Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

YEAH!!! Onederland! Congrats Pinky! I've been so close for so long, but I think it is mental sabotage. That's one reason I wanted to do this Dr. Oz thing. If I can get over that hurdle, it will mean alot. I walked to my polling place tonight-20 minutes round trip and I am about to do the Intermediate level on the You workout DVD. I stayed on this "diet" today and did well. I couldn't even finish my dinner.

Good to see ya Lucy! Don't be a stranger.....

A lot of us are having Constipation, and looking for easy to make, easy to eat, healthy low fat filling foods. So I wanted to share a super simple Soup recipe to make that goes down really easy on the band, and is super healthy and will give you Fiber and Fluid and get you moving!

The basic is fat free broth - I use chicken, then add lots of frozen chopped spinach, however thick you prefer it, with lots of broth and a little spinach, or loaded... for health the more spinach the better, and it is the anti-constipation miracle, lol. and for Protein add chopped firm tofu. Salt and pepper to taste. I do mine in the crock pot.

Add on's I regularly use, diced onion, garlic, instead of tofu just before eating I add cubed feta cheese in the really hot soup so it melts slightly. Different veggies, any leftovers that might enhance it, etc. Sometimes I add skim milk and blend it smooth.

I do a huge batch in the crockpot and whenever I get hungry, start with a bowl, mine is heavy on spinach and heavy on tofu - the fiber from the spinach and the protein from the tofu really help to keep me feeling full. It's very low cal low fat, and practically guilt free, I don't have to worry about eating too much of it. The spinach and the tofu are very very soft, and I know there is no way I can get stuck on them.

I'm not usually a cooked spinach fan, but this way I love it. the bonus, it keeps me regular, while being easy on my system, giving me tons of Iron and protien and health benefits from the leafy greens.

Everyone is doing awesome...

oh, and for the record, as much as I believe in natural health remedies, I don't believe in colon cleansing products, eat healthy foods high in fiber and lots of fluids and it will resolve itself.

I also snack on loads of cut veggies which go down really easy. I love the packages of sugar peas in the pod where they already have the string removed and you can just eat the whole thing. I also am going through mandarins like crazy, I love mandarin season. I've found it's the best way to deal with irregularity is to max out my fruit and veggie intake, it also stops me from snacking on junk.

Keep up the good work everyone!

I appreciate the input from everyone on colon cleansing. My reasons for considering a cleanse are not for Constipation but for the reported benefits that come from the cleansing. I've done quite a bit of reading and it makes sense to me. I think our bodies were built to handle way more fiber than we get these days. I know I don't get near the fiber that I need. It just makes sense to me that we don't move things through our colon like we should. If you haven't, you should look at some of the pictures of things expelled during a cleanse.

I have ordered the "Colon Blow" that someone mentioned on this thread. If it gets here in time I plan to try it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. If anyone has any real "horror" stories about this stuff please let me know soon.

If nothing else I got some chuckles out of the Colon Blow website.

Pinkylee how wonderful! How does onederland feel? You should be so proud. I'll be there next year to join you. I don't think I can make it this year, but maybe get closer.

Thanks for the receipes and suggestions for getting more fiber. I try eating creamed spinanch and I get scared a few bites into it. Its like it gets stuck or slimy or something. I think I'll try blending it so I can't see the strings. Same goes for fruit and pea pods. I think I just get scared and cause some of the problems myself.

We went for a 30 minute fast walk when I got home yesterday. I can hardly move today. I had been without my arthritis medicine for a few days and maybe that's contributing to this pain. :)

I found a new Centrium multi Vitamin for those over 55 that is Wild berry. It tastes much better so maybe I can get the two in a day the doctor recommends.

Well Barbara 12 what can I say? Have a rootin tootin weekend? Hope all comes out OK. :(

One more day of liquids and on to mushies. I can't tell about the fill, but I'm not eating as much Soup as before so maybe. Time will tell as I don't react to fills until at least 6 days later.

my husband and i tried the colon cleanse a little earlier this year. i received some info/newsletter about the benefits of it in the mail. we were convinced it would be beneficial, especially for him since he is 56 and had never cleansed himself. so for 2 months he did it. he didn't really experience any of the benefits. no parasites releaesd from his instestines, no overall change in mood, no weight loss. just regular bowels. i got sick to my stomach from the cleanse and threw up a couple of times because the herbs or whatever is in them was way to pure for my system. it was the stuff that was supposed to scrub your instestines.

I have to say Onderland does feel great even though it's already run and hid behind 200.0 this am. Go figure, exercise, Water and 800 calories yesterday. Hope a new low buddy returns by tomorrow (my 5 month bandiversary)!

Barbara465 perhaps the walking on top of the fill and liquids was too much for you. Maybe you should splurge on a massage or pedicure. You might have a touch of the bug that's going around. Take care.

I'm still chuckling over some of these posts.

