Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How the heck is a person going to tell me that I am being very unrealistic about my weight loss goals and timeframes I set for myself? Telling me not to be surprised when it doesn't happen the way I want it to.

I said I will be my goal weight come August. That's 18.5lbs per month at this point. Not too bad... not outlandish either. It's attainable.

I know there will be fast and slow times. I expect that but I do not, I repeat, I do not like people putting stop signs in front of me.

If I can do it and it's possible then damnit I'm doing it. I don't need a Gastric Bypass patient telling me that it's not going to happen for me and it's just unrealistic.

Thanks for listening. Just had to vent for a hot NY second.

Whoever told you that you couldn't, may prove to be just the impetus you need TO do it!!! I think the only thing that kept me from starting back up when I quit smoking, was my ex husband saying I would never be able to do it!! I did it just to spite him and show him I could. So....work as hard as you can, and prove them wrong!!

Also makes me wonder if the person saying it doesn't want you to do it for some selfish reason.....

And remember there are a lot more of us supporting you here, than there are trying to tear you down!!

Kat

NOTHING is impossible. I'm certain that a person with as much determination as you have, Telly, will be able to accomplish such a goal. I have to confess that I am a little concerned by the rate of speed with which you'll lose. A healthy loss, that is more apt to remain permanent, is between 2 and 3 pounds a week. While your goal is certainly achievable, please think of your health and how you will look when you reach that goal. Rapid weight loss can be hard on your vital organs and can leave you looking tired and malnourished. Please don't take this as discouragement. Please take it as a friend who wants to see you enjoy full success, not just fast success. *big hugs*

:), never thought about that Photo... hmmmmmmmmmm

something to ponder.. organ issues.. I don't want. I could use friends right now. Thank you for replying

Thank you and Kat, thank you for your words of encouragement. Made me feel good.

I don't want to put up any road blocks for you either. You're obviously in the mood to kick some serious butt and lose the weight, and I say go for it! But, my concern for you is this... reading about your goal reminds me of my mindset when I would yo-yo diet pre-band. I would set up (for me) unrealistic goals, and when I didn't achieve a steady 15 lb weight loss every month it would send me into a tailspin of eating and depression. I just think it would be a shame if you get disappointed by a 10 lb or even 5 lb loss each month. With your positive attitude, I know that you're going to reach your goal. But remember, slow and steady wins the race. Good luck, and keep us posted!

I feel a bit that way too. I was ready to eat my surgeon if he so much as said to me, dont expect to lose more than 2/3 of your excess weight. Based on what I'd read here I expected it and I felt that I had every right to expect to get to my goal and to expect his support to get there as long as it was reasonable.

He never did, so I was prepared for a fight I never got, but it still might be coming. I want to be in the vicinity of 70kg and I dont want to settle for 80kg, 84kg, whatever. That's a healthier weight than 114 but its not a healthy weight for me. I remember being 70kg and I bloody well liked it and its where I'm headed again.

I'd take it far less well from another patient, I'd suspect them bitter and twisted because they'd not managed to achieve their true goals.

I feel I can do it and keep it off. I will be tempted here and there with my husband as he eats horribly, cheeseburgers, curly fries, etc. I turn away from those things, even before surgery. I know what I need to do and I'm living it now. Just practicing what I preach. I believe working out daily is normal for alot of people .. athletes I think :) I know that if I burn more calories than I take in, I'll continue to lose. I have been doing this since day 1 of my return home from Monterrey. I have stopped and taken only 1 day of a break b/c my legs were sore.

Yes 18lbs per month 4.6lbs per week sounds kinda nuts to some people but I hear of Gastric Bypass patients losing a whole heck of alot of weight .. very rapidly (which was the purpose of the type of procedure) and some with organ issues, and some not, but that's expected. I, however am working out daily, twice per day, in the morning and evening. I'm burning double what I take in. I stay hydrated. I do not drink sodas or high carb meals. I am taking in crazy Vitamins from the shakes I drink. I keep the Protein coming with full force. I sweat like a sauna room.

If I hurt myself, then I'll learn from that but I won't stop what I am doing. I will continue to work out hard, drinking shakes and having very sensible meals. Taking breaks when my body screams at me. I'm in this to win this. Those "Biggest Loser" contestants were in the gym and working out 6 or more hours per day.. as seen on the show. Losing 30 - 45lbs each month. Crazy weight loss! If the doc tells me to take it easy then maybe I will but until then... I'm going for broke.

Thank you all for your input. I read everything in the threads I post. I take in everything.

I will, however research on the subject about organ issues b/c that is scary to me and I want to equip myself with knowledge, and prevent damage (thank you again PNut :mad: LOL, damage control :D

I just don't want to stop unless I really have to. I am also the type that if I order furniture and the delivery people tell me "it will be 2 weeks for delivery unless you want to take home the set in the warehouse now.." I am the type to say... "honey, let's get a uhaul and take it home". I hate waiting.

