Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't seem to hit 1000 calories with Dr.'s instructions.

My instructions for eating once on solid foods is this:

Eat under 1000 calories per day.

Eat three 1/2 cup meals per day.

Eat 60-80 grams of Protein per day.

Sip lots of Water throughout the day.

Do not snack between meals.

I am lucky to hit 600-700 calories a day unless I eat total crap. I feel like making healthy choices there is no way to get that many calories in a cup and a half of food each day. I was supplementing with 2 Protein shakes a day to make sure I got my Protein.

Am I missing something?

I have started carb cycling but I am eating more than a half cup at a time and I eat 5 times a day. I am eating about 3oz of protein (usually chicken or 99% FF turkey breast, ocassionally a steak) combined with either healthy fat or carbs and always veggies. I'm eating 1100-1200 calories and alternating my carb intake each day. It has only been a week and I am losing faster than I was with such limited calories.

I don't have any trouble eating...I eat slow and chew alot.

I'm just torn between my original eating plan and carb cycling. I want to be healthy but I don't want my body to get used to living on 500-600 calories a day because then if I ever go over that I will gain weight. But I also feel like I paid a ton of money for this band so I should be following the instructions. LOL

Ughh... why is weight loss so complicated?

What and how often do you successful bandsters eat???

I'm having this issue too. When I eat how I'm supposed to I can only get to about a max of 600 calories before exercise. I had a "cheat day" and still only got up to about 1000 for the day before my exercise. I'm only about 2 weeks out but all last week I didn't lose at all. I kinda figured in the beginning if be losing fast and I seem to be stuck

I can't tell if its because I'm eating too few calories or what. Is there a way to figure out your perfect number? I'm terrified to start eating more and gain, but that seems like the only way to start losing. This stuff is hard.

I have still lost as long as I stay under 1200. I am sooo conflicted on what to do. Last week I did carb cycling and stayed right at 1200 calories each day but alternated the amount of carbs (high of around 100 net and then as low as I could go which was between 10 and 40 net). This seemed to work for me as I lost 3.6 pounds that week but I am worried about eating more than "I am supposed to eat". I have not had any difficulties with my band or swallowing or anything but I hate being confused. I didnt realize before I was banded that our calories would be sooooo low. I am worried that 500-700 calories is not healthy. This week I am still going to carb cycle but I am going to shoot for 1000 calories and smaller portions (no more than 1 cup each meal). I just can't imagine having 500 calories then exercising and burning at least 200.

I really need to call the clinic and talk to a nutritionist. What were your post op instructions?

My nutritionist was very vague. They gave me a weekly plan for the first 4 weeks but only suggestions. No portion sizes or calorie goals. Right now I'm supposed to be in the mushy stage but I honestly don't see the point in sitting around eating all slider foods that don't satisfy me. I started eating boiled chicken and broccoli yesterday and just took tiny bites and chewed a lot and I've been fine. I'd just rather eat chicken then mashed potatoes so I'm just being careful and getting a lot of info from here.

My surgeon is really laid back (soda is ok, drinking with meals is ok...) which I love about him because I'm the type to do my own research rather than follow a strict meal plan.

I feel like I just need to find my right balance of calorie intake to lose the healthy way.

Hey ladies.. I was banded in October 2013 and have had about 5 small fills since. I am extremely active (jogging, Zumba, and roller derby 4-5 days a week) so I thought I should be eating more calories than the 600-800 that my dr suggested. I am losing but very slowly.. Maybe 4-5 lbs a month. My Dr. Days it's because I'm eating too many calories. He says the same rules apply now that did in the beginning and always will for someone with a band. Eat only a 2oz portion size when you sit down for a meal, and make sure you eat the Protein first. Then wait 5-10 minutes and if you are still hungry eat 2 more oz. that should be enough. Im 8 months post op and STILL have trouble doing this. I expect to eat like I used to and over do it. I also enjoy Protein shakes but my dr says to eat 2 oz of solid food in the am so it will keep you full, then have a shake in between Breakfast and lunch. He said the shakes will slide right through and won't keep us full.

Hope this is helpful... I know its a good reminder for myself since I struggle everyday with this myself.

My problem is I don't have a problem with being hungry or over eating. But I'm barely getting any calories and I'm exercising and I'm not losing. I measure all my food. So something has to change right?

I do use mfp. My band isn't restricting I haven't even had a fill yet. I can only eat such tiny portions I'd literally have to eat all day long to get to 1000 calories. I'm trying to do better, I had my meals and a couple Snacks and I was around 797 before exercise, and I'm going to stay off the scale for at least a week to give my body some time to change. I'm still new to this stuff so I need to make it work to me.

Also if anyone else is on mfp you can add me (callie_henry)

I do about 900 to 1000 calories a day... and about 80 or 90 grams of Protein, but I also eat more than cup at a meal.

The NUT was pushing the measuring cup (suggested 1 cup) but the APRN who does my fills said not to worry about portion size. He even suggested that I could increase my calories. It gets very confusing when everyone in the office isn't on the same page. I don't think I could meet calorie or Protein intake based on three 1/2-cup meals.

I'm curious about this as well. (No help though sorry)

I think you may be still healing and it has only been two weeks... Me it has been 8 days I have no clue yet and am learning, learning, learning... Yesterday I had the hungry horrors and ate all the cottage cheese, yogurt, Soup, and shakes I could!! Good luck with your journey you'll do great :)

I didn't notice it was so close to the surgery... the diet may be to promote healing. Stomach needs time to heal.

It's ok that your not able to eat that much right now. That will change eventually, your appetite will most likely come back. My dr told me to just focus on getting Protein and Water first. I didn't really do much exercising in the first few weeks bc I was still sore and on restrictions. If you're really concerned just call the drs office and ask I'm sure you're not the first. Good luck :)

I have NO problem eating. I can eat anything I want. My question is with only allowing yourself THREE half cup meals per day how are you supposed to get 1000 calories. ?? It is confusing when it seems like every doctor has a different plan but a band is a band so you would think the guidelines for eating would be the same across the board.