Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long does food/liquid stay in the pouch?

I read on here that liquids go right thru... Is that accurate? And how long does food hang in there? I'm guessing 30 min giving drinking restrictions during meals but realized I don't actually know.

Actually, current studies show that food passes through the band in less than a minute. It doesn't hang around above it in the pouch at all.

This is also why many surgeons are changing their rules about drinking with meals.

In a properly adjusted band, food should stick around for about one minute before it passes the stoma. Your pouch can only hold about 2 ozs of anything so you can't get much in there.

So is the 'satisfied' feeling from eating slowly so a small amount of food takes a longer time passing the vagus nerve signaling a full feeling?

Partially right. The consistent pressure against the vagus nerve and the stomach moving the food through the stoma gives the signal you're satisfied. I rarely ever feel full. I just feel like I don't want to eat anymore.

liquid passing through mine...last week.

Thanks. I feel like we know each other now ;)

All depends upon the band adjustment....I was not told to drink for at least 1/2 hr after eating because food can still be there....and I found that to be accurate from experience, not what I have heard....

I have, once or twice, drank large gulps of Water 30-45 minutes after eating, only to spit it up with remnants of food there....so I know in my case food does take a while to go through...I guess thats why I have good Portion Control and the band tells me when to stop....otherwise I could go right on eating I suppose. But I can't...the band will not let me overeat....(I've tried) so I never measure or worry about portion sizes...

Also, liquids do not go right through.....depending upon how fast and how much you drink.....I have spit up straight Water at times, along with pain probably from stretching the pouch, because i took some fast gulps.....

I'm sitting here first thing this morning drinking my coffee, and it is going through very slowly....small sips or else...I'm always the tightest in the morning....

The band is like a funnel...if you pour water in it slow and steady it will go through slow and steady, providing there is no food there....but pour it fast and it will over flow.....

That's why when drinking carbonated drinks, you have to know what you're doing, IMO....

Yesterday afternoon, the office people had a small cookout at work....I had 3 beers with no problems....did not eat a thing either....

not sure about food but my dr told me liquid goes right through...(enjoyed reading the funnel explanation, a great visual for anyone)

I should also add, that where some people need to eat to feel satisfied, for me..I am ALWAYS satisfied...I guess the mere presence of the band, properly adjusted, must be stimulating the nerves in the vagus system all day, every day for over 2 years now.....

I could go days without eating and never be hungry, not that I would want to....but I usually have to remind myself I need to eat something.

I also know, if I were to get the slightest un-fill, I would probably experience hunger again....

Like the Green Zone says "Not Hungry".....period.

Here's a very good article that explains how the food passes through the band and why it should take about a minute.

"When food is eaten our oesophagus, or food pipe, squeezes bites of food down towards the band. Once food reaches the band, contractions of the oesophagus, called peristalsis, will squeeze well-chewed food past the band. In a person with a well-adjusted band, it can take between two to six squeezes of the oesophagus to get a bite of food across the band. One study suggests this process takes at least a minute."

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/171713-how-does-a-gastric-band-really-work/page__hl__pass+through+band

Thanks, Mis. Great article. So would pouch dilation then be a result of someone eating too much, too fast on a regular basis?

Thanks, Mis. Great article. So would pouch dilation then be a result of someone eating too much, too fast on a regular basis?

Yes. Or, if there band is too tight it could lead to pouch dilation too.

If the band is too tight then food can get hung up and sit above the band longer it's supposed to. Because of this, it can stretch the pouch as more food piles in. It can also lead to band erosion.