Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stay away from Dr Milton Owens in Orange CA!!!

I posted this under "My story" but maybe this will save someone searching for a surgeon some misery if they read this here first.

Unfortunately, I have Dr Milton Owens as my Dr at Chapman Medical Center in Orange, CA. He NEVER remembers who I am OR my history, he is rude and downright mean. I also think he is a sadist who wants to make me suffer for asking legitimate questions about my healthcare. He is dismissive, arrogant etc. Some examples of screwed up things he has said/done:

~Once I cheated (post op) and ate doritos and I was very afraid that I would tear something or who knows what. I called to ask for advice (i.e. to throw up, slam Water...whatever) He said "If you are going to eat doritos why did you bother having the surgery?"

~I asked for a SECOND fill because I was having ZERO restriction, was always hungry and had waited 2 weeks already. He said, "Whats wrong with being hungry? You are not starving. The average person could survive on their fat stores for about a month, for you it would be even longer."

~I got an OVERFILL from him once and was in so much misery I called within 24 hours to get an unfill. As a cash patient, I was really hoping to take advantage of his alleged "24 hour FREE return visit for complications" but he said since it was a Saturday I still had to pay $200. He also said "If I called a plumber after hours it would cost $200 n hour, if I called an attorney it would be $350 an hour. I thought I was doing you a FAVOR."

~When I make appointments with him he refuses to see me 2 doors over in his practices office for $200, but forces me to make my appointments in the office that he shares with the hospital for an additional $126 a visit.

Lastly, on one occasion when I asked him if he thought I should have more of a fill due to non restriction, he unfilled me then refilled me to almost maximum capacity. I was sweating and bubbling and gagging and he kept making me drink Water to show me what "too much fill" was.

I hate this man but so far have not been able to find anyone else who will take a cash patient for just fills. (I got divorced and lost my health insurance) but PLEASE do not subject yourself to this horrible, maybe evil ass of a human being. My whole lapband experience has been hell, and Im trapped. Don't be like me!!!

If you don't mind me saying, try and find a doctor who is supportive. You can switch. If you would move you'd need to switch, well if he's arrogant, switch.

My doc is sympathetic, but stern. He wants his patients to be successful. If you cheat, you're cheating yourself. And I get that, but we are also human. As you get more restriction from the band, you will actually find yourself cheating less.

If you can. Take the time and research and find a new doc. No point and going somewhere that makes you stressed. That will only lead to stress eating, and you don't want that.

I wish you the best, he sounds awful. :(

Sounds like a bad experience and definitely worth keeping in mind if considering the doctor.

Please, do us a favor and fill out some details so we know you are a real Lap band patient and not an ex-employee with a grievance.

By the way, I like my doctor's practice a lot. They are out of Newport beach - The New Program. Check them out, not sure if they take transfers though.

Hi, I've been there with my Dr too. He would do things such as overfill or constantly jab the needle all around the port as if he can't find it. But it is intentional B/C he only does it if he is annoyed. I would sweat and be in agony. Then he would say AWWW I'm sorry. Needless to say, I stayed away from him and was later told that he was relocating out of town. YAYYY!! I am transfering to another Dr. but have to pay a fee. Hopefully I can get back on track.

Update! I have ditched the butcher, Milton Owens, and found Dr Misra of Beverly Hills Physicians. Half the price of Owens an hour closer to me AND she is awesome! She actually went over my concerns with me and gave me an actual plan with goals. At the end I even got a freaking hug! Never again will I subject myself to that other jerk!..........btw, I don't have to justify my experience with anyone. I'm not an angry Lapband office employee, I'm an angry Veteran who was being treated like crap. Read my post and take from it what you want.