Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have major regrets? I do

At three weeks, it's very premature to say that the band won't work for you. When I started eating solid food again, I gained almost five pounds. And yes, I was on about 500-800 calories a day. As soon as I stabilized and got used to the solid food, I have been losing slowly. I am now eating 1,500-1,600 calories per day and have been losing between 1-2 pounds every week. I just got another fill yesterday and am anticipating being satisfied on 1,000-1,200 which will put me squarely at 2 pounds lost every week (at least, that is my goal). Please give it a minimum of a few months after your first fill to judge if you should be regretful or not. Many people don't lose during the first six weeks.

Thank you everyone for your posts and opinions.

I agree I am not eating enough. I have no idea how to eat more and yet avoid carbs and fats and sugars. So I focus on Protein, make sure I get it, and stop.

I am meeting my doctor on the 18th, next Thursday, and I requested that we go at the restriction aggresively, as I am not interested in playing this out for months to get proper restriction. (all the posts about how hard it is to get the VG band filled to a 'sweet' spot has really got me worked up on top of it all)

Could I use some mental releif/help? Probably. I am a member of two support groups. Too bad they are RNY groups, and therefore are full of information about RNY and they all try to compare and advise accordingly.

One of the groups is my doctor's. The other is a lisc. therapist.

My expectations were very realistic. I want to loose 60 to 75 pounds. Not a hundred, not two hundred. I expected to have restriction and eat less, and smarter. I expected to exercise and watch the weight drop off at least 2 pounds a week.

I am eating less, I am eating smarter. I am drinking Water (which I NEVER did b4) I avoid sugar, and exercise.

I have a Protein Jello shot in the AM, drink Water, and eat a smart lunch. (tuna or chicken) and do the same for dinner.

So, again. I eat high protein, low sugar, low carb and low fat.

Now, how do you eat and avoid those things while loosing weight, eating

enough?

{EDIT} I have a food journal/diary - it is on my nutrionist site - http://www.bluecarott.com/ she has stated I do not appear to be eating enough and am in this starvation mode. She wants to meet with me again. She has this idea that dieting will solve all of this, and that the surgery was not nessecary. So I am leary and confused of her advise as she has not been through this, and does not have other gastric patients for clients. The other nutrionist I met with was an honest to goodness freak on heels. (she lost her watch in the middle of our meeting and stopped talking and started looking for it, then went on talking and then stopped again and stated she lost her watch, but wasn't sure if she wore it today or not.... that is ONE example in a one hour session, and there was MORE!!!)

-Melanie

Give it some time. And eat!

When I first got out from my band, I lost like 28 pounds in 4 weeks. When I started eatting solid foods again, I gained back 14 of those. But I knew that ANY WEIGHT LOSS BEFORE FILLS CAN BE CONSIDERED A BONUS.

Patience and time, sweetie! Don't be so hard on yourself. And yes, go get yourself your favorite flavor ice cream, or mix a Protein shake with some ice in a blender. You probably could greatly benefit from the Protein.< /p>

MelAnne, I'd also suggest staying away from those RNY support groups. They really have nothing to offer bandsters. There is no reason for you to be avoiding sugar or carbs at this point, and you shouldn't have to hear again and again that you can't eat them. You've seen that eating only Protein doesn't give you the calories you need, so don't worry about adding some yummy carbs and even a little sugar.

The goal is to be HEALTHY, not how to deal with losing 50 lbs in two months. And that's not what RNYers are talking about at their support groups.

I am four weeks out and I know what you are saying about the Water, I could float the titanic. I dont know why the Doc moved you to foods already but hey he's the doc we are not. I just wnt from liquids to musshie and this will be for two weeks. I have done everything you have but in my case, I lost 26lbs preop and now 26lbs post op. This is not the same for each person no matter what people say.

Just stick with it and it will happen, eat the right foods, stay away from the things the Doc tells you, my rule of thumb is the same as others in some cases, just because they can eat it does not mean I can. I started a journal and I talk to my tummy all the time. I tell it "tummy" I wont put anything in you that I am not supposed to, but your committment to me is DO YOUR JOB and shrink. Also I got into a support group and I have a hughe support group around me. You can not do this alone, you were not met to. Reach out you will be supprised who answers back.

Thank you everyone for your posts and opinions.

