Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm still researching, but one of my fears is that I'll opt for WLS and I'll be hungry all the time, then the hunger overwhelms the surgery and undoes any good it might offer. Seen too many people revert to their old ways. I realize any method is only a chance to help and the tough mental part is my job, but does the lap band help to control hunger or appetite? That's where I could really use the help.

Yes, in fact that is the Lap Band's job, to control hunger. The ideal is to be able to go at least 4 hours without hunger after eating a cup or less of food.

Speaking for myself, I'm rarely hungry. Sometimes I even forget to eat meals because of it.

I'm only a week in and have no appetite at all. You might feel mentally hungry out of habit but not really to make u want to eat. I'm so afraid to get sick, I will follow the dr orders :)

Lisamase is right, head hunger is probably the hardest thing to fight. Even after 3 1/2 years, sometimes I still fight it. I am rarely hungry, tho'. Once you hit the "green" zone, you shoul dbe able to go around 4 hours between meals. Karen

I am so excited and I hope I am qualified! My biggest problem is Portion Control and always being hungry. I feel like I pig out (even on healthy foods) then I'm hungry a short time later. I know that this procedure would be perfect for me to manage my portions!!!

I am on day 12. Two times I cheated, once I threw up and once I spent 6 hours with a stomach ache and pooping. I am new at this and the head game is the worst. I haven't had my first adjustment but I am trying to live one day at a time and stay in the moment so I don't eat when I am not hungry. I have a stationary bike and I ride it but the toughest thing is the head games we all play with ourselves. Don't let fear keep you from making the right decision when it comes to surgery. Like the song says I get knocked down but I get up again so try to find new things to keep yourself busy. The best part is I don't physically feel hungry but once a day now the trick is teaching my mind that its ok.

I am never hungry, and have no interest in food most of the time...24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.........as far as head hunger, I used to get it all the time.......for instance I would dream of cooking something that sounded fantastic...say, something my Mother used to make,,,I would go to the store, buy all the ingredients, spend the afternoon cooking it.....then, when it came time to eat it...my band took over and slapped me...so I would wind up throwing it all away, and eating very little of it....same is true for doughnuts, and other things...throw them away...after a while, when a head hunger craving comes on, I can immediately dismiss it....and now I don't get those cravings all that often.

The band is in charge.....

Now you will read different experience here...some say not hungry in between meals, some say hungry all the time but with will power and determination can make it work....many differences with this WLS...I have my theories as to why, but it is none of my business........as long as they're happy and successful, it does not matter.

How can a person tell if they are physically hungry or if its head hunger?????

How can a person tell if they are physically hungry or if its head hunger?????

Lady J this is a great question! One I have been exploring at length with myself as well as with my hubby and even in Nutritional and support group.

This question is raised often by members and by the Nut when someone says they are hungry. "Is it true below the neck hunger" she will ask.."or is it mouth hunger or head hunger, which also covers boredom and emotional hunger."

Last night this question came up when a fellow member said she was hungry, and was snacking between meals or at the end of a long day.

I have pretty much driven myself batty with this question. Sometimes I have this internal battle with myself to figure it out. Am I truly HUNGRY or is it a maybe a not quite full and could eat, but not really "hungry" feeling?

Am I bored or upset or possibly thirsty??....oh the questions!! I been asking myself them and pushing myself to understand what true hunger and need to eat is as opposed to that "above the neck hunger".

What I have come up with so far as my answer is pretty much..feeling the "fullness" or "emptiness" in my belly, and then thinking on a scale of 1-10 what is my need to eat?

Then checking to see how long since I have had food or drink has it been 2 hours or 4, maybe 5. Then I think about, did I drink and hydrate enough? Do I maybe just want to "munch" or chew on something because I am bored, or upset, feeling lonely, out of habit...?

If all those are on point then I will move on to have something to eat or drink. If it's just a need to chew or fill a gap maybe a piece of gum I can blow big bubbles with like I'm 5! Always makes me feel better :) (unless it pops all over my face and gets in my hair then I just feel silly) :)

I'm still working on getting comfortable answering this question....

How about you all??? How do you know when/if your hungry?

I was banded 19 Aug 2013 and I've lost 37 lbs. so far. Being hungry and not handling that well was one of my biggest fears, after all, this is what usually defeated me in my many attempts to lose weight before. All I can tell you is what I've done to defeat this fear, day by day. I made the commitment to use this tool like it's meant to be used, no matter what. I challenged myself to delete as much processed sugars and bad fats from my diet BEFORE the surgery and I won! Still amazes me that I did that--it took me 3 months while waiting for a surgical date. So I didn't have cravings for that junk right after surgery and still don't. I follow the directions of my surgeon and his Staff, especially, the dietician,(to the letter). I make sure I have at least 20 gms. of Protein in each meal; usually more. It won't hurt to get in close to 80gms. a day. The more protein you eat, the more weight you'll lose. It fills you up. I don't eat until my tummy actually growls. I plan meals, shop for them, try for variety and track what I consume. I exercise. These activities are nothing new, I've done them many times with many other diets. The difference is the band. It works if you work it right. Step out in faith and trust it.

Thanks MTslim, I have same fear, but do you find you're using brute force willpower to overcome hunger or is the band helping you feel sated until your next meal. Have you had any fills yet?

I easily go 5-6 hours without hunger, however I'm fortunate to have a great surgeon who really listens to me and works with me.

I actually don't have a lot in my band but the last two fills have been tiny- .3cc then .1cc. This was key for me to have great hunger control while still being able to comfortably eat just about anything. If I'd had an overly aggressive surgeon, or one that didn't listen to me, it would have been very easy to get too tight.

I know the risks of being too tight and I'd much rather be looser than take the risk of a slip.

I don't have any willpower, that's one of the reasons I got so fat. I had my first fill 35 days after my surgery date and it's helping. Sure, I get hungry, if I go more than 4 hrs. without eating or don't get 20 or more gms. of Protein per meal & go without at least one protein centered snack a day. So I rely on my band to help guide me. I record what I eat; to track calories & protein, so Id know I'm getting enough, and follow the rules I've been given. It's working for me so far. I can't say if I'll need another fill or more, only time will tell. Some folks need only one, others need more.