Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frequent air travel with lap band

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the forum and although I have lots of questions, the one I am most concerned about is air travel. I am an International Flight Attendant so I travel long distances quite often. The flights are anywhere from 3 to 14 hours depending on where I am going. Does anyone know how soon I can return to work? How much time should I take off? Will it be safe to fly? My concern is deep vain thrombosis (DVT).

I believe you should consult your surgeon for those answers... I know there are a few who do fly on here but not sure about long flights...

I've flown around 10 times since being banded and I've never had a problem. The cabin pressure could tighten up your band but won't hurt it. I agree that talking to a doctor would be a good idea but it shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

Thanks! I appreciate the quick response. I will definitely speak with my doctor. ???Š

I am a flight attendant - send me a pm and we can chat. I fly domestic, but fly anywhere from 8-12 hours a day with lots of takeoff and landings. I've never had an issue - I eat before, during and after my flights.

I have flown many, many times since being banded and have not had one issue at all. I do agree that you should talk to your doctor and get his opinion to ease any fears you may have though. Best wishes!

I fly internationally, my husband is british and we travel quite often to see his family. I have found that in-flight my band is quite tight and I am not hungy. I just try and drink lots of fluids in flight. Once I land, I don't seem to have any trouble with the band itself. Good luck to you!

My doctors told me do not eat or drink in flight, but on a really long flight what do you do? I flew 3 hours each way and drank part of a shake and felt full on my trip to Tucson, but coming back I did not drink anything and felt full when I got off in Seattle. I saw no difference, but on my trip down I must have tightened up as I did not want to eat and only drnk liquids for the first half day.

i would personally disregard any doctor's advice to not eat or drink during a long flight. I fly internationally (12 hours each flight) and would not want to risk dehydration or the immense thirst not drinking for 12 hours (or more, if delayed!!!) would provoke.

As for eating: If you can drink (and really there is no reason you wouldn't be able to drink---just don't go get a big fill right before getting in an airplane !), drink. If you can eat, eat the band-friendly stuff they serve. Much of what is on offer on airplanes is not band-friendly for me (bread, Pasta, rice-based dishes) so I pack my own food in my carryon.

I pack Protein bars and Protein powder, fruit and nuts. Or sometimes I'll preorder a vegetarian option but that often come with Pasta or rice, neither of which I eat. So my advice when flying is to not worry about a too-tight band, but do bring on your own food especially for a longhaul flight. And sip sip sip Water all through the flight.