:)

Ty again all :)

I wanted to know how much was realistic for me to lose and i figured at my current base calories burn if i take in 1000 calories a day i will lose 5lbs per week. 1000 per day is not unreasonable especially with the band. I am with you Teli, as soon as I have restriction and am moving from 1500 and hating it to 800-1000 and loving it. As i lose and my basal burn lowers I will up the exercise. As soon as my back and joints can handle it I want to start running again. I would love to lose 5 a week on average. I am not sure my body will cooperate but I am sure gonna try. I am young enough that, my skin should handle it just fine, and nothing could be harder on my organs than being fat. So Teli, I have two weeks to my fill, then I will be joining you on that goal. I already met it this month and the hard way, with no restriction!

TellyMelly-

I am a goal setter....I actually have only set though for the first 6 wks then the 2nd six weeks....then the end of the year. My first 6 wks I wanted to lose 30lbs...I have lost 38lbs....my 2nd 6 wks I want to lose 20lbs more.....I haven't even finished my first week of that and I am down 5lbs as I got my first fill. :) I believe goals are important....my husband asks me if I will be "upset" if I don't accomplish my goal....yes...but I will keep going!!! Marathon attitudes win....not sprints!!! You are doing great!! Keep looking at the prize!!! Completion!!! Now I after I finish this 2nd week then I'll set another goal for 2mos maybe?! I haven't decided....I broke it down 6 wks because of fill schedules....so we'll see!! I just know that I WILL succeed THIS time!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -43lbs :D

TellyMelly- YOU GO GIRL!!! I'm the exact way with the Uhaul thing too. Set the bar high and work hard at it. Just don't be too hard on yourself if you don't quite reach 18.5 lb or slow your weight loss as you get closer to goal. But keep it up! If you can't dream it, you can't be it.

How many pounds do you want to lose by August?? That's when I'm setting one of my mini-goals. I want to lose 37 lb to be at 198 (100 lb loss) by August as well. I'll kick your butt if you kick mine!!

Congrats on setting your mind to something and having the willpower to resist DH's fries! I know it's hard!

:P Kristin

Go Telly Go!!!!!!

There is nothing wrong with motivated GOALS! Just as Photonut said, don't set yourself up.

We support you..... encourage you...... cheer you!!!!!

I think the best advice is just to ignore others, practice healthy eating and exercise with adequate hydration (sounds like you're doing that) and listen to YOUR body. Who cares if one month you don't lose the specified weight you wanted to? What's important is that you gave it your all and you can't ask anymore than that. As far as the person who said you "can't achieve your goals", why waste ANY energy on them?

Hell to the yeah yall! I'm doin this. (Will call doc about damage control issues. I'd be stupid to not look into this).

I love every single concern and voice. That person I spoke to last night was in www.obesityhelp.com chat room. I go there once in awhile b/c they have a very LIVE and crazy chat room that is mostly ran by RNY patients.

Let me tell you that I feel they are just downright viscious. They make banded people feel (in my opinion and in a few other's opinion) less than what they are, saying constantly that banded was not fast enough for them and it's a slow losers club..etc. I just get urked about it, nonetheless, take it up the watooosie when I prove that i'm losing faster than some of the RNY patients though I'm still newly banded (:D I let them all know that anything is possible with proper eating and exercise, yadda yadda yadda :D (emileekaye)

I don't want to bash that chat room b/c I do learn things from some of them, but to be honest, they are really uppidy and snooty about their weight loss. They all brag soo much about losing their weight sooo fast and some even talk about how they were banded but it just didn't work for them, how they gained all their weight back. Alot of them complained last night about "DUMPING SYNDROME" where some of them cheat alot and have cheesecake and sweets, (donut holes as one of they stated) and just got shivers, sweat.. diahrrea.. etc. I wonder why the band didn't work for them.. hmmmmm. After complaining about "Dumping", 2 of them then complained about the band and how they personally felt it was a waste of their money. :purplebananna: I was upset because there were 2 girls there that were about to be banded, one in particular today. She was there asking about laxative intake for today's surgery. She was discouraged. She got worried and scared. I freakin hated what they were doing and saying. (sighs)

Of course Melly Mel put in her 2 cents :xena_banana:

I said a few things that of course got some of them ticked off :bananajump: I don't mean to upset people but I speak my mind.

It ended up with me stating.... "My band is NOTHING without me. I don't expect my band to do all the work. It's up to me to make healthy life choices regarding my weight. I'm not a lazy loser :)" I even stood up for us bandsters by also stating that... "What's really great about being banded is.. you do lose a bit slower than an RNY patient and it gives your skin time to catch up with your body." Well that was all she wrote at that point. :P

Fire in the eyes :angry.

I know, I know but I couldn't just walk out of there and not say anything.... :heh:

I'm with you Telly...if you feel you can do it, GO FOR IT!

Telly, you rock the casbah!! Don't let ANYONE tell you what you can or cannot do!! If you want to set goals for yourself and someone else doesn't think they're realistic, too freakin' bad!! They're not their goals, they're YOUR goals! I say go for it and leave those people in the dust, girlfriend.

I too can't stand it when RNY patients talk badly about the band. So what if they lose faster than most banded patients? We're all still losing weight aren't we? Who cares if it's faster or slower AS LONG AS IT'S COMING OFF.

I agree with you about eating healthy and exercising. As long as you're smart about your weight loss goals, I see nothing wrong with them.

Rock on, sister!! :P :peace: :high5: