Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I am 8 days post op and I just had a moment where I thought I was going to cry my eyes out. My parents just invited me over for a meal and I figured their might be something I could eat so as I wonder in the house I instantly see hamburgers, hotdogs, fried potatoes, homemade cheese cake, and several other homemade goodies. Keep in mind that my parents have no idea about what and bandster can eat after surgery so please don't pass judgement on them. I look at my Mom and tell her I can't have any of it and not only does it break my heart, it breaks her heart too. Firstly let me say this, I am one of them Good O Country Boys who loves home cookin. And my Mom is literally the best cook ever and she enjoys seeing her Family enjoy her food so I feel bad for her as well. So I sat on the deck with the rest of my Family as they ate and I finally had to just get up n leave cause it was too much for me. And as much as I hate to say it I'd say as soon as I got out of eat shot my Mom started crying. I feel so bad for not being able to eat it. Don't get me wrong they all understand why I didn't, but they also know how much I enjoy my Moms cooking. But I have a little bit of happiness from the fact that I didn't give in and try any of it. Oh well.

How heartbreaking! I am sorry to hear, hopefully this isn't too much of a future issue after you get back to eating solids. Bless her heart!

That sucks man. The good news is you'll be able to eat most of that once you are done healing. A lot of times I don't want to go into the whole, 'I had lap band surgery' talk, so I just say I eat low carb and grab a hot dog without the bun or a hamburger without the bun, some mashed potatoes, etc. I definitely had some periods where I was literally mourning the fact that I couldn't eat certain foods anymore but that passes and the weight loss is totally worth it.

Thanks Duchess, I actually felt worse for my Mom than I did myself. Even now when I think about it it breaks my heart. She just likes to see her Son happy so I know she will be even happier when I am happier. Thanks again.

GuyMontag, I look forward to that day, just way less of a portion.

hang in there. before you know it, you'll be able to sample mom's home cooking again and she won't even know why she was crying when she sees how much healthier you'll be. you're only 8 days out and it will take a while before you are eating regular food...but believe me...you will be.

I had a similar feeling to yours...it was just a different scenario. for me, it's eating out with friends and family and how would that change or would I have to stop doing that...which saddened me beyond measure. Well...six months out, it hasn't changed at all. I go to any restaurant someone picks and there is always something better to choose from on the menu and this part of my life hasn't changed at all. It will be the same for you.

Yep... your day will come and your Mom will be so proud!

I am a mama from the South.. I am considered a good cook by my kids.. but, I have had to change my way of cooking to accommodate my health issues.. I know your mama would love to have you around for many years... She would be hurt way more if you lost your health ..You need to remember who you are doing this for... You will be able to eat some of mama's good food soon, just not near as much as before.. She will be so proud of you when you are down to a healthy weight... I have cooked lots of sunday dinners since being banded.. I eat what I am supposed to and believe it or not my kids are eating healthier because they see how I am doing...Take care and keep your eye on the prize...

I am post op day 5 only , and I hear you on the family eating...next week big 4th of july , I don't know if I will be up to it physically never mind emotionally....I miss salad , fruit anything that is healthy, I'm starting to get less swelling but still very sore when i swallow my Protein shake.....cant imagine trying anything yet , I don';t want to get stuck...plus my hernia repair needed to be done so two procedures seems alot to recover from same time...just sayin good luck my friend

Ah, meat and potatoes. I'm a country girl (from Kentucky) and I TOTALLY understand how you feel. I was banded in 2008... About a week before Thanksgiving! There will be times when you feel like crying, but I promise once you start seeing a difference and you start feeling better you'll realize it's totally worth all the emotional baggage these bands come with. Also, my family started eating healthier at get togethers once they learned what I can/ can't eat because they would always have options available for me. Also, once you can eat solids again you'll still be able to enjoy your mama's cookin- may just need to alter what you eat. Like instead of a big ol burger in on a bun with all the toppings, I'll eat half a burger (or less depending on your band) without the bun. It's all about small portions. But don't get down- the first couple months is a learning period and you have to figure your own body out. By the way, my first emotional breakdown was bc I got sick after eating a cheese omelette ;)

I'm feeling the same way tonight bigoboy. I am sad that I can't yet have the pizza and salad that everyone else is eating tonight. so sad. I'm only 2 days out (June 26th) and I am so sick of shakes and anything at all sweet. I just want some pizza. ugh.

Ok' date=' I am 8 days post op and I just had a moment where I thought I was going to cry my eyes out. My parents just invited me over for a meal and I figured their might be something I could eat so as I wonder in the house I instantly see hamburgers, hotdogs, fried potatoes, homemade cheese cake, and several other homemade goodies. Keep in mind that my parents have no idea about what and bandster can eat after surgery so please don't pass judgement on them. I look at my Mom and tell her I can't have any of it and not only does it break my heart, it breaks her heart too. Firstly let me say this, I am one of them Good O Country Boys who loves home cookin. And my Mom is literally the best cook ever and she enjoys seeing her Family enjoy her food so I feel bad for her as well. So I sat on the deck with the rest of my Family as they ate and I finally had to just get up n leave cause it was too much for me. And as much as I hate to say it I'd say as soon as I got out of eat shot my Mom started crying. I feel so bad for not being able to eat it. Don't get me wrong they all understand why I didn't, but they also know how much I enjoy my Moms cooking. But I have a little bit of happiness from the fact that I didn't give in and try any of it. Oh well.[/quote']

It will get better! I promise!!! But be proud that you toughed it out...just imagine shackles breaking off your hands and feet every time you make a good decision for your health!

I'm sure your mom is very proud of you!

Mom did not know of surgery? Need to help her plan menu for when you come over. Show her what doctor said you can eat and I bet she will help.

As others have said it gets better and what you and your mom went through sucks but man, what you are doing is so worth it. You are going to feel so great and you will eat those things again just way less. As a mom I can tell you, your mom is so proud of you even though it is an adjustment for everyone. Stay strong and know it is going to be great!

Thanks so much everyone, this really helps. I actually talked to my Mom afterwords and I felt like I needed to apologize and when I did she asked me what I was sorry about and that she understood completely. She just hatd it for me because she knows how I enjoyed setting around the table with my Family and talking. She also told me that in time she knows I will be at athe table a healthier and happier man because of this and that she Loves me very much. Gotta love those Moms. Nothing in this world like em.