Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are my May buddies doing?

I just wanted to check in with my fellow May band buddies. It has been 2 months today for me. How are you guys doing? Any issues? Are things going how you expected? How in LOVE are you with your band?

I am doing great. Some days it seems slower than others. I lost 10 lbs this last month. It wasn't as much as the first month so I got a little aggravated. Then I realized 10 lbs is great! 10 lbs a month would be amazing if it continued that way. By December that would be 50 more lbs!!! I know the more you lose the slower it starts coming off. I am all up for the challenge because I know it is not going to just bounce back on like all the other diets.

Health wise I have stopped both my diabetic meds. I sugar is staying in the normal range. I still check it occasionally just to make sure. Also with the diet and exercise I have been able to stop my blood pressure meds. My immune system has improved tremendously. I have not been sick since January. This is a big deal for me. I swear my doctor and I were becoming best friends I was there so often.

I hope you guys are having as much success as I am. The energy and feeling good just make me more of a positive person. I am happy and excited to be in the world of the living again.

Best wishes to you all,

Mandi

I.m not a May buddy. I was a Dec 2012 bander but congratulations on your weight loss thus far! That's amazing and an even better accomplishment is that you're off your diabetic meds! Amazing! Keep up the good work! Even though I'm not a May buddy keep us all posted! I've lost a little over 50 lbs since 12/28. It's slow but it's coming off and I'm also off my diabetic meds!

Mandi, what kind of nutritional plan are you following?

I had mine done on 05/30/13, and I've lost a total of 18 lbs so far. I exercise a minimum of 3-4 times a week, and I wish I were losing the weight a little bit faster. I lost about 13 lbs the first month, and about 5 the following. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I had my band on May 10. I had plication with band. I lost quite a bit preop diet and some post op diet. I've really slowed down and at my last md appt had only lost 3.4 lbs. I was pretty disappointed especially since my surgeon wont fill me. I haven't had a fill yet. On the upside I've lost 35 lbs total and it doesn't look like it wants to come back. My surgeon says after you get so far down, its better to lose it pretty slow. He recommends 3 to 5 lbs a month for me and though I don't like it, time is all I have anyway. So what it it takes a year to lost 40 lbs or so. At least it'll be gone and if I werent doing this, I'd probably be gaining. I'm trying to take a different attitude than I've had with the 100's of diets I've tried and thinking this time I might be on the right track. Good luck to you guys and lets keep track of each other and see how it goes.

Congrats to you all!!! It sounds like we are all moving in the right direction. I was told not to lose too fast also. It is disappointing sometimes, but I am trying to follow the doctors instructions. After all, if my way was working I wouldn't be this big.

I have a lap band consultant at my doctors office. When his patients visit him they also visit her. She helps with the lifestyle changes that go along with the lap band. She gives us tips on eating and cooking. She recommends no more than 1200 calories, 60 carbs, and 60 grams of Protein or more. The more Protein you eat the better.

With every meal I try for 20+ protein and as little carbs as I can. I do not eat anything unless their is protein included. If I eat a sugar free pudding I eat a piece of cheese also. I eat a lot of plain Greek yogurt. (I add Protein powder or vanilla splenda flavors to it) I eat a lot of fat free cottage cheese with no sugar added peaches that come in a snack size cup. Being on the go all the time is the hard part of dieting and eating right. I found the Atkins frozen meals that are delicious and low carb high in protein. After a long day and not wanting to cook pop one of those in the microwave. Easy breezy!! I also take one to work now and then for lunch when I forget to make my lunch the night before. I might eat out once a week. Usually when my husband comes home on the weekend and we go out to dinner. I used to eat out for lunch with the girls at the office and a lot of times at night on my way home I would grab something to take home. This is the biggest change that is helping me lose.

I want us to give each other new ideas and tips. I by no means claim my ways are right or the best, and I am open for more suggestions. After all we will be doing this for a long time and you get burned out on the same things very fast.

Keep up the great work ladies!!!