Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about Quinoa

Has anyone tried Quinoa since being banded? Has it caused any problems? I would like to try it because of all the health benefits but I don't want to cause any problems once I'm banded and healed.

Thanks in advance

Sunshine

Quinoa is a popular food here in bandland. Noone I know has had any issues with it, but than again, our bands have minds of their own. Try it..it really should be no problem AND its delish :)

Thanks I've been reading all this wonderful info about it but I didn't want to try and cause problems

Sunshine

I prefer quinoa to rice and have not had any trouble with it. If you haven't used it before, I recommend roasting it dry in a skillet for a few minutes, then use broth for your cooking liquid as it adds flavor. It's great with black Beans and diced tomatoes, cold in salads, or there is a great Moroccan dish at Epicurious if you like a little spice... http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Quinoa-with-Moroccan-Winter-Squash-and-Carrot-Stew-233714

Enjoy!

My nut just put an article on quinoa in this months newsletter so I would think it would be ok or she wouldn't have focused on it

I get stuck with white rice. Is quinoa similar to cous cous? I'm not familiar with quinoa.

Peppers stuffed with ground tur- key & Quinoa ave you ever heard of quinoa (pronounced keen-wah). An unusual word, I know. You’ve probably never heard of it be- fore. In fact, many people are unaware that quinoa is an amazing super food. This plant is indigenous to South America and has been used by local people there for a long time. The plant was eaten to help give Incan warriors energy on their long journeys and during battles. The Inca’s thought so highly of this food that they treated it as a sacred plant. It was part of almost every meal that they ate. The quinoa plant produces seeds, which are the part that is eaten. The seeds can come in a variety of colors including yellow, red, pur- ple, green and white. They have a nutty flavor and a fluffy but slightly crunchy texture, much like rice. Quinoa is considered a whole grain. However, it is less known than other grains such as wheat, oats and rice. Quinoa has an abundance of health benefits associated with it. This grain definitely packs a nutritional punch. It provides 12 grams of cooked Fiber per cup of cooked quinoa. The daily recommended intake for adults is 25-25 gms of fiber/day. This is a great way for many people to get their fiber in. Quinoa also provides 9 gms of Protein per cooked cup. This is higher than any of the other whole grains. For individuals who fol- low a vegetarian or vegan diet, quinoa is an easy was to include pro- tein in the diet and ensure adequate intake. Protein is an important macronutrient to help maintain lean body mass which supports as increased metabolism and protein keeps you feeling full for longer. Other benefits of this nutrient-dense grain include Iron, magne- sium and Calcium content. All of these minerals are very important in the diet and help boost energy levels, reduce headaches and mi- graines, lower the risk of hypertension, and increase bone health. An additional upside of eating quinoa is that it is gluten free, so those individuals with celiac disease can consume this grain without any problem. Quinoa is also a quick and easy food to prepare and is available in most grocery stores. Before cooking the grain, it should be washed first to make sure and saponins (the protected outer layer) are re- moved because they can cause it to have a bitter taste. To prepare it, take one cup of uncooked quinoa, combine it with two cups of Water, allow it to boil, and then simmer for 10-15 minutes. When done, the seeds should be very white or almost translucent. It can be served hot just like oatmeal or cold in a salad. Add nuts, berries, flax seed or veggies to it for a healthy and delicious dish. Enjoy! HQuinoa: A Super Food

Both that and couscous are great subs for Pasta and rice and have more nutrients.

I haven't had any issues with either.

Great info thanks...I will definitely try once I'm healed!!

Sunshine

:)

I'll have to try quinoa. I have issues with couscous if I don't eat it in teensy tiny amounts, very slowly. Otherwise can make like a plug and give me some discomfort...it's one of those grains that can compact itself if swallowed too quickly for me. So I'll give quinoa a go, and appreciate the above hint and link to the Moroccan recipe!

I love quinoa! And it's high in Protein and fiber. I used to eat brown rice on a regular basis, but now I prefer the quinoa. Health wise, it's a better choice.

A great treat - take cooked quinoa and serve it with warm fat free milk, Splenda and cinnamon. It's AWESOME.

The first time I ever heard of or tried quinoa was at a destination spa I went to about three years ago. The restaurant at the spa focused on healthier preparation and choices. Turkey burgers instead of beef, gluten-free dishes, vegetarian, etc. Whole wheat breads, organic eggs...all that type of stuff. I was bowled over by how delicious the quinoa was. Glad to see that it is so much more well known now and available pretty much everywhere. I've also seen it substituted for certain Pasta dishes and that's always a better alternative than processed food.< /p>

Yep have had Quinoa without issues. It's a very healthy food choice.

Brad