Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Doing Something Wrong?

My surgery was Feb. 25, 2013. So far I have lost over 30 lbs., but I have not had a fill yet. The first opportunity to have a fill, I opted out because I was losing steadily. This past week I visited the surgeon and he thought I should not have a fill, since I am still losing weight. He seemed concerned that I wasn't eating enough.

I track everything I eat, keeping track of calories, fat, and Protein intake. I always have between 60-70 grams of Protein, and in the range of 800 calories, sometimes a little more, or less. I occasionally get hungry, but not regularly. I take Vitamins daily and Calcium supplements twice a day.

My Breakfast is usually 1/2 c. of fat-free cottage cheese, or an egg, soft boiled, or fried in pam, and apple sauce. For lunch I like 1/2 c. greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom (80 cal.). Sometimes I'll go out and have chicken salad, or 1/2 a chicken wrap. dinner is 1 1/4 ounce of solid protein, a vegetable, and fruit. If I need more protein, I have a Protein shake with skim milk. I like what I'm eating right now, but don't mind changing things up a little, especially if I need to. I live alone so I don't have to worry about cooking for someone else.

I'm gathering that the surgeon wants me to eat more, so my weight loss will slow down, giving reason to have a fill, to restrict my eating and increase weight loss again. He is wondering why I needed the band to do this, and all I can say is that I tried WW numerous times and was never able to get below 205, and I have broken through that barrier, finally.

So, what are the opinions? As long as I'm meeting my nutritional needs and not getting very hungry, should I be concerned? Any suggestions?

I do under 1000 calories a day, and keep the Protein between 85 and 90 grams (eat a lot of fish fillets.) I just saw my APRN yesterday, and he had some minor concerns that I could eat more if I wanted to, but he felt that I was nutritionally on a very sound track. He also advised NO fill, since it wouldn't have accomplished anything for me at this stage.

So long as you are getting enough nutrients and protein, I suspect you are doing quite well. But, a nutritionist would be the best one to advise you. Congrats on the weight loss!

I think he's truly concerned that you're not getting enough Protein and other nutrients. Giving you another fill could make you eat even less and that may not be good for you?

You must be one of the lucky ones who feel satisfied with less food right from the git-go. I'm envious.

Wouldn't hurt much if you threw in a cheese stick here or there to up your caloric intake. You may run into a plateau if your body decides you're trying to starve it. But, no need to worry just yet.

tmf

I would keep doing what you are doing until you decide that you need that fill. I only say that because I was also like you, pleased with the restriction my empty band was giving me, with a loss of 2 pounds each week. I met all my nutritional needs, just had bloodwork done which was excellent, and was enjoying everything I ate. I followed all my surgeon's post op directives to the letter in terms of reintroducing my foods in stages.

I didn't want a fill, but did not wish to be viewed as a non-compliant patient. My surgeon is quite authoritarian and is not open to hearing a patient's take on things. So I went and got my first fill last week, very reluctantly.

Right now I have way too much restriction and cannot even get down any of the healthy. protein-rich, real foods I was basing my diet around. But I'm going to give it a couple of days; it may be once the fill/band settles down I'll be able to reincorporate my salads, Beans, eggs, etc.

But I greatly regret not cancelling my fill appointment last week. I was doing just fine without it, and now I'm hating the way I have to eat (for the moment; again, this may change as the fill settles down.)

That said, it is providing me with a rapid weight loss. There's at least that benefit.

Thank you all for your response. Since I am feeling great, losing weight, and getting my required nutrients, I will continue with what seems to be working for me. I will keep trying different kinds of solid Protein. Low-fat string cheese sounds like a good idea to add to my lunch. I must become a little more adventurous. chicken and tuna will become boring after a while.

One reason I am being so cautious about what I eat is there are so many foods that were triggers in the past. Since bread has always been a weakness, why reintroduce it to my diet if I don't need it?

I say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I would keep doing what you are doing until you decide that you need that fill. I only say that because I was also like you' date=' pleased with the restriction my empty band was giving me, with a loss of 2 pounds each week. I met all my nutritional needs, just had bloodwork done which was excellent, and was enjoying everything I ate. I followed all my surgeon's post op directives to the letter in terms of reintroducing my foods in stages.

I didn't want a fill, but did not wish to be viewed as a non-compliant patient. My surgeon is quite authoritarian and is not open to hearing a patient's take on things. So I went and got my first fill last week, very reluctantly.

Right now I have way too much restriction and cannot even get down any of the healthy. protein-rich, real foods I was basing my diet around. But I'm going to give it a couple of days; it may be once the fill/band settles down I'll be able to reincorporate my salads, Beans, eggs, etc.

But I greatly regret not cancelling my fill appointment last week. I was doing just fine without it, and now I'm hating the way I have to eat (for the moment; again, this may change as the fill settles down.)

That said, it is providing me with a rapid weight loss. There's at least that benefit.[/quote']

I also followed my post-op instructions to the letter. When I was given information before surgery, it all went into a binder to I could refer back easily and keep track of everything. Just getting to the point of having surgery was an ordeal, that I don't want to do anything that will cause me to fail.

I'm sorry you aren't comfortable with your fill. Hopefully this will get better.

I had surgery May 2. Lost 18 pounds so far. But now I'm able to eat a little more than I would think I should. Getting a full next week. I hope they can find that happy spot so I continue losing. I haven't weighed myself since Monday because I'm afraid I didn't lose anymore. It's definitely true what they say. The dr put the band around your stomach. Not your mouth and brain.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I had surgery May 2. Lost 18 pounds so far. But now I'm able to eat a little more than I would think I should. Getting a full next week. I hope they can find that happy spot so I continue losing. I haven't weighed myself since Monday because I'm afraid I didn't lose anymore. It's definitely true what they say. The dr put the band around your stomach. Not your mouth and brain.

That's a nice lose Chrissy. I hope you do well with the fill.

My favorite saying is "Mind over mouth."

Ugh trying to respond to above post, I was banded on 5/7 and I know I can eat more than I should. I am having trouble figuring this out. I get no soft stop feeling. Sometimes I recognize "the sigh" but most of the time I don't. I get hiccups most every time I eat. It is just a few but someone told me that is because I ate too much. Can someone tell me, does the food we eat go through the band as we eat or is it all in the pouch and goes slowly? I have only lost about 3 pounds since 5/7. Compared to my previous life I eat WAY less so you would think this would be going quicker?

BJC do what works for you. If your current diet works, why change it. I have a friend who has had the band for almost a year now, never had a fill and has lost over 100 pounds (117 to be exact). She often asks if she should get a fill and I say. Can you go 3-4 hours without feeling hungry? Do you eat more that 1 cup of food a meal? If you can go 3-4 hour without feeling hungry and you are only eating 1 cup of food or less then you do not need a fill.

And it sounds like you are doing great with what you have. Keep it up!