I am meeting my doctor on the 18th, next Thursday, and I requested that we go at the restriction aggresively, as I am not interested in playing this out for months to get proper restriction. (all the posts about how hard it is to get the VG band filled to a 'sweet' spot has really got me worked up on top of it all)

-snip-

My expectations were very realistic. I want to loose 60 to 75 pounds. Not a hundred, not two hundred. I expected to have restriction and eat less, and smarter. I expected to exercise and watch the weight drop off at least 2 pounds a week.

-Melanie

Melanie, people who are successful bandsters understand that they are in this thing for the long haul. There is nothing quick about being banded. We do not have worry about a "window of opportunity" to lose our weight like RNY-er's do. We can lose weight as long as there's weight to lose. You said you expected weight to drop off "at least 2 pounds a week." That is actually the MAXIMUM weight loss that most people experience. The more common experience is between 1 and 2 pounds per week. Many lose slower than that.... and that is okay. It can be frustrating, but it is normal and okay.

The way to approach adjusting the band is "steady as she goes." This is the method that produces the best long-term outcomes. People that get too tight, too quick are migrations, slippages and/or erosions waiting to happen. There is a very good reason that most surgeons are not "aggressive" with their fill procedures. First, there is no medical reason to hurry to get it right. If a person's comorbidities are SO severe that weight loss must be fast, then they should most likely opt for the RNY. Second, overly agressive fills are MUCH more dangerous than any weight one may not lose as the result of being under filled.

So, don't give up on the band at three weeks. This is a marathon, not a sprint. If you were under the impression that it was a sprint, then you got bad information and you need to adjust your expectations. Settle in the for the long haul. Accepting the marathon will bode well for your long-term outcomes. This is extremely important because short-term, short-sighted management of the band will most likely result in poor outcomes. And no one wants that.

I wish you all the best,

I am so sorry for what you're going through, MelAnne.

What you've heard here is absolutely true. I don't think it's bad to attend RnY Bypass support groups but in your case you think the band is failing you - probably because RnY bypass patients lose so much in their first weeks. LapBand patients simply do not lose a lot in the early weeks. Some patients don't lose at all. That isn't going to be your experience even if you do things right. Plus RnY bypass patients tend to be heavier than LapBanders, so they will almost automatically lose faster as they more to lose.

And as been pointed out - you are still in the healing phase. Let your body heal, adjust to the shock and move into the next portion of this journey. And that's what it is, a journey. There isn't a fast start or a race.

But this really caught my eye:

I expected to exercise and watch the weight drop off at least 2 pounds a week

Let me be absolutely blunt. I don't know your start weight or BMI - but if you're trying to lose 60 to75# you're probably somewhat of a lightweight in Weight Loss Surgery terms. No matter what, most LapBanders are NOT, I repeat NOT, going to lose 2# (pounds) a week. Maybe for a while, but not over the long haul. Forget what the brochures say - the average LapBanders does not lose 50-100# in a year - especially if they are 'lighter weight' to begin with. In other words, if you are hoping to lose 60 to 75# with your Band, don't be surprised if you don't lose it in your 30 to 40 weeks (at the 2# a week rate).

I know you probably understand this but I know that it's easy to get caught up in numbers, especially if you're around a lot of bypass patients. Just move at your own pace and everything will work itself out. Don't get too discouraged.

You've taken a great step to improve your health and looks. Give it time!

Happy Band (and Life) Journeys To All...

I second what everyone else has said. Stay away from the RNY groups. I wonder if that is where your real angst is coming from. Eat some carbs. Your nutritionist isn't helping with her thinking that dieting is the way to go. But do NOT, NOT NOT NOT get too tight too fast. There is a reason that Dr's go at restriction slowly.

What is your hurry, anyway? Slow down...you're in for a very bumpy ride if you don't get your expectations under control. 60-70 pounds is totally do able with the lap band. Just not in THREE weeks.

Megan

I am very sorry that you are wanting to give up so early in the game. That is what we are here for though. We won't allow you to quit this easily!!! Like you, I watched everything so closely at first in the game... I didn't lose weight because I wasn't getting in enough calories. Now... I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, but when I am eating properly and still not getting "enough" I have a yummy cup of ice cream. That is what I did, and believe it or not... I lost weight. I was able to endulge a little... because I was not getting in enough calories by what I was eating and how much I was exercising... I know it sounds crazy, but your poor body is healing and you need to get used to what your body is telling you.

