Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BEWARE!!Why did he use 11cm band on me??

2 months post op. 168 pounds then and still 168 pounds...

Just found that my doctor in Mexico put in size 11cm band. I understand this is only used for very, very large men. Now why did he do this? have 40 pounds to losewith a 27 BMI. I The only thing I can figure is that I insisted on the american band (INAMED) and they were trying to tell me to have the Swedish band but I thought I would have trouble getting fills with the band that was not FDA approved. Perhaps the doctor didn't have any 9.75 or 10cm bands in the INAMED so he gave me and 11cm that maybe was sitting around for awhile. I have no idea but I am not happy about it. This doctor in the city told me that they usually put in the Swedish band because it is cheaper for them but they tell you it is the INAMED.

I also found out that there are doctors in the States that will put in the band if your under 30 BMI and they are less expensive if insurance doesn't pay. In Mexico I paid $9200 with flights, and came back for fill at no charge except the flight and hotel. I have invested over 12K and still have not lost any weight. San Fran was only $8200 with 5 years of fills.

I also found out my asophogus (sp?) is failing.

Hi Dee,

I'm pretty new to this,so I can't answer your questions, but wanted to sday I'm sorry this happened to you.

What is going on with your esophagus?

Leener - I just have to say your signature is always so entertaining...

Dee - that's weird about the band they choice for you... Have you found a fill doctor yet? It should still work you just might have to have more fill then most since you have less to lose.

I've heard that they (some doctors) are doing cosmetic lapband for one 40 pounds over weight. I haven't seen any places but think i read it here. I'd be really interested in the cost... it's too late for me but not for my friends.

Hang on Dee. Many women have the VG band, which holds 10cc of saline, if I'm correct. Sometimes it just takes more fills to get the right restriction. It SHOULD have more to do with your anatomy, and not the amount of weight you need to lose. Some folks just need the larger band to fit around that stomach muscle. So, now what? Now you work with what you've got and make the best of it. I think you did the right thing getting an Inamed band. Nothing wrong with the Swedish, but, like you said, the after-care issue. Do you have a local doc for fills? How many fills have you had? What's your fill level? How's your eating? What's up with your esophogus?

I know, lots of questions...but if you want to make a go of it, you have come to the right place for help. Your larger band will STILL help you to lose weight. I'd also like to know who your doc is, so I'll go ahead and ask.

There are lots of people with the 11 cm band on this board. You will need larger fills, but it will still work fine. And as for prices, they go up and down and people have specials. Don't look at one price and make a judgement.

I am in Australia and most Drs have now changed over to this band because of reduced risks of slipping and erosion...I dont know how true it is, that is only what my Dr told me.

I have the VG band and I thought the same as you when I found out. The process CAN be longer getting to optimal restriction. Mine took 5 momths and 9 fills. I know we all want the weight off yesterday, I was the same. I use to post here saying I was going to be the only one that failed with the lapband because I had no restriction and wasnt losing weight. Here I am 13 months later and 85lbs lighter. It has been a nice slow loss that I am happy with. I still have a bit to go but so far things seem to be cruising along well. Have patience it really will happen, it may just be a little slower with the VG band.

Hugs

Thankee Cashley :-)

Dee, I also have the VG 10 cc band. It may be a blessing in disquise because there seems to be less erosion and such with it.

But the esophagus thing may be the bigger issue. I hear that can be a deal breaker.

I have had 2 fills, one with my doctor in Mexico where he said he put in 5 cc's and then today in SF and he put in 1 cc. He said my esophugus needs to heal and I cannot eat more the 1/2 cup of food in order for the muscle to start working again. It is not pushing liquid through because when we watched the barium it went up and down and then eventually went through the band into the stomach. He said it could stop all together and then I won't be able to swallow at all. Also, I had no idea that restriction meant the golf ball stuck in the chest feeling, so I would just wait for it to pass or drink Fluid to get it down and then I would just continue eating, Wrong!!. I just figured my stomach pouch was smaller now and I would get a full feeling, WRONG! I guess I learned by making mistakes. I wish I would have known about this site before my surgery. Live and Learn! I will be estactic when my weight eventually does come off.

Hi,

I know you must be very disappointed having not lost any weight. I'm sorry. Where in SF did you find a Dr. that bands for $8200? And where did you get your fill in SF? I have my surgery scheduled for this month in Mexico. If there is a closer option I could take advantage of I would love to be able to explore that.

Well, I can't say for certain why that band was chosen for you specifically, but I know it's been used on lots of people of many different sizes. It should all based on the size of the stomach, and really nothing else, from what I understand. The other thing is, that folks with lower bmi's have a tendancy to lose slower, especially if you don't have correct restriction.

As for the esophageal issues, I've heard of that around here too, and I'm not sure that has anything to do with the band size. Geezer Sue (can be found on the band removed forum), switched to DS, and it took quite a while for her esophagus to pick back up and start working correcting (if I'm remembering right).

Again, it *could* be because of the size of band that was used on you, but I'm not sure about that... I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to share helpful information.. I am sorry that you are having to go through all this though.

Guest myband

Dont worry, It will make no difference. It will work the same and you will loose weight.

My Dr now puts the VG on all his patience and has less errosion problems.

They used to say that the larger bands were mainly for men and the larger anatomy. Not any more, they are using the larger bands more and more. You follow the band rules, exercise and you will loose weight.

Dr. Cirangle and he is at 2100 Webster St in SF. Laparoscopic Assoc. of SF. Let me know if this doesnt work, please!! tell them Dee sent you, maybe I will get a discount on my next fill??? jk good luck!! By the way where do you live?

I almost got the VG band, my surgeon only uses two bands, it and the 10cm (4cc). Which he uses depends on the size of your anatomy once he's inside. I asked him during my consultation whih I'd get and he said he *guessed* the VG band, but it would depend... come to find out I actually got the 10cm. That was bittersweet. I liked the smaller band for fills, but -- and I have nothing to prove this, it's just my "logic" -- it seems logical to me that the VG band would erode less.

Anyways, no worries, it's not just for very heavy men. What fill are you at? What are you eating?

Hang on Dee. Many women have the VG band, which holds 10cc of saline, if I'm correct. Sometimes it just takes more fills to get the right restriction. It SHOULD have more to do with your anatomy, and not the amount of weight you need to lose. Some folks just need the larger band to fit around that stomach muscle. So, now what? Now you work with what you've got and make the best of it. I think you did the right thing getting an Inamed band. Nothing wrong with the Swedish, but, like you said, the after-care issue.
Totaly agree with Kathy!
It may be a blessing in disquise because there seems to be less erosion and such with it.
This seems to be panning out as well. The VG band might be the best type of band at this time.

There are so many issues that happen when you are just banded that not everyone gets or knows about. The band is a thinking persons weight-loss-surgery. For me I have to look at everything I eat due to reflux-heart burn or just foods that don't go down.

Dr. Cirangle is well known here in the Bay Area, So is Dr. McKeen. If your ever down by Morgan Hill look me up. Wishing you the best