Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When can you begin to use a straw again? It kinds grosses me out drinking off a glass in a restaurant but I used a straw once by accident (about 2 weeks after surgery) and was completely miserable.

I asked when I went to get my first fill (6/12/13) and was told "never again". :(

From what I have read on this board some dr's say it is ok so you might have to ask yours when you go for follow up visit.

Mine said no straws ever

Okay I haven't been banded yet...still in the 6mo dietician limbo, but why can't you use straws?? I too cringe at the thought of drinking from a restaurant glass.

I've used straws for over 4 years with my band and no problems. My doc's office says nothing about straws and as far as I know neither do the makers of the lapband.

There are mixed reviews on this issue (as well as some others). My doctor also says no straws, yet I do not have any negative issues with them. I rarely ever drink anything without a straw, and without one, would never get in all the Water I need to drink.

I don't see how you get in all that air they talk about, unless you keep sucking at the bottom of the glass; like trying to get that very last drop of liquid?

My doctor also said no gum. I tried that one out about two weeks after surgery, and was miserable. I used to chew gum all the time, now I stick with Tic Tacs.

My Dr told me that straws give you more gas.

I learned accidentally that it does, about a week post surgery my hubby handed me a drink w/a straw. I wasn't thinking, I just took the drink and started sipping away. About halfway through I realized and took the straw out but the gas was already there.

I was just thinking it was so close to surgery maybe that's why it made me so bloated and gassy.

Guess not.

I have also discovered that gum is also a nono for me :(

But I have noticed that when I just drink from a cup I burp and burp so I am wondering if it really doesn't matter or if straws give you more gas than drinking straight from a cup...

as my friend mrsinto said, you will get many opinions

the one that matters is what YOUR doctor advises of you

so call and ask your doctor and get the correct opinion

on straws, gum etc directly from them so there is no doubt.

btw, my dr said no straws either so i adhere to that rule.

otherwise, whatever works for you.

If you use a straw, you can swallow air into your stomach. They are concerned that the air might inflate and stretch the stomach, and thus stress the staples that hold the band. Same reason for the ban on chewing gum and for carbonated drinks.

From what I've read, the restrictions vary from doctor to doctor, and the effects probably are different person to person as well.

I ditto GuyMontag. No one ever told me to stay away from straws. IMO there are far too many old rules that many docs traditionally hang on to that are just silly for most patients. Maybe not using a straw during the healing phase is a good idea but if you're one year out, you should know by now what activities irritate or stimulate your band.

tmf

I was told using a straw is up to me but that it can cause us to swallow more air. As far as restaurant glasses, I am grossed out too but I stick to the not drinking during meals so I don't have to worry about that. :)

Well I use a straw and I wasn't told NOT to use a straw. So, in a public restaurant I will only use a straw. My doctor had originally banned carbonation but in small amounts it is OK. So I occasionally indulge in a diet Coke or diet Pepsi but not everyday l used to drink a diet soda everyday but not anymore. Now if they took my coffee away I'd be in serious trouble lol. I love my coffee!

I've used straws for over 4 years with my band and no problems. My doc's office says nothing about straws and as far as I know neither do the makers of the lapband.

Yep, five days out and at the hospital the nurses gave me ice Water with a straw! No problems!