Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Congrats Barbara465 on the NSV!

I guess I've had a NSV myself this week. This week is the first week that I have actually noticed the weight loss in myself. I mean it's obvious with my clothes but it has taken time for me to see it in me. I can actually start to see my cheek bones again (and I have pretty nice cheek bones). I can feel the outline of my ribs when I lay down flat (still have to press through some of the fat, but I do have ribs). I can see climpses of my collar bone at certain angels. And most of all, I've noticed that I stand up straigter.

Melissa Lea

Congratulations to all of us on the great job so far! As I re-read the entries it is fun to see the progression - from not feeling any restriction to having problems with being too tight to thinking we are at or close to our "sweet spot". This thread is so helpful in charting our collective progress and success.

Because of the discussions here on needing another fill I decided to ask my doctor if I could get my 4th fill a week early as I was really struggling to not eat too much over Thanksgiving. He had an opening and I am now at 2.9 in my 4cc band. I definitely have restriction! I can only eat a few bites and I am totally full for hours. If I eat one bite too many I am sorry! My doctor says that as we lose weight the band loosens because we lose fat around the stomach. I have never been told that we can actually absorb into our bodies the saline that is injected into the port. I just assumed the port and tube were impermeable. Isn't it great to be able to share this information and learn new things from each other?

Thanks to all of you for being there and for sharing. It is making my journey all the more enjoyable.

You guys are all so inspiring. It makes me sorry I haven't visited our Junebie site more often. I do tend to wallow in my own stuff too much. I, too am looking for that sweet spot. I've had two fills, and I can still certainly eat too much and chew less than I should be and get away with it.

Getting a fill is a little difficult. I had to wait 6 weeks for an appointment this time, which was last Thursday, however, we had a rare and unusual snow storm that made getting there almost impossible. I had to go to the mainland for it and even the ferry I should of been on was shut down for wind. The good thing is, they told me to just come over next Thurs. and they'll try and fit me in when I get there. Not another 6 week wait.

I have been very discouraged because after my initial loss, I've been at somewhat of a standstill for a long time. If I'm able to eat more, I do. I feel like I need some drastic torturous behaviour modification to stop. Hook me up to electrodes or something.

What's keeping me from total despair, however is that I'm still getting small nsv's like fitting into something I haven't worn for a long time, or my favourite, the steering wheel no longer rubbing on my belly.

Thank you all for being here, you're great.

Hi all! I went to see my primary doctor since I needed to get my recent blood work results and my blood pressure and cholestrol medication refilled.

I found out I have low blood sugar and that my Iron was a little low but not low enough for medication.

The big surprise since my weight loss was that my cholestrol is not going down even though Iam on Zocor! She said that my liver needs to adjust to the changes since my surgery. I was like Iam eating really healthy what is the problems ?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Other than this all my blood work came back fine and she gave me a clean bill of health and I was weighted again and now I weight 233 which puts me down to 57 pounds down! I have almost reached my Christmas goal already!

The only thing is that Iam still fighting a terrible upper respitatory infection and Iam back on Zithramax for the next 7 days! This dam weather here in NY is not helping. It was 70 degrees here on Thursday and then 65 on Friday and today 40 and we might get some flurries Sunday night into Monday they are predicting.

No wonder Iam still sick!!:sick

I also have one question what is Onelander? I see it alot in posts on here! ?

Take care and I hope every one is enjoying the holiday seaon. Oh and do not hate me -IAM ALL DONE AS OF TODAY CHRISTMAS SHOPPING !! ( Thank God I did some shopping online -My U.P.S man is going to love me!---lol

Lisa

"Onederland" is when your weight begins with a 1. Something I have yet to see! I am having serious "head hunger" issues. I mean serious people! I was going to get a fill Saturday, but then I had a major slime episode on Thursday. I didn't officially PB, but I was sliming for like an hour. I am sure it was my fault for eating too fast. I decided not to get a fill until the new year. I'll be out of the country for Christmas and I don't want to have any problems far from home. I don't know what to do to get over the "200" pound hurdle. I was on anti-depressants before my operation and I stopped after due to fear of taking pills, but also because with the healthy eating and exercise, I was feeling great. I always had SAD(Seasonal Affective Disorder), so I'm thinking the shorter days and colder weather are getting me down. I need support ladies!(and gentleman) I've been eating chocolate, Doritos and all sorts of crap! HELP!

SocialGal so sorry you are having issues. I know that the holidays can bring on depression. It sounds like you are going to have a different holiday by going out of the country. That sounds exciting. I like to travel during the holidays for lots of reasons. Mainly though most people are nice, where I go is exciting, and I'm not around family. :( This year we are going on a cruise.

Some people can't correct their cholestrol with diet Lisa. Give it some time, but don't beat yourself up if you need to keep taking medication. Some people do, even at normal weights.

Devana good to hear from you. Hopefully the weather will clear and you can get a fill. Good luck with that. Lucy I hope your fill is doing OK.