NSV. Walking DVD just wouldn't work this am, so I began "jogging" around doing light housework. My darling dogs seeing me in my tennis shoes badly wanted a walk but they spend way too much time sniffing rather than walking. Finally I couldn't resist their pleas so we agreed to walk fast and stop seldom. We started out with a quick walk, and when they did stop to sniff, I jogged in place. What a wonderful workout. It's a beautiful day and I found another way to multitask with a chore (exercise) that's not much fun.

Leila, how's post op treating you? Thanks for Soup recipe.

:clap2: Congratulations!!! Onederland!! What an accomplishment! I remember seeing the number "198" and thnking it said "298" because I didn't believe I would EVER see Onederland!!! You are doing great - keep it up.

Barbara - I am proud of what you have accomplished - don't think that my level of exercise puts yours to shame:) - I started hiking about three years ago even though I was very heavy and so I have built up stamina and muscle even though I wasn't losing weight. It takes a long time to get into shape - believe me I know! And thank you for the research - I don't eat much at fast food restaurants because I am never sure of what I can eat and how many calories/grams of Protein it contains. This information helps to make better choices. I did not know that a small milkshake contained 420 calories!!! I do know my doctor said that milkshakes are The Enemy! Now I know why:)

Lucy

Pinkylee - I wear jeans all the time - with a belt. I am not concerned about binding but maybe that is because I am ignorant of what the problems can be. Could you please tell me the reason for your concern in case I am doing something wrong?

Thanks

Lucy

My doctor says I am right on track losing 1 lb a week. I'm down 23 lbs. I have been discouraged. The hardest part for me is giving up the alcohol. I need to constantly remind myself why I did this. I need support.

Julie

You've lost almost 3 bowling balls. Imagine carrying 3 bowling balls everywhere you go. You were and now you aren't. That's why you did it. Going slower means less loose skin for some folks. Slather on the cream each night and feel good about the current new you. This process is like a pregnancy. It seems to go by slowly, but then suddenly it's all over and nothing but a memory. If it takes two years of total commitment to diet and exercise, you will be that much stronger in maintenance.

Tell yourself alcohol will be back on your list some day. I'd say a daily glass of wine has a lot better chance of being healthy for you than a daily candy bar.

Lucy, I checked with my PA regarding jeans. I sometimes feel a stitch in my side. She laughed and said it was gas. Our stomachs aren't at our waists, although there are parts of my body that seem to want to head there! I kinda wondered if my loose tummy flab tucked into my jeans might be tugging on my port of something. She said no way. Wear the jeans.

Julie-

That's why we all come here-for support. What is your routine like? Are you exercising? Writing down what you eat? Have you had a fill? Anyway, don't give up! Re-commit yourself every morning and just do the best you can. Also, measure yourself! Maybe you've had success there that hasn't been reflected on the scale. Those NSVs keep me going! Hang in there!

Pinkylee thanks for asking your dr about wearing jeans. I am enjoying wearing my size 14 jeans with my shirt tucked in and a belt and I sure did not want to find out I shouldn't be doing that!

Also, I had a revelation this morning of the power of the band. I have always had a weakness for maple bars and someone brought a box of donuts (including maple bars) into the office. Because of the band and how painful even ONE bite of bread is I can only look at the maple bar but can't eat it. Believe me if I didn't have this band no amount of determination on my part would keep me from eating that maple bar (maybe BOTH of them :-) I really am glad I have this band!

Lucy

Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted it has been a rough week, I had my fill on Monday 10/31, everything was fine last week, then last weekend I started getting a scratchy throat on Sat., then on sunday when I tried to eat 2 bites, whamo, it wasn't going down, it cam back up. Then later that evening i tried again and same thing would not go down. Monday came and I was so hungary, and started running a fever. still couldn't eat. Monday night throat was soooo sore I cried when I swallowed. So to my doc on Tuesday morning, found out I had the flu and a severe sinus infection. Mucus was blocking my hole making me not be able to eat. Called band doc and he told me to drink some room temp pinapple juice, it would act like drano and unblock my port from the mucus. So I did it, then I was able to eat, but still so sick. Today I came in the office for a few hours but still feeling really bad. So I just thought I would check in.

Pinky- congrats on your Onderland, it's still there, claim it!!!!!

Lucy- sounds like you had a wonderful time. Glad your back and with a weight loss to boot.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their week.

Regina

Regina

Take care of yourself. Glad to hear from you, but so sorry you are ill.

Thanks for sharing about the pineapple juice. Maybe allergies are our culprit to fickle bands?

You new fill gals keep us posted and take care. Socalgal, hang tough.

Lucy, I can't tell you the number of times I've said no to a favorite treat for fear of a PB. Lately though, it's been more "why bother" or "I don't have time".

Barbara465 and Barbara12 are you better or do you have the gulfcoast crude too?

PS I usually weigh in my underwear, but this am I had to take everything off in order to see 199.5. DH told me he even takes off his glasses