? Six days from the omnipack fill! Maybe that stuff is still in there. I just have to remember that I react 6-10 days after a fill.

So it might sound strange, but I'm glad to know it is there and working. Now back to being careful and watching what I eat. I did lose 2 lbs so I'm claiming them now. Two mornings in a row on the scale and their mine. :)

I'm glad for my friend. I wouldn't be down 43 lbs without her and I certainly wouldn't believe that I wouldn't gain back the lbs without her presence.

Hope everyone has a great day.