Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good Band - Fast (Home or Restruant) Food Ideas

I'm sure like most of you, our lives are more busy and we spend a lot of time running from one place to another. Taking kids from here to there or working tons of hours. I travel for my job... (not so much the last week since my class this week was cancelled) but all next week I'll be at a seminar and I also spend many many nights each month in hotels.

So I'm looking for a great list of the best band foods... I'd like a variety of suggestion from fast food to food you pop in your suitcase or quick an easy on the run food from home.

I'm asking also because I'm not super disipline on "taking my lunch" type food. Also bread doesn't go down so well so a sandwich is usually out of the question. I don't ususally have access to a microwave or fridge so that makes it harder too.

Last, but not least, the food doesn't have to be low calorie. I want healthly whole real food but not necessary "fat free" etc... Sometimes it's just an emergency and my blood suger gets too low from working and running between clients that I have to pull into a fast food rest. Since the last fill I end up getting a milk or something just to correct the low blood suger but not "hurt" my band.

Any ideas?

Also, what do you get when you go to Mexican? or Italian? or what about McDonalds? (if it's the only choice around)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated?

Wow Cashley, thats a hard question LOL, since I can eat anything as long as I chew it that is.

You might want to take a few cans of Protein drinks with you incase that late night urge hits, or maybe some Protein Bars, they should travel well in a suite case. Maybe some rice cakes, baked chips, canned fruit, nuts.

I went to McDonnalds the other day, first time in a loooong time. I had the yogurt thingy with the fruit..it was tasty and 99 cents. I looked at the menu and gosh, nothing appealed to me (I'm not a fast food junkie anyway) but maybe just order a kids meal and take the bread off or eat the chicken. They also had salads.

At mexican places I get what ever I want, again I can eat anything as long as I chew, same with italian.

The only time I have trouble eating is very early in the morning and late late late at night, not even a glass of milk goes down well. But other than that lol.

Good luck, hope you get some good ideas.

at McD's i usually get the chicken nuggets or a grilled chicken sandwich and just throw away the bun.

Mexican food, usually again, chicken of some sort (i love chorri pollo) and same with italian, some chicken marsala with no Pasta. I've found something to eat at just about any resturant, it may not be the healthiest but if i'm in a bind it works.

I try to keep a Protein bar in my purse, the make some pretty yummy one these days.

Thanks for the tips... I just had 1/2 can cambells potatos Soup for lunch... it was kinda uck but it went down ok and not to many calories.

The yougart parfiet (spelling) is a good idea (I'm sure it's better then ice cream).

I still have issues with very much chicken and can't eat the wrappers at mexican or the Pasta at Itialian.

I had some yummy Tomato Soup at Applebee's the other day and wish more fast food rest. had Soup. I'm eating cambells a lot because it's quick and easy but it's not really that tasty.

Also I'm thinking about the Protein bars also. I'll have to experiement to find one that taste good. I heard someone mention a smores one the other day on here.

Right up my alley

Snacks- cheese sticks, trail mix, Protein bars, fruit cups, baked tortilla, salsa, sf chocolate and if you overdulge you won't do again....excuse me where's your bathroom, sf pudding

McDonalds, Water, cheeseburger/no bun, sugar Cookies, plain sundae, salad, chicken nuggets real slow

Wendy's, chili, potato, side salad, mandarine oragnes, light lemonade, small frosty, jr burger/no bun

Taco Bell, pintos/cheese, any thing and eat the insides not the outside

Whew I have to stop...that was good.

I love splenda to sweeten up healthy, low-carb high Protein cereals (Kashi-Go Lean) and cheddar rice cakes are good. I also always have beef or turkey Jerky on hand b/c it fills me up and is high in Protein. Just make sure to chew it VERY well though or it can cause problems. Hope you get some more ideas!!:hungry:

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Ortiz

237/210/150

5'7''

On the go:

Starkist tuna lunch to Go packs. They come with 6 ritz crackers, low cal mayo, pickle relish and a pack of tuna. No refrigeration needed.

Eating out:

Wendy's chili, baked potato, side salad, or the asian chicken salad

Fast food joints that have grilled chicken sandwiches will give you the meat and veggies without the bun.

Most any restaraunt serves grilled chicken and steamed veggies.

This summer, when Dawg and I start going out on photo trips, I'm going to purchase a small microwave for our car. Kind of odd and not very practical in all cars, but then if you are on the road all the time, it might be worth it to have in the backseat. They do have some very small ones now. Toss in a cooler and your on-the-road food options increase exponentially.

I went on a trip in February and took some Special K bars and snack bites with me...Chex Cereal is also an idea for a snack with or without milk (Frosted Chex is awesome) or any dry cereal (1/2 sugar ones are great). I eat alot of Soups (as we type!) and they are just easier...the Soup-at-Hand are great for in the car and on the go. Yogurt smoothies are good for the car. Take a banana in the car with you too. I have problems with meats and Mexican restaurants I usually have the Tortilla or bean soups and whatever soups they serve at Italian restaurants. Salads are easy too. Hope this helps!