I agree with Alexandra that the support groups that you are going to are no help for you at all. If you wanted RNY, that is the surgery that you would have had... For some reason you chose Lap Band and I hope that you knew it wasn't as quick of a process of RNY. PLEASE find a Lap Band support group so you can talk with others that are going thru exactly what you are.

I will pray that you find peace in your heart because you sound very troubled right now. We are all rooting for you and YOU CAN DO THIS!

I just wanted to second (and third) the opinion that you shouldn't rush your fills. Some people need very little fill to get restriction. It's my opinion that my band slipped because I was too tight. I only had 1cc in a 4cc band, which isn't a lot but it was too much for me. The people on here who sneak up to proper restriction seem to have fewer complications and better long term results.

We all want the weight to be off yesterday, but try to take it a day at a time and focus on how much better you'll be feeling a year from now.

MelAnne, chin up. Sometimes I feel like my two boys (8-9yrs old) who ask on every trip whether out of town or down the road, "Are we there yet?" I laugh at myself. At my age asking the same question. Hang in there with us. Things will change with some patience and perserverance.

Hi,

I have a diary up on obesityhelp.com under Barbara Baez. Please read it if you get a chance. I was totally afraid to eat my first month of banding and I was only getting in 400 calories a day the first three weeks. I upped it to 1000 and started to lose consistently. I even gained 3 lbs and started freaking out that I was not going to be successful with the band. This was 3 years ago. I lost 154 pounds and I have been maintaining most of my losses. So stop being so hard on yourself and eat!! You dont have any restriction yet and your band is wide open. Just try to make intelligent choices and keep the caloric intake under 1200 and you will do great!!!

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

-154 ish

6/23/03

I go through this same thing everytime I get a fill, so I stopped getting fills. It's too soon after surgery for your body to have worked it all out yet. The 1st 2 months was a mental battle, and just when I got better I got a fill. I probably could use another fill, but I'm not going to get one yet because I hate the expereince of feeling like you feel. I'm still losing at a pound a week so I'm fine with that. Your weight will fluctuate at 1st, especially when you are hardly eating - and there is a reason liquid diets don't work, you fluctuate weight --- the band liquid and much diet is for HEALING. You are HEALING. When you are done healing and you get a rythym things will be fine, I promise! I tracked on fitday.com for 4 months and that really helped. Don't worry so much about your Protein, calories, etc. Just forget that, log it on fitday, and eat what you think is sensible, and see what fitday tells you after a few days. You may find that eating sensibly without calculating everything everytime ends up being just what you needed. Hang in there, I promise it will get better. I lost weight the 1st 2 weeks, and didn't lose anymore for 6-7 whole weeks and I was devastated. But, my body worked it out and now I'm losing steady. You will too, you have to give it time. We're always here for you, and I promise more people than you and I went thru this and you'll be fine once you heal and adjust! HUGS!

Hi this is Maya. Manipulating your metabolism is the key to losing weight. Eating every 3 hrs. will keep your metabolism up. and you will lose faster.chicken and fish metabolize more quickly which will further help accelerate your slow metabolism. before and after your workout you should have a carb. When you workout your body will need the sugar from the carbs to provide you with enough energy to support you through the workout. You can have oatmeal, yam, brown rice, or a potato. these carbs are slow carbs unlike cake,and Cookies. they turn into sugar as soon as you eat they.

Melanne: The problem you are having could be based on the anestheia(?) leaving your system. I was VERY depressed for a month after surgery due to this. Take it easy on yourself! You have taken a HUGE step toward improving your health and life--but it isn't a quick one.

Also, if you do not take in enough calories YOU WILL NOT LOSE WEIGHT!! Thant's just the way the human body works. At this point, don't worry about losing. Drink the Water, eat the food you are supposed to, get up and move and the loss will come.

Psychologically, you have suffered a real loss--the loss of the very dear friend which food is to all of us who have fought the battle for so long! Grieve that loss and then let it go. My surgery way almost a year ago, and at times I still miss being able to go wild at the buffet! You are worth the work it takes to be successful on this path! I know you can do it. You just need to know it too.

My thoughts are with you, because I DO know how hard it is and can be. Let us, here on the board, help you when you need it. Please don'y hesitate to ask!

Terri