Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 2 years and never been in green zone!

It has almost been 2 years in July and I have got fill after fill and a few unfills! I lost 60lbs and after this last unfill due to being so tight I couldn't even swallow my spit I have gained back 20 of those 60 pounds back :( I am going for a fill today after not having hardly any fill since February only because the last fill I had that was so tight has freaked me out about getting to tight again and not to mention my husband is so against me getting fills now after all that! I'm just scared I will never be in the green zone. I only need to lose 30 pounds to be at goal. I'm praying this fill today will be it! I guess what I'm getting at is if I get only .2 .3 fill will it make a difference????

For me.....from my experience. If you can, request a fill using fluoroscopy. It took me forever ( more than two years ) to reach the "green zone" too....for a couple of different reasons. And I've never had an unfill due to being too tight.

I'd never have gotten to this point without the fluoro. It CAN be the difference....once again, my experience. :)

I have been told that before! I think I will be one of those that they only way I will get close to green zone is doing it that way! 7.5 is too much and 6.8 was not enough so I think I was real close but after the 7.5 and my stomach almost closing up they took out Fluid and now I'm 5.5!

May I offer a few comments, without appearing like a jerk?

I see a lot of post about the green zone... some think they are there because the band greatly restricts their eating ability. In essence, the band is controlling their lives, instead of them being in control.

If the band is too lose, or too tight, then weight loss may not occur. I'd suggest that you carefully track every bit of Protein, and every calorie, that you take in on a daily basis. Then I'd document whatever exercise program you're following, and then schedule a meeting with your doctor's office or the nutritionist to learn what the problem is, and your best course of action to correct it.

.2 cc's can make a big difference....when you are close. My last two fills, with fluoro, were both .2 cc's.

http://www.hoab.org/fluoroscopy-machine-st-louis-missouri/

I just feel like if I don't have a good fill and have to obsess over every single bite of food I put in my mouth then I shouldn't even have the Lapband that I could do that without surgery! Right now I feel like I don't even have Lapband at all! Tired of fighting this battle I just wish It was a little easier then it has been on me! I thought i was going to get a tiny break when I got this done because obsessing over everything I eat and thinking about it 24 hours day is so stressful and takes over my life!

I understand your frustration....really, I do. BUT, even though it wasn't easy for me to get to this point, it's definately worth it in the end. I've had mine since Sept 09....getting to the correct adjustment only recently. And loving it. Best wishes!

Cannot possibly understand what is happening to you or your body,...but in my case....

With my last fill, which was only 1 cc, that actually did the trick for me....BUT it was rough to say the least..like you said, for me almost 2 full weeks...and everything was fine when I left the Dr.'s office, and for 24 hrs after....

But I came very close to flat out calling my Dr. to get a unfill....could not eat anything substantial.....

Now I am not suggesting this to anyone, just my story....

I stuck it out, determined to get it...I was of the impression that it was ME that had to change, and not the band....mind you, it was a gamble....and yes I did stress about everything I ate, as I have to stress about everything I do if I want it to be perfect....

Then suddenly, as if by magic...it all leveled out and everything has been fantastic since then...2 years ago....no more struggles....definitley in the Green Zone everyday since then....I don't have to think about what I am eating anymore...it all comes natural, from forming new habits....but it was a learning curve....

Was it because I adapted and finally learned I needed to eat differently? (probably) And stay away from those risky foods? (still do)

I think about what would have happened if I did get that unfill...I don't know....would I have yo-yo'd up and down? never getting it right?

Or was it because I was not giving the band adequate time for the inflamtion to go down but continuing to force myself to eat? I don't know....I may never know....all I do know, in my case, is I am glad I stuck it out.....I have now lost all the weight I possibly can, having a very low fat %. Dr informs me I am finished with my weight loss, and any further weight loss would not be fat, but muscle.(unhealthy, REAL starvation mode)

And yes, the band is TOTALLY in control of my life...I would not have it any other way because I have tried many times to loose weight and failed...I needed surgery to correct that....in control with permanent life change....

I appreciate everyone taking time to tell their story!!!! It does give me hope! I guess I just need to keep fighting for myself and it will happen! Thank you all so much and your advice will be very helpful for me!!!!! :) so happy to see someone being successful!!

.2 cc's can make a big difference....when you are close. My last two fills, with fluoro, were both .2 cc's.

I definitely agree with this!!! I've never had a fill using Fluoro, but I have had many .2 or .5 fills or unfills. It takes time and a LOT of patience to find the right spot.

