Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I eating too much?

I was just banded on August 13th, and have been to my first doctor appt. after surgery. I have lost 18.2 lbs. since I started the 2 wee pre-op diet to now. I was told I could start mushies on Aug. 20th. I know I'm not eating a lot but I don't really feel full when I eat. I'm having a hard time eating slow as I have always eaten too fast. I'm worried and don't want to eat too much. I had the lasagna bowl recipe that I saw here under recipies and it was delicious - total of 1/2 cup and I was comfortable after I ate it all. But today I had that again plus a tablespoon or so of chicken salad and a small peeled Tomato. Am I eating too much? I thought even though I've not had any fills yet that I'd still feel some restriction. I'm confused. I know that I'm eating way less than what I've have eaten in the days before I started all this, but it still seems like I may be eating too much because I am not feeling a restriction. Please help!!! Thanks so much!!! Teri

What were the precise post op directions given to you by your surgeon? These instructions tend to vary by the physician, so it is essential that you follow the directions you were given prior to your surgery.

Many people will not have restriction to any degree until after they have had several fills. We are all different. Just because you can eat more than your allotted amount does not mean that you should. You could risk stretching your pouch or esophagus if you were to get into the habit of eating too much.

There is a stage many of us encounter known as "bandster hell" before you have much if any restriction, when you are able to eat more than your allowed portion and are still hungry. Just be aware that some of the responsibility for weight loss rests with you to comply with your post op instructions. If others have survived this stage, you can too!

If your surgeon did not provide you with detailed instructions as to what and how much you should be eating, get in contact with them for their instructions as to what and how much you should be eating.

Hi Teri:

I didn't feel any restriction until my second fill - the third put me in the green zone. Don't be concerned about it right now, the key is not to feel hungry so as long as you are topping off with quality Proteins you don't have anything to worry about. Just don't over eat - know your "soft stop" sign (a burp, a sigh or something simple like that) and then stop. The key to losing with the band is for your body not to feel hungry - not to starve it. If you are hungry, you need to put an end to it with something band and diet friendly that keeps you within your calorie count for the day. At your stage, I was just shy of getting my first fill, I was hungry faster than I am now and I ate way more than I should have, but I still lost because I kept myself from being hungry and I didn't PB or vomit in the process.

If you haven't scheduled your first fill, you should try to get that done in about another week. That will help with the amount of food you are able to consume and how long it stays with you.

I can not beleive you are already are eating normal food. I have 6 weeks of protien shakes, milk, yogurt, Jello, and puddings. I can do a yogurt and a protien shake and maybe a glass of milk a day. I was banded on 8/1/13. It is hard for me to get in all my protien and Water.< /p>

I didn't feel any restriction whatsoever until the third fill, and then it was just a little. During this time I counted calories, fat grams, Protein, etc. Some people continue to count all that stuff for a lifetime, but when I'm in the green zone I don't feel the need to count anything, but do make sure I get in enough protein.

Thanks to both of you! PrettyThick1 - my first fill is not scheduled until 5 weeks from date of my surgery - so I don't get my fill till Sept. 22nd. I hope I will be ok by then. Like I said, I know I'm eating way less than I used to eat, but I also know I'm eating sometimes a bit more than just the 1/2 - 1 cup of food at a meal. I do try to make what I eat have lots of Protein - such as cottage cheese and the spaghetti sauce with shredded low fat cheese and parmesan cheese, and today I made some chicken salad made with low fat mayo and some relish plus tomatoes without the skin. I also have been having sugar free instant pudding made with skim milk. I am trying hard to eat slower - I do know that is one of my problems is I'm just eating too fast. Thanks again!!!Teri

I was surprised she told me at my first appointment after surgery that I could begin on mushies food. I was banded on 8/13 and went to first appt. on 8/19 and was told I could start mushies on evening of 8/19. I know one thing....that cottage cheese sure tasted good!! I was really looking forward to it! LOL

Ha ha I can not wait to eat. You get so sick of protien shakes and yogurt. I wish I could have cottage cheese it would be a great change.

My dietician told me I can have 1/2 to 1 cup of food per meal. I'm having a hard time and don't want to eat too much. I'm only one week out after being banded, won't have a fill for 5 more weeks and I am afraid of eating too much. One cup is not much and I can't really tell anything is different after my surgery so I'm having a hard time. I know that I eat too fast....so I'm trying to be really conscious of this and slow down. What are some of you eating in this mushie stage? I'm all worried too because am supposed to go to 2 events this weekend and of course both have food there - so what would be something good for me to take with me for me to eat? I know at one event, they are having sloppy joes....definitely can't do the bun...but would it hurt for me to have it with no bun??