Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I travel 90% for my job and eat out a lot, including entertaining clients.

Is it difficult to eat out after being banded? And suggestions on what and how to eat?

It is at first until you get more comfortable with your band. I tend to eat a lot of appetizers because meals are just so large. I've also learned to go ahead and order a Water and just let it sit there as opposed to going through the whole, I don't drink with meals ordeal. I don't drink it...but letting it just sit there assures others that I am okay. Lol. I also do a lot of take home boxes because most meals are big enough for two people. Early on I would order stuff that I knew I could eat fine in front of others likes Soups. I rarely if eve order anything with a bun or in sandwich form and I never get pizza. If I do get stuck with pizza then I either just scrape the toppings off and eat them and explain that I'm doing an Atkins like diet or if it's someone I know I just tell them it's easier for me to eat like that with the lapband.

I have found planning ahead works best. I am a little OCD so I made a "to-go" food Chart. I looked at the the nutrition for everything on the menu for like 10 different resturants. If it is was 300 cal or less I added it. (or for a larger meal 600 and split it in half to take home). It has helped alot with keeping my calories within a certain limit. And by looking ahead you can know what is offered before hand instead of second guessing.

I agree with both posts.

I also look on my cellphone to lookup restaurant nutrition menus to select a guilt free meal prior to going in the restaurant Not sure if Canada has this available for CAN chains..but if it's American it can be found.

Find a handful of restaurant you are ensured a healthy meal and try to limit your ventures to those restaurants. Do not sacrifice your wl goals and success for work-period

As for meals, I like Guy's clever Water tip. Other ideas- eat off the appetizer menu. You can say your not hungry, or you just ate and want something small.

One of the reasons I go small (apps) is because when I get a regular meal I get harrassed by the waitress when I dont eat it all. They insist something must be wrong. And you get to the point you want to yell "Good god woman I just cant eat a whole planets worth of food!" lol It's annoying and brings alot of negative attention your way (embarrassing in front of clients).

Other ideas are Soups, salad if you can manage them, moist food like fish, or be modern and eat at restaurants that serve only dime size portions anyway ahhahahah

I also travel a lot for work and have to eat out a fair amount. I am recently banded (two months ago) and have discovered just how little people notice what I'm eating. I order foods that are smart, fish not fried with sauces on the side or other lean meats and ask for extra vegetables instead of rice or potatoes. So many places have healthy menu choices it really surprises me. Even at Micky D's you can get a grilled chicken wrap.

It's really surprising how little people care what I'm eating or if I ask to take the rest to go. People figure I am just eating healthy so I don't feel the need to make any excuses.

I travel 90% for my job and eat out a lot, including entertaining clients.

Is it difficult to eat out after being banded? And suggestions on what and how to eat?

I live in New York City so eating out is the norm here. Stick with easy foods....fish is a great go to meal and it's surprising how delicious the fish can be now that I order that instead of the hi carb/hi fat meals. Pay attention also to the sauces, dressings, etc. There's alot of calories in that stuff so ask for as much on the side as possible so you can control the amount. You can be very successful with the band while eating out...I'm proof of that....6 1/2 months banded and down 78 lbs. Good luck!

It is at first until you get more comfortable with your band. I tend to eat a lot of appetizers because meals are just so large. I've also learned to go ahead and order a Water and just let it sit there as opposed to going through the whole' date=' I don't drink with meals ordeal. I don't drink it...but letting it just sit there assures others that I am okay. Lol. I also do a lot of take home boxes because most meals are big enough for two people. Early on I would order stuff that I knew I could eat fine in front of others likes Soups. I rarely if eve order anything with a bun or in sandwich form and I never get pizza. If I do get stuck with pizza then I either just scrape the toppings off and eat them and explain that I'm doing an Atkins like diet or if it's someone I know I just tell them it's easier for me to eat like that with the lapband.[/quote']

That's great advice. I currently drink tons while I eat cause I've been a choker in the past. I was worried after I was banded I'd have trouble drinking and eating at the same time. This will be a big change for me.

One thing I have been told by my clinic is to not drink right before during or for 1/2 hour after eating so that your new "pouch" gets used to the feeling of food and so the liquid doesn't either sit on top or make the food flow through the opening faster than it should.

I live in New York City so eating out is the norm here. Stick with easy foods....fish is a great go to meal and it's surprising how delicious the fish can be now that I order that instead of the hi carb/hi fat meals. Pay attention also to the sauces' date=' dressings, etc. There's alot of calories in that stuff so ask for as much on the side as possible so you can control the amount. You can be very successful with the band while eating out...I'm proof of that....6 1/2 months banded and down 78 lbs. Good luck![/quote']

Wow that's awesome, you are an inspiration. I'm in sales and have always been self conscious about my weight. Also fitting in airplane seats are starting to get tough. I look forward to the major life change but hope I can have all your support during this change

I agree with both posts.

