Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band surgery in 2008

I had my lap band in February of 2008 and by August of 2008 I had gone from a starting highest weight of 390 lbs to 269lbs. I had my Protein managed my life in full control had just turned 40 felt confident and felt as if I was on the way to goal weight. My reason for the surgery was for my health because I have three young children and I want to be here to see them grow up. For the first time I started to realize sadly that people treat you different as you become thinner. I remember wondering why this man was waiting to hold a door for me going into work one day and when I told my thinner friends they said don't people always hold doors for you. People were proud of me and I was amazed at the weight loss and the way I was making myself a priority and how I could do things wiht my kids. On my 4oth birthday I was called into my bosses office and let go in a lay off and than was unemployed and found a job shortly and within a week found out I was pregnant which was unexpected considering I had done infertility treatment for years . I learned quickly that my baby was notto growing and for agonizing weeks I went three times a weeek only to see my baby not growing and his heart rate dropping and I felt destroyed when I miscarried at 14 weeks, I started to gain weight after that not caring about myself went into a deep depression for months over the loss of my baby developed pnuemonia and than had to move and had financial problems and it has been year after year of reason why I have not followed the lap band and why I gave up all excuses and now I have gained back 60 pounds of weight and feel bad a bout myself feel as if I am a failure and trying to pick up the pieces to loose this weight and get back to healthy. I went to a waterpark with my kids and got stuck in the float device that my husband had to pull it off me while people watched and my medical health has failed I now have high blood pressure and high cholestoral stress out of control . So my lap band story is not the best but there is still chance for change and the time has come I make the change because now at 45 I feel the depression and frustration and hear the comments of how I had surgery and it faile and she gained so much weight back how could she and it hurts. I don't want to die from obesity. My mom is in a nursing home because she is so obese she cannot walk now and needs 24 hour care and I dont want my kids to see me like that. Well I have shared my story and I need support to reach my goal because I just can't seem to get that mindset when your first banded and that feeling back which i need. I just dont take care of myself and need advice and support to get back on track

Meg1234, I'm so sorry for the loss of your baby. I have gone thru that myself, many years ago. I, also, am having a hard time getting that feeling right after banding and loosing weight and feeling great about it. So, you're not alone in that feeling. I'll pray for you, and for myself, and maybe that will help us both.

Well the good news is you have not gained all your weight loss. Without your band you would probably weigh even more than you did when you got banded. Another piece of good news is that you are already banded and have a tool that can help you with the weight loss. I'm definitely sorry to hear about the trials you've gone through lately and honestly if it was me I would need some counseling to help get me back on track. We're here in the forums if you need help and encouragement and I'm sure you'll get more weight off and your life will start getting better. Good luck!

My best advise is first see if you can get into a support group in your area. This is a good place for support but somehow I think you need more, people you can personally interact with. You might even want to post here to see if you can find people in your area to connect with. The support of people walling the same path as you is so very helpful. My success started 2 yeas before the band, and it was the support of trainers and others at the gym I attended that brought me the success I am having today. I feel your pain, I am 58 now but about 12 years ago I came to the realization if I did not change my lifestyle my fate could be the same as my mothers. She was just 18 when I was born, she has not been able to walk for 15 years or more due to weight, she has many weight related issues and see too has lived in a nursing home for 11 years now. Did I want that to be my life's story, NO! I will be praying for you dear one. Blessings to you today and always. ~Susan

Dear heart, I am so sorry for all that you have been through - especially the loss of your baby. However, do not be dismayed! You already have the device that can help turn the obesity problem around. Start with the 5 day pouch test (liquids) and then go for a check up and a fill. You are here amongst friends, we are happy to help support you through your trying times and to encourage you that you can do this!

It's good that you've made this post, the responses you will receive will show you that you are not alone in this battle - and you should never feel like you are. Start today by re-educating yourself, the same way you did before you were initially banded. Ask questions and seek feedback. You are not a lost cause, by far! You fell down, we are here to lift you back up...but you have to want to write that success story as bad as we want to hear it from you.

Good luck and blessings! You can do this, I believe in you.

God bless you! You have restarted your journey with this message on lapband forum! Good luck! Karen

:o How can I help? Share a homemade latte with me: 1 1/2 C. cold coffee, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tbsp. Splenda, 1 tbsp. cocoa, 2 tbsp. powdered Protein 4 ice cubes and a little skim milk to fill to the line in your blender. (Change the amounts to your own taste). I sip with a straw and it is really good. Under 100 calories and it kills all hunger. The next real meal I cut all portions in 1/2. (Also the next one.) I plan to do all my eating slowly & in daylight. No eating after dark. I find I don't have to change family meals this way and I lose without any fuss or mess. I do think of fresh seasonal fruits & vegetables and pass on salted foods when shopping. Also no sodas, regular or diet. (I don't crave them after a few days and the latte fills that criteria.) I have not tried sugar-free Jello lattes (You could change flavors in this area.) but just want to keep the food cravings at a minimum. I can truthfully say my simple plan works and I don't say "dieting"! Wishing you good Sparking! :wub:

Looks as thought your post got doubled...here is my response from the other:

Thank you for having the courage to post here. It must have been hard to do so.

YOU are not a failure. You have been through some things. It is time to make yourself a priority again. You did NOT gain all the weight back, that is GREAT. I am sorry to read of the loss of your baby. Depression is a horrible disease, but there is help for it. Seek out medical attention for it. That can help you with your band jorney as well.

Then get to your band surgeon and get it all checked out. Get a fill if needed. Go back to band rules eating.

Best wishes to you.

What wonderful posts to help lift the spirit! Your story is a touching one, there are too many of us I fear that have walked a similar path.

It sounds like you have a loving family, and people that truly care for you. Now it is time for you to care about you. You have already started your journey by reaching out to all of the amazing and supportive people on this board, but you must keep being brave and take that next step and start to carve out time for YOU my friend.

We are so busy sometimes caring for and about others that we forget to take a moment to care about ourselves. Take a deep breath, and get in touch with yourself and your band again. Take it back to the beginning. Feel the port under your skin and know that you have the tool you need to jump start your road to health.

Give your doctor's office a call and schedule a visit. Don't worry about being judged for having gained weight, don't worry about explaining yourself. If they ask you when you are in the office simply tell them you made it through a tragedy and you are now ready to start using this tool again to make your life better.

Wish you all the best, and reach out again as you need to.

By the way, I was banded in Feb of 2008, also. We have to stick together!! :-)

Good luck to you! You can do it for yourself and children. I say that as I continue to smoke lost all my weight but still trying to kill myself smoking!