Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've noticed that I'm losing more and more hair in the shower after surgery. My hair is getting thinner and I feel like i'm going to be bald before its all over. Anyone else lose hair? I'm 3 months post op. If you did lose hair when did it finally stop falling out or has it? Have you been taking anything for it that works? I just want my thick hair back :(

I was worried about this also because my hair is thin anyway. I take Biotin supplements and use Nioxin shampoo/conditioner. They have a website that explains what it is if you google it. I'm only 8 days post-op but started it right before my surgery. I got it through my hairdresser for $25 a kit which will last one month. I really like that they have it for color treated hair also. Plus it smells good!! You can also get it through Amazon for about the same price but don't go with Walgreen's bc it's about $45. Hope this helps :)

Unfortunately, hair loss after any surgery is very common. It's because of the chemicals used in the anesthesia. It usually regrows within 6 months but it does take time.

You can also experience Hair loss by not getting enough Protein and nutrients. I find getting enough Protein and taking 5000mcg of Biotin daily helps tremendously.

I had surgery about the same time as you and I've just recently been shedding A LOT more hair. I take Biotin, but I think this was inevitable.

My nutritionist said this was a red flag probably indicating you are not meeting some nutritional need. I would go to your nutritionist or nurse to discuss this and see what nutritional supplement is needed to help.

I too started losing at the three month mark. My nut put me on many different Vitamins every two hours during the day for three months. It stopped falling out and has all come back. It is different for everyone. Check with your nutritionist, mine gave me a printout of what to take. It was a really weird combination of many Vitamins.< /p>

I now take Biotin every day whether I need it or not!

Protein, you need more protein! Add a Protein Shake to your day it just might put you up there. You need your weight times .3 to get the daily protein required and I go the extra mile and try and go 5-10 grams over that. And don't forget you do need some fat in your diet. We tend to cut way back on fat, but there are healthy fats and it keeps your skin and hair healthier. Also lots of Omega 3's, fish and eggs are a good source, they are very good for your hair. My old nursing days coming back! LOL Good luck!

What dosage of Biotin is enough? I've been taking one 5,000 mcg pill a day. My hair is still falling out in clumps! Years ago a stylist told me I had enough hair for four heads and now I can see through my hair to the scalp. Help!

The 5,000 mcg of Biotin was what I was advised to take for hair loss post op.

I was advised that my Hair loss was likely due to the multiple surgeries I had over the course of the year that my band was placed (4 surgeries within 12 months). I do track my Protein intake, and remained within range the entire time.

My hair loss continued for around 3 months, and now continues to grow back. It is not to the same thickness as prior to surgery, but this thinning could also be a factor of age in my case.

Your hair will grow back...take your Biotin, and get enough protein!

Thanks for the advice. I have a thyroid issue and my hair thinning began before surgery but has gotten worse. I pray it will eventually grow back.

What dosage of Biotin is enough? I've been taking one 5,000 mcg pill a day. My hair is still falling out in clumps! Years ago a stylist told me I had enough hair for four heads and now I can see through my hair to the scalp. Help!

I truly feel your pain. My hair was/is also falling out and a couple of weeks ago, I too saw scalp and panicked. I went to the nutritionist and she said indeed, I was not getting enough Protein so I now take a packet of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder daily along with the Biotin and Iron as well. Things seem to have stabilized in that the hair is not coming out like it was...I'm not picking up clumps of it in the shower like I used to and I'm hoping the hair will start to grow back soon.

The nutritionist assured me I wouldn't look like a chemo patient...which of course is what I feared. I'm also scheduled for major surgery in October and I surely don't want to be dealing with Hair loss on top of everything else. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks so much for sharing what you've found out. Hope everything goes well in October!