Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

unsupportive friends/family?

Anyone have any feedback on how to deal with friends and/or family that is unsupportive? I've been told that I should be able to lose the weight like a normal person if I tried hard enough, that I'm taking the easy way out, among others. I've stopped sharing with anyone that I'm having surgery except for this site and a couple friends that have had a bariatric procedure.

First of all this is not ez!

You are a normal person, just one that has a weight problem!

As for friends/family they may be afraid for you or for themselves.

What I mean by that is the operation (afraid for you), and then you have a good chance of being a different person (afraid for themselves) !

My wife was not initially in favor of me doing this. She said to diet and it will be OK, well why would it work now when it did not work for years!

What had a big impact was when I told her at my Psych review that the Doc said it was a shame that I had no support from anyone! She felt that. I also told her that I want to live longer for myself an FOR HER! I told her that she knows that my health problems will be made worse. Now down about 18 lbs. and being able to still go out to dinner together(I have to make good choices). She is happy for my surgery!

Trust me, you cannot worry too much about it. Either you have their support or you don't. You have to do what's best for YOU and what helps you get healthy. I have found most of my support right here on this forum and couldn't be happier. Your TRUE friends should support you regardless of their own personal beliefs, but I know that doesn't always happen. Surround yourself with positive people and do your thing! Best wishes to you! :)

First of all congratulations on your decision to take the big step to get healthy. As for the naysayers... Say to them "I have made my decision and am not asking for your approval but rather your support. Either you will support me or you won't, the choice is yours but I am hoping you will." "Normal" weight people really have no concept of the disease of obesity and really believe it's as easy as eating less and exercising more. And the reality is eating less and exercising more is the answer but it's not at all easy! Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback! I have found that being on this site is very helpful.

sometimes non support is fear. for those who are important to you, have them come to a doctor's appointment with you or if that isn't feasable, have them go to a seminar so they understand the process better. you might find more support after they have more understanding of how it works. congrats on starting this journey to a healthier you.

First of all, don't second guess your decision to get a healthier you. It isn't the easy way out by no means. The band is simply a tool, you do the work. The fact that you recognized within yourself you couldn't do it on diet and exercise alone (me too) is the key to your decision. I would surround yourself with people that are supportive and have no room in your life for non supporters. There will be people that try to sabotage you along the way. I don't know if that's ignorance or jealousy! Your doing it for all the right reasons -to get healthier.

Yes I agree with all statements.. The one thing that I told friends and family that seemed to keep the natives quiet was that I was doing this for my health.. which is entirely true.. but if I would have been successful at dieting I wouldn't be obese.. I tried for years but would be successful at first but would quickly get off track and re-gain.. that got depressing.. The band allows me to be controlled.. I don't have the desire for food I once had.. I have lost almost 50 lbs and feel like a new person.. so you go for it and hopefully everyone will come around..

Firstly, be good to yourself! You're doing this for you and no one else! Be selfish because tou're worth it! You're the priority here and trust me, this is not the easy way out! I struggle everyday to stay within my calories. Don't your unsupporting family and friends know that you have to watch what you eat? This is is major surgery and here's to a healthier you! You have the support of this forum! Good luck!