I get one on Tuesday with the thicker solution. I don't have any restriction when they refilled me last week. Today is my day to eat as Tuesday it will be back on liquids.< /p>

I think it is understable at this time of year we want to hurry the process along. We want to feel thin at Christmas. It will be a challenge for all of us.

Hello, I am new to the forum, but was banded in June in MN. I just learned something from all of you about reabsorption of saline--- I thought that I was just stretching things out---

I was told I have the "big band" it sounds like the 10cc one? I really don't know how much I have in mine... I will have to ask next time. It is so nice to have help with the portion control.... I really like my band.

Thanks for being here.

Can I join you?:nervous

acdsmitte 5' 6''

pre 295

surgery day 288

last fill 238 (10/19/06)

You certainly can, and a big welcome to you. It looks like you're doing very well, too. Congratulations!

Welcome acdsmitte! Just a word about your large band. If you do have the larger ones it is made up of tiny like folds inside, like sections. Sometimes saline gets trapped in there so when they pull out to see how much is in there they don't get it all. The doctor's can't get as accurate a reading with that band because of it. It usually is called Vanguard band. Anyway, just wanted to pass that on.

I feel like I have no restriction. I don't think I have 2 cc in there now. I will be surprised if I do. If that's the case I am more concerned that there is a leak. Will see tomorrow hopefully, but I'm getting suspicous. I can just eat way too much.

solid food today so I'm going out to lunch. Liquids start again tomorrow. :D

Welcome acdsmitte. I'm glad that you found us.

Barbara 465 --I doubt that you have a leak. You probably will benefit from the change in saline to the thicker solution (omnipaque). I am finding I have moments where I can eat anything and then I have moments I really can't eat. This is new to me to have such a "fickle" band. I guess time will tell over the next couple of weeks how this fill is working.

Everyone else getting fills/unfills --good luck and hang in there.

Melissa Lea

Hi all! From reading all the post lately it sounds like the holidays is going to be tought for all of us. I was finally properly diagnosed ( after almost 2 years of being uncertain ) with Bipolar Type 2 which is the less serious type. I had the current medication upped for the holidays to take the edge off. I am not the violent Bipolar type that throws or hurts anyone, I am very vocal and get very nasty. I can go from calm to excitable very quickly- I guess you can say Iam very high strung! I will be starting on new medication in the New Year!

Depression is hard to life with but has gotten easier now that my weight is under control. I am learning to live with the fact that my Biploar is genetic and was passed down by a family member. I have had it all my life and with the right medication I will be able to control it and live my life to the fullest.

As for the onelader I have not been there since 1990 when I was 20 years old! Iam now 36 and will 37 on January 6th, I guess maybe by my one year surgery date( June 13th) I will be in the onelanders!

Right now we all need to support each other throught the holidays and remember we are all in this together !

Love and hugs,

Lisa:girl_hug: :kiss2:

hello all! well, i did it. i hit my first mini-goal-40 pounds lost! now, i have 9 more to go. i hope i can do it by december 29th. my husband and best friend are really on me because they think i am getting out of control with this weight loss thing. i can't see a 40 pound difference and they think it is a big red flag. body image issues that could lead me down anorexia avenue again. i disagree immensely. it is not that i can't tell i have lost weight, but to me it just looks like a 5 or 10 pound loss. but, my husband stresses that i have lost over 20% of my body weight and that i have to get a grip. i am out of control because i count calories and how many calories i have burned, and exercise four or more times a week and weigh myself daily and if we go out of town (like for our honeymoon) i will tag the scale with me. but, i do that to stay on top of things. to monitor things so that i know if i need to make changes. i had this surgery for success so i am trying to make that happen. what could be so wrong with that?

Christa, they just have your best interest at heart. Many overweight people as they lose weight don't see it. It causes them to sabotage themselves because they don't see the changes or maybe they do. Some can't accept their new thinner body. Not to say that is happening to you, but there are some red flags. You should be seeing the new you and rejoycing in your loss. (taking the scale with you is a little extreme. :D) Are you 8 lbs from goal? From your signature line it looks like that.

barbara465--yep. i take the scale with me anytime i am away from home overnight. yep. i am 8 pounds from goal. according to the scale. but, in the mirror it looks like i should go another 20 or 30 more. of course, i won't. but, it just feels like that with my distorted body image.

Thanks for the support! Holidays are rough! I go to work and find treats everywhere. Behind me Satan!

Depression and holidays seem to go hand in hand. It is so important to know this and work at keeping busy, exercising and if needed take the medication. My biggest problem has always been my weight. I tried a few meds to help lose weight but all I got was a headache and no weight loss.

Christa, husbands are so afraid we will lose the weight and leave them. I was naughty and did not tell mine about my banding. I have 3 herniated discs and just told him I needed to lose weight to decrease the pain. So I told him I was on a diet and choose to eat smaller portions. ( Thanks to the band I finally can eat smaller portions!)

When I need to feel like I have lost weight I go and try on clothes and love to take the size that did not fit in June. Down from size 28 to 20.