Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A One-Year Old Newbie!

Guest bubbles

Guest bubbles

I'm new to this site; new to the whole web support system. I've been banded for a year, lost 40 lbs., then hit a plateau for about six months, then gained back 5 lbs. Panic set in, so I found a support group and info about these websites. Those 5 lbs are almost gone again, and I'm learning lots from people on obesityhelp.com also. I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

Welcome Bubbles!

Since you have been banded for a year, can you share more about your experience? For example, how many fills have you had and at what level are you at with your band? Being a new bandster and only having 1 fill at 1cc, I enjoy reading about others experiences.

Take Care,

Hi Bubbles! Welcome to the site. We'd love to hear more about your experience indeed. Did you have any real-life support group to attend?

Glad you found us--may your second year be the year it ALL comes off! ;) :eek: ;)

Hi Bubbles,

I started out gathering info at obesityhelp.com as well and a wealth of information I did gather! I think you will find everyone here to be very warm and welcoming and I hope you will find all the support you need to help you through.

Hoping to be banded soon...

Darcy

Guest bubbles

I have had only one fill....1 cc. The doctor was hoping to add more at that time, but I nearly fainted. He does all fills with the scope. I'd be curious to know if this is how all docs do it. I was standing, with this long needle and syringe hanging from my belly and he asked me to tack a second sip of the "yummy" stuff and I about fainted.

When I saw my doc about a month ago and had gained, he asked lots of questions about my eating habits. It was obvious to the both of us that I was not eating because I was hungry, but for the same old emotional reasons I have always eaten. He did not want me to get another fill until I dealt with the emotional stuff. So, I am, and I'm getting back on track with the food plans, although I never saw a nutritionist and have not had the support in that area that it seems many of you have had. So, that's one of the things I'm learning about as I read the postings.

Happy to hear from all of you and anxious to learn more!

Hi Bubbles,

I am at 1cc at well, my first fill thus far... I am already looking forward to fill #2 because I feel very little restriction. My doctor does not use fluro (scope) when giving fills... unless she runs into a problem or can't access the port. She had me lay on the exam table and I didn't even see the needle, but then again I wasn't looking for it either. ;)

I realize that a lot of us have emotional eating problems, myself included... but I feel that a perfect fill will help me to deal with this problem. I am not saying that it is the cure all, I still have to deal with the emotional side... but my mind is stopping me from overeating and stopping me from eating mindlessly. I have over done it a couple of times and the discomfort is memorable, enough to make me think about doing something else when I want to turn to food for comfort or stress release.

I wonder if others on this site would agree or is it better to deal with emotional eating before you hit your sweet spot with some good fills?

We do hear it said sometimes that "if you don't get a grip on the emotional eating the band won't work for you." I don't buy it. The band's aim is to help you eat less, that's all. The emotional end of it is our job, before and after banding. But if, in the meantime, I can eat LESS, that's what I want.

I may not ever be able to completely abolish the reasons for poor nutritional habits, but I can do what I can to change the habits themselves. That's where the band comes in.

One year and one fill and you've only gained 5 pounds??? that is great!! I am at 7months and have had 3 fills. It really took the 3rd for me to feel the restriction I needed. Even though you fainted, you might want to go for a second fill. I don't know the cause of your faint, maybe to much of that barium stuff?, the sight of the needle? or nerves? if these are the case I think the 2nd you will do better. I stand up when I am having mine and can't see anything or feel anything except a small prick at first. I always fainted when getting a shot before. The 2nd fill I swallowed way to much of that barium stuff and felt faint, the 3rd I learned from that lesson and even though they manipulated my port for the correct fill, I didn't feel faint.

Usually the first fill has little restriction, it is just to teach you how to slow down and chew thoroughly so the fact that you lost as much as you have is really your own doing, more than the fill so you should pat yourself on the back.

Guest bubbles

My doctor had a really hard time finding my port and getting the needle inserted. Although it didn't hurt, I could feel him poking around and new from his expressions ("oh shit") that he was getting frustrated! I think that added to my anxiety, and the near faint. I'm curious what your fills cost????

My fills are covered under my insurance so I don't pay anything. Some doctors range from 75.00 to 300.00 I believe. Don't quote me on that though