I also look on my cellphone to lookup restaurant nutrition menus to select a guilt free meal prior to going in the restaurant Not sure if Canada has this available for CAN chains..but if it's American it can be found.

Find a handful of restaurant you are ensured a healthy meal and try to limit your ventures to those restaurants. Do not sacrifice your wl goals and success for work-period

As for meals, I like Guy's clever Water tip. Other ideas- eat off the appetizer menu. You can say your not hungry, or you just ate and want something small.

One of the reasons I go small (apps) is because when I get a regular meal I get harrassed by the waitress when I dont eat it all. They insist something must be wrong. And you get to the point you want to yell "Good god woman I just cant eat a whole planets worth of food!" lol It's annoying and brings alot of negative attention your way (embarrassing in front of clients).

Other ideas are Soups, salad if you can manage them, moist food like fish, or be modern and eat at restaurants that serve only dime size portions anyway ahhahahah

You get used to the confused look on waiter/waitresses' faces after the 1000th time you eat less than half your meal yet still ask for a box to take it with you. They assume you didn't like it and yet you want to take it with you? Confusion!!!

My Fitness Pal ..app --- it is GRAND! In my phone and goes everywhere with me.

(Banded 6.21.13-first fill next Monday) I have found it very easy to order and eat GRILLED or BLACKENED FISH or chicken, sweet potatoes; generally split the meal or take 1/2 back with you. Also, I haev recently started ordering A GRILLED chicken BREAST ONLY from Wendy's - funny how the cost depends on which one I got to and who is working that day. prices have ranged from $.99 - $4.89 for ONE breast. LOL!!!!!!

On occassion I aheva baked potato but make sure I count the calories for butter and sour cream. ;) GOOD LUCK!! B)

I travel 90% for my job and eat out a lot' date=' including entertaining clients.

[/quote']

Edmontongirl, same situation here (in fact, I'm typing this at the Calgary airport on my way back to California...)

I usually do fish, because appetizers often are fried (and how often in a week can you eat ahi tuna, which is the usual exception?). Half of the meal ends up in a box...if I'm having a "lose" day, right after it arrives, but normally at the end. I never eat the leftovers and for a while felt guilty about that...but I'd rather the food go to waste than to my waist. I always ask for a fridge (it's part of my Marriott/Hilton profile) and I leave them there...perhaps someone from housekeeping can enjoy them?

For example: The last two days, I ate at Earl's and Cactus Club cafe respectively, so I left behind at the Garden Inn about 3.5 oz of sirloin (medium rare), one crispy mashed potatoes, half of a spinach salad and half a salmon filet :-)

Next week: New Mexico and Texas...those are a little trickier...

I eat whatever I want (and the band will allow)...just a whole lot less than what I used to...a WHOLE lot less.....and knowing the band will prevent me from eating too much, I have to be careful not to blow it on appetizers and salad alone...otherwise that just became my meal..which I have done on purpose on occasion.

(I haven't counted calories or referred to nutrition labels in over 2 years...I've been on so many diets it becomes common sense...)

Edmontongirl' date=' same situation here (in fact, I'm typing this at the Calgary airport on my way back to California...)

I usually do fish, because appetizers often are fried (and how often in a week can you eat ahi tuna, which is the usual exception?). Half of the meal ends up in a box...if I'm having a "lose" day, right after it arrives, but normally at the end. I never eat the leftovers and for a while felt guilty about that...but I'd rather the food go to waste than to my waist. I always ask for a fridge (it's part of my Marriott/Hilton profile) and I leave them there...perhaps someone from housekeeping can enjoy them?

For example: The last two days, I ate at Earl's and Cactus Club cafe respectively, so I left behind at the Garden Inn about 3.5 oz of sirloin (medium rare), one crispy mashed potatoes, half of a spinach salad and half a salmon filet :-)

Next week: New Mexico and Texas...those are a little trickier...[/quote']

Yeah I'm the same I hate wasting food but I'd rather waste then let it go to my waist lol. I have stopped and given my leftovers to homeless before as well.

Question for you: how soon after you were banded were you back traveling fully? What do you do for a living? I'm a sales manager for a bunch of cabinet manufactures.

I guess my biggest concern is currently (4 weeks pre-op) I'm not a over eater normally. I've also been a person that only finishes half my meal but then I go home and snack all night. Will I have less cravings and lose the urge to snack all evening?

I'm worried the band won't work for me, I know it's mostly my own fault and I need to change my habits.