Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all lap band veterans!

I've had my band for a little over a year. Had my last fill about three months ago. Have had four total and doc does not tell me how much he puts in.

Anyway, Saturday night my family and I went out to eat, I got a sunrise margarita and a Burger sans bun. While I was drinking my margarita I noticed that it was giving me really bad heartburn, so much that I didn't even finish it. After that when I tried to eat some burger I just couldn't, food was just sitting in my pouch and not going anywhere. Tried maybe two bites stopped and took the rest home. When I got home much later I tried again to eat a little same thing, didn't force it just stopped and figured things would go better the next day. Both times food stayed down. Anyway about 2 am that night I woke up tasting stomach acid, ugh.

Ever since then food is just not happening, trying to take it easy with liquids and soft. But anytime I put anything into mouth I can feel it just sitting.

Wondering from the experienced Banders, did I irritate my band with that margarita and it tightened up as a result? What do you think?

Alcohol usually loosens the band initially (some may try and correct me...I know it doesn't physically loosen the band...it's just a common term for it which actually means it relaxes the stomach allowing more food through than normal) and then tightens you up the next day as your body dehydrates some. You may have slightly dilated your pouch. You could call your doc and ask to get some Fluid out and that might be the best course of action. If it was me, I'd take some liquid motrin to help bring the swelling down, go on liquids only for a few days, and hydrate hydrate hydrate.

Ok thanks! I knew to do liquids, never thought of Motrin, it is an anti-inflammatory... Makes sense.

Trying to avoid going to the doctor, I don't want him to take Fluid out! But looks like I'm going to have to. It is improving, but I am concerned because two days later liquids feel funny going down. I've never had problems like this! Nothing outside of pbing. So going two days having this much trouble, eek!

I can no longer tolerate alcohol. Not a bad thing, I wasn't much a drinker to begin with but I realize it's not for me anymore - period. I hope you feel better soon.

Heather - check with your doctor before taking liquid Motrin. Many doctors (including mine) are completely against taking any type of NSAID after surgery. Not just after surgery, but never again. Others may say something different, but the general consensus is.......no NSAIDS.

If you are still having problems, call your doctor. No one can really say how everyone reacts to drinking after being banded. I drank a couple of times, without issue. Many on here talk about drinking; also without issue. I would err on the safe side and run this by your doc. Especially, if things don't return to normal within the next day or so.

Feel better.......

Well, I have absolutely no problem drinking a dirty gin martini, in fact, I had one today. That being said however, I only drink occasionally and it's in a social setting usually. A Margarita however has ALWAYS given me heartburn. I try to avoid them like the plague. It's too bad because I really do like margaritas. They just don't like me.

As far as liquid Motrin is concerned ask your doctor first. I know Guy has no problem with it but my doctor said absolutely no NSAIDS! I used to use aspirin for my arthritis but don't anymorej.

Aspirin always helped me but it's been rough since I'm off aspirin. I'm hoping as I lose more weight that I'll have less pain on my joints.

Hope you feel better.

Thanks guys! Everything seems to be going better today. liquids are starting to pass like normal, without it feeling funny so that's a good sign. Try something Mushie tonight and if that goes well maybe fish tomorrow ?

I wonder if the ingredients in that margarita were different from what I usually would have. But something about it seemed to haw triggered a whole episode. Stomach acid waking you up is the most awful feeling ever!