I forgot about bananas... they are easy on the band and filling. Good idea. Also I think I will get some special K bars and the tuna packs. Expecially for next week when i'm in a conference that has the dreaded "Conference Meals" of Muffins for Breakfast, Roast Beef and uck for lunch and weird for dinner.

I'm hoping my taste changes to eat Chili from Wendies because that would be an awsome and quick choice... I don't like Beans so I've never liked it before but I tried some from the insides of a burrito the other day and they weren't bad. It's weird how taste change. Wish me luck on the chili... I hope to magically like it next try.

I'm going to get some Frosted Chex also since that will be a nice crunchy subsitute from chips. I've been eating Fiber One for Breakfast but it doesn't work as well as a finger food.

Thanks Everyone!

I'd like a variety of suggestion from fast food to food you pop in your suitcase or quick an easy on the run food from home.

Fast food...

• Taco bell - Pintos n' cheese (can have lots of skin so watch out), nachos bel grande, hard tacos or just the innards... the spicy chicken taco is really flavorful.
  • Subway - deli meat or tuna, you can just pay the "double meat" charge and get the meat put right on a plate.
  • Chipotle - bol in your choice of meat, whatever Condiments you prefer.
  • McD's salad (Cobb is good), fruit n' yogurt parfait.
  • Gas station stops - Jerky, Protein bars, fruit, yogurt drinks, etc.

Grab n Go:

• Starkist tuna salad kits, comes with tuna, low cal mayo, relish (eww) and a few crackers.
  • Lunchables, I get the small "turkey & cheddar" kind - these have saved me on a few trips!
  • Pepperoni (I prefer turkey, and I nuke it until it's crunchy)
  • Applesauce/fruit cups
  • Cereal bars (Special K w/ strawberries is the BEST!)
  • Pre-made Protein Drinks

I love Zone Bars and Luna Bars. I like the Pure Protien shakes which only have 170 calories and 35 grams of protien. Wish I had found them while still on liquids! They are great when I'm really hungry after the gym. I always keep bars and shakes in my purse or car for when I get really hungry.

I like cheese sticks and Jerky too. I'm always looking for portable protiens. As for fast food, I have not had any luck at all with it. In fact, almost every time I have been stuck has been on fast food. It has recently been making me really question if it's even "food" or not, since it does not seem to break down. It's fascinating how a few episodes of pain have such a huge behavioural effect. Before banding I was a fast food addict, and now, I pretty much avoid it at all costs. I have been able to get down chicken nuggets very very slowly, but that's about it!

Yogurt is good, and they make these cottage cheese "doubles" with cottage cheese on one side and fruit on the other. Absolutely delicious! I like to keep several of them in the fridge at work. Only 140 calories and very filling.

fruit is portable but I don't find it filling. I always try to eat it with some cheese or other protien or sometimes I find myself hungrier than before.

I haven't tried Taco Bell yet but I would imagine the bean burritos would work well (maybe just the inside and skip the tortilla).

I also found some vegan jerky at my local health food store. The flavor was not so great, but it went down great, was moist, and has 11 grams of protien and 74 calories!!! Can't beat that!

Nuts are good too and very portable.

I travel 50% of the time and it is usually always by plane so a cooler and such are out of the question. I am always home on the weekends so I never need more than 5 days worth. And honestly I very seldom eat fat-free, reduced-fat, or sugar-free things since I have been banded; I did before the band but now I don't think it makes much difference because my portions are so small. I also put these things in the Ziplock snack bags so I can save what is left and eat it the next day because I never eat more than half and I don't have to take very much with me.

Nutri-Grain Cereal Bars

Marathon Bars

Planters Peanuts (I get the small pkgs. at Sam's and I keep the ones I get on the flight because they are the perfect size.)

Crystal Light Single Serve Packages

In resteraunts I usually always order something that is in sauce, or that I can eat with ketchup or salsa. I do not do well with some meats if it is even slightly dry. For the most part I can eat anything with the exception of bread as long as I don't drink any Water (or anything else) while I am eating.

I haver had the band for 8 months and nobody even knows I have it. I did worry about the band and all the travel prior to getting it and for the first month or so afterwards but it hasn't ever been an issue.

Here's what I have discoverd -

Taco Bell - grilled stuffed cesar chicken (eat the innards) bean burrito or pintos and cheese

McDonalds - yogurt or nuggets (very slowly)

Restaurants - cup of Soup or side salad (not both), shrimp or crab cocktail. I've tried getting a hamburger and just eating the patty. Did not work well for me at all (had to make a PB run in the middle of it). Went to IHOP with the family last weekend - drank coffee and picked a few pieces of scrambled eggs from the kids plates and I was done. I can't eat in the AM anyways.

Take and go - Breakfast Cookies (new discovery-could only eat half of it and it even has protein!), Dole fruit cups (jelled sometimes and they have a new cream version now), cheese and crackers.

Great suggestions everyone! I LOVE Wendy's small chili! I goes down easy, is 200 calories and full of Protein.

Shawn