And to make things even more complicated, the "right spot" changes. I posted about my own frustrations last week. I really felt like I needed a fill, but a few weeks ago I was too tight and went in to have .5 removed. My doctor reminded me that our bodies are always changing for one reason or another. Maybe that .5 was too much in April, but it seems that now I need it added back. So I went in over the weekend and I already feel like it has helped.

Hang in there! I understand where you're coming from. I was down almost 80 lbs at one point. This can be a long journey.

I am in a similar situation Going between too tight and too loose.

I am currently too loose but I needed that break I believe, to give my esophagus a rest and to focus on eating solids again. I have put on 12 lbs since I was loosened but a lot of that is Water weight lost due to dehydration.

I have decided that I would prefer frequent small fills (say 0.2-0.4 cc every 4 weeks). This will allow my eating habits to adjust to my new band situation, I will get to green zone when I get to it. I am also ensuring I remember to take the daily antacid prescription as I believe that was a contributing cause of being too tight as well. My endocrinologist reminded me that the extra acid is bad for me anyways as it puts more stress on the banded area of my stomach and he also wants me to stay on it long term.

I am also focusing on getting more exercise in. I am bicycling frequently and playing some tennis and making sure I make the best of this coming summer. That is my goal for the next six months. Do the things that are right for you and the weight loss will happen as it happens.

Best of luck.

For me.....from my experience. If you can, request a fill using fluoroscopy. It took me forever ( more than two years ) to reach the "green zone" too....for a couple of different reasons. And I've never had an unfill due to being too tight.

I'd never have gotten to this point without the fluoro. It CAN be the difference....once again, my experience. :)

How much extra does the fluroscopy cost?

I am in a similar situation Going between too tight and too loose.

I am currently too loose but I needed that break I believe, to give my esophagus a rest and to focus on eating solids again. I have put on 12 lbs since I was loosened but a lot of that is Water weight lost due to dehydration.

I have decided that I would prefer frequent small fills (say 0.2-0.4 cc every 4 weeks). This will allow my eating habits to adjust to my new band situation, I will get to green zone when I get to it. I am also ensuring I remember to take the daily antacid prescription as I believe that was a contributing cause of being too tight as well. My endocrinologist reminded me that the extra acid is bad for me anyways as it puts more stress on the banded area of my stomach and he also wants me to stay on it long term.

I am also focusing on getting more exercise in. I am bicycling frequently and playing some tennis and making sure I make the best of this coming summer. That is my goal for the next six months. Do the things that are right for you and the weight loss will happen as it happens.

Best of luck.

It is interesting to hear about your acid problems

I had some moderate heartburn at one point, and my doctor had me rush to see him that day for unfill. It was hard because he's 45-60 mins away from me, but I RAN to him in a panic. Now its weeks later, no weight is coming off due to no restriction, and i still have some mild intermittent heartburn. (Which I honestly do not think is due to my band, because severe GERD runs in my family, and there is no Fluid in there, but everytime I mention heartburn my surgeon scares the **** out of me. I'm getting tired of this)

I wonder if I need daily antacid to solve my issues?

It is interesting to hear about your acid problems

I had some moderate heartburn at one point, and my doctor had me rush to see him that day for unfill. It was hard because he's 45-60 mins away from me, but I RAN to him in a panic. Now its weeks later, no weight is coming off due to no restriction, and i still have some mild intermnittent heartburn.

I wonder if I need daily antacid to solve my issues?

I think sometimes the acid makes me tighter and sometimes being tight makes my heartburn worse. It is a vicious cycle. I used to think that I should not take antacids long term but my doctor has convinced me otherwise. I think being consistent with my antacids will also take some of the unpredictability out of the band tightness.

That is one reason I am not completely sold on the fluoro fill. All it shows is that the Fluid can pass through at the moment and you are not too tight. Drinking a glass of Water does that for me.

I am fine the day of the fill and the next week or so but I get tighter later, which brings me back to smaller, more frequent fills.

I think sometimes the acid makes me tighter and sometimes being tight makes my heartburn worse. It is a vicious cycle. I used to think that I should not take antacids long term but my doctor has convinced me otherwise. I think being consistent with my antacids will also take some of the unpredictability out of the band tightness.

That is one reason I am not completely sold on the fluoro fill. All it shows is that the Fluid can pass through at the moment and you are not too tight. Drinking a glass of Water does that for me.

I am fine the day of the fill and the next week or so but I get tighter later, which brings me back to smaller, more frequent fills.

Interesting to hear...

Thanks for your input!