Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!!! Can't eat - just got of 3 hr flight

I'm traveling for business this week and have not been able to eat since I landed. Does flying cause complications? I tried to have dinner tonight but vomited several times. Only able to tolerate broth. Cold liquids come right back up. Does this mean I have a slip. Should I go to the ER? My co-working know nothing of my surgery. How do I explain this? Need all the advice I can get.

Surgery date 5/8/12

6.8cc in 10 cc band

Sorry to hear of your issue. I have flown several times with a pretty tightly restricted band....without the symptom you describe. Did you have any issues prior to your flight? Possibly eat something that has caused some irritation? I hope youre feeling better soon!

I have noted posts in the past that claim flying causes swelling. Most suggest to hold off on a fill prior to filing and stick strictly to liquids first 24hrs (occas 48hrs) after flying and then slowly progress to mushies!

Also warm liquids like tea will help with the swelling and if you must eat out try Soup.

--hope this helps

Im not sure about the band being effected by flying...but my son who is fed through a G-Tube had terrible discomfort when we flew...We called his dr and was told it will feel better in a lil that flying does both some children's G tubes.....hope you get relief soon

bother *

I'm traveling for business this week and have not been able to eat since I landed. Does flying cause complications? I tried to have dinner tonight but vomited several times. Only able to tolerate broth. Cold liquids come right back up. Does this mean I have a slip. Should I go to the ER? My co-working know nothing of my surgery. How do I explain this? Need all the advice I can get.

Surgery date 5/8/12

6.8cc in 10 cc band

Flying usually does not cause complications with the band, but sometimes some people even myself have experienced a tighter band in higher elevations.

If your band has tighten up to the point where you can barely swallow your saliva, you probably need to see your surgeon asap to get some saline removed to help reduce any inflammation.

Also, when your band is TIGHT, sometimes you don't have any room for error, and if anything happens, stress, higher elevation, eating something that has irritated the band and swollen your stoma, the band will close shut.

In the meantime, stick with warm liquids, and avoid vomiting until you see your surgeon, constant vomiting will make things worse and cause obstruction.

You need to see your lap band surgeon ASAP.

Please run this by your doctor first.

A liquid antiinflammatory may be warranted to help you (like liquid Motrin)

Drink only hot fluids at this time, even if it's just Water. Sip frequently and get rehyrdated. Dehyrdation will cause the cells in your stomach/esophogus to shrink causing more restriction

Go and buy some Protein shakes for nutrition. Refrain from solids for at least 24 hrs to allow the existing inflammation to not be agitated and to subside

If this last for more than 24 hrs, you need to find a fill center in the area and get an unfill. Can't find one, go to an ER. Dehydration happens rapidly and can cause severe lethargy and overall sense of illness.

In the future, avoid fills before traveling (not sure if you had one, just putting it out there), always have a fill center contact for the area you are traveling, be sure to hydrate well while sitting in the airport, on the plane etc (this is overlooked as we spend hours in security lines, waiting rooms and on the plane itself), refrain from foods w/ salt to encourage hydration, go easy on your eating as to not agitate your band in case it is sensitive to subtleties like elevation etc.

My husband travels for a living. Just got back from an 18 hr flight from Africa. He is also banded. He does not suffer from any side effects. So either you are dehydrated or your band IS indeed sensitive and you need to take precautions in the future

Thanks everyone....I'll stick to warm liquids tomorrow. I have never vomited so much in my life, I'm sure there's irriation. Will call my surgeon's office for official Dr's advice too.

Thanks again...You guys are awesome!!!

Please run this by your doctor first.

A liquid antiinflammatory may be warranted to help you (like liquid Motrin)

Drink only hot fluids at this time, even if it's just Water. Sip frequently and get rehyrdated. Dehyrdation will cause the cells in your stomach/esophogus to shrink causing more restriction

Go and buy some Protein shakes for nutrition. Refrain from solids for at least 24 hrs to allow the existing inflammation to not be agitated and to subside

If this last for more than 24 hrs, you need to find a fill center in the area and get an unfill. Can't find one, go to an ER. Dehydration happens rapidly and can cause severe lethargy and overall sense of illness.

In the future, avoid fills before traveling (not sure if you had one, just putting it out there), always have a fill center contact for the area you are traveling, be sure to hydrate well while sitting in the airport, on the plane etc (this is overlooked as we spend hours in security lines, waiting rooms and on the plane itself), refrain from foods w/ salt to encourage hydration, go easy on your eating as to not agitate your band in case it is sensitive to subtleties like elevation etc.

My husband travels for a living. Just got back from an 18 hr flight from Africa. He is also banded. He does not suffer from any side effects. So either you are dehydrated or your band IS indeed sensitive and you need to take precautions in the future

Thanks hazelsbliss. And my last fill was in early August (only .2cc's) I'm sipping Vitamin Water as we speak. So glad to hear this is not related to flying. One other concern for me is taking my heartrate meds. It's a small pill but at this point I'm scared to even try. I'll break in half and take with hot tea - can't miss a dose. Wish me luck.

My band is very sensitive to changes in altitude. Just as some people tend to swell during flight, the abdomen can as well. If you find that altitude puts pressure on the band don't eat an hour before flight and take it easy for the next 24 hours. My husband and I fly frequent and this works for me. I also have to remind myself to drink plenty of Water to stay hydrated while we travel. Hope you feel better soon.

Surgery date 5/8/12

6.8cc in 10 cc band

the Fluid in the band expands in flight. I was told to only do liquids for a day when traveling by air.

I have just returned from a three hour flight and a holiday where eating was very difficult . I think it was several things and I just accepted that as long as I was patient it would sort itself. It has and I feel very much better and I'm ten pounds lighter!