Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Foods did you have to give up?

Im brand new to the page, and soon to be banded.

This is a topic I have been thinking about.

What about sushi? It seems like the rice has given many people a problem, but maybe sashimi will work?

Anyone have any experiences with this?

The one time I ate sushi since my band I didn't have any problem. Of course I had to take small bites, but rice doesn't bother me. Now that I have more restriction though the seaweed may be troublesome. I'm not a huge sushi fan though, maybe 2x a year.

Congrats on the impending surgery!

:) Kristin

I had to give up Sushi. I found this out very recently and am very disappointed. I love the rolls. Spider roll, calif. roll, etc. I have tried but the seaweed wrap just won't chew small enough and the rice is very sticky.

I am about 3 1/2 months out and have pretty good restriction...

Here is my list:

pizza

Steak

Tortillas

Sometimes chicken

Triscuits

Eggrolls (or anything wrapped like that)

If bread is toasted, sometimes I can do that. I don't eat any soft breads....Man, learning the hard way stinks!:faint:

I am only 8 days post surgery.....last week was tough......even the liquids felt like a rock in my tummy......tonight I cooked a moist salmon with augrautin potatoes.....I was able to have a mini portion of both and it was the first real meal I have had in over two weeks. I knew not to overeat...and stick with a sample sized amount. Very slowly and with tons of chewing....as I am a coward for any problems.

I was away for a night during the holiday weekend....Sunday night I ordered french onion Soup....the chef graciously pureed the onions for me and I slowly enjoyed the melted provolone slice on top.....Well, I never slept the whole night......it was like a brick in my stomach......so maybe I am not yet ready for cheese products.

Just taking baby steps....and hoping not too many band-aids in my future...LOL

big hugs....and smiles.....

diane : )

bread, fries, anything "doughy"... But I do fine with chicken, I eat that a lot, cheese too, and lots of Soup. I heard some can't do soda, but I can, if I do it slowly. I can't do salad really well, something about the lettuce never goes down... Of course all this depends on how tight my band is...

OK, i can eat ALMOST anything...i am having trouble with beef, not hamburger meat, but steak, roast, etc. no matter how much i chew, it just wont break up enough.

bread, pizza crust/dough, broccoli, some noodles, deli meat, steak

Those are my no no foods for now. I am sure I will discover more along my WL journey.

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Oritz

241 highest/237 surgery/203/150

5'7''

LOTSOFKIDS- You're already on to fish and potatoes after 8 days! Be careful, I'm sure it's what your doc told you but take it easy because you're really trying to heal. At 8 days out, I think most of us were still on liquids/soups or mushies.

:) Kristin

I had the worst experience with chicken for the 1st time yesterday. It was BBQ grilled without the skin. I ate two bites and experienced the worst pain in my chest. I was at work so I quickly went to the ladies room and the slimming began then finished with vomiting several small times. It could have been because I was really busy at work and did not realize I ate it too fast. I threw the entire remaining chicken in the trash. Don't think I will have that anytime soon. Also, I have no desire to eat anything in the morning.

Hi all,

I am amazed at how many newly banded people move on from liquids to foods quickly. My surgeon told me that I should follow the liquid diet for 2 weeks then move on to mushies for the next 2 weeks. He said that this allows the stomach to heal completely and could possibly lead to me needing less fills in the future.

I have skipped a couple of days ahead during dinner time by eating mushies the last 2 nights but other than that have stayed with the liquid. My nutrionist told me the same thing the surgeon did.

I would be interested to know why the differing information about the stages of food to take in.

Jessica- I think our surgeons came from a similar school of thought. That was the diet prescribed to me. I did have to go on mushies a day or two earlier because I was exercising a lot and getting weak, but other than that I think it helped my healing. All surgeons are different, but the one that we were on was what is recommended by Inamed.

;) Kristin

Kristin,

I have not exercised at all yet. I gave myself 2 weeks to heal then I will start with the walking again and build up to going back to Curves.

When were you banded?

I also read your post about sushi. I hope I don't have any problem either because I love it! I could eat it 3 times a week and be so happy. Of course, if I go 3 times a week now I will only be able to eat what I would have eaten in 1 visit!

Luckily we always go to our favorite sushi place where they start making our usual when they see us walk in the door. They will make anything any way I want it, so if it is a problem I'm sure I can work around it

Jessica-I was banded 3/8/06 and I have a good level of restiction (1.8cc in a 4.cc band) so that may be why I had trouble with the seaweed. But it definately sounds like they would probably work with you! Just remember, everyone is different about what they can and cannot eat. Some of the things that people cannot eat on this thread, I can definately eat. It's just a game of trial and error! :)

;) Kristin

Hi all,

I know we can eat crackers and I often read "whole wheat" is this a triscuit type cracker or something else? I am trying to get in all my Fiber so I'm thinking a Triscuit would really help but I'm not sure if that cracker will cause a problem. Please give any cracker recommendations you have or even list any problem crackers.

thanks!