Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots Of Questions...Am I doing it right?

Ok had the band put on May 8th. Started off at 321, during the pre-op diet I lost 9 lbs(which was a miricle since I really only tried for the last 4 days of it). Since the procedure, The first week I lost 7 lbs. Which is good I guess? I have not been hungry once and for the first few days I was only dringking Water with very little else. I could have started thicker liquids a few days ago but opted to stay with the thin liquids thinking I would lose more quicker. Daily I am taking in around 400 calories at the most, usually less with around 90+ grams of Protein (from whey protein powder). I have a few sips of chicken broth at dinner time. I have had a couple sips of wine a few times. I also take a liquid complete multi-vitimin daily. So my questions, is it possible not to take in enough calories? Will it hurt to stay on thin liquids for a prolonged amount of time? ( month or two?) It seems like most of the rapid weight loss is on the liquid diet, so why not stay on it until say 90% of goal is reached? I havent been hungry and have no urge to eat at all. Which is good. Last question, has anyone also took HCG injections during this stage (liquids or at all). Would that increase the weight loss even more? I just want to take advantage and make the most of the tool given to me....If anyone has an thoughts or comments I would love to hear....

I'm not a fan of HCG, so I'll just leave my opinion at that. IF you choose to continue your liquid extreme low-calorie diet (which is beyond extreme for your current size), your body is going to react in a not so pleasant way. You still need nutrition that you can't get from a Vitamin. broth has very little nutrition. At least you are doing the Protein Shakes, so I'll give you that. Please consider some other foods that are on your approved list that won't add a lot of calories or fat but still give you some nutrition. I average 700-800 calories in the early stages (and still 2 years later), and I lost quickly. (I also lost half my hair!)

I had thought as long as I took the multi vitimin I was ok. Didnt think about Hair loss or anything. The only down fall I have noticed is I am getting wore out or tired quickly. I work about 12 hours a day (mostly office, some field work (chem plant)). I went back to work the day after surgery since I felt fine...So far so good I guess

I highly recommend that you don't rush this along. If you follow you doctor's recommended diet progression, and eat band size portions of REAL food, you will lose weight. I would also stay away from wine for awhile; at least this early on. It has zero nutritional value, and not great for weight loss. Use those calories for something to fortify your body, not take away from it.

You took a big step with this surgery. Now, try & relax a bit and take one step at a time. Your lack of hunger and appetite is temporary from surgery. It will come back, and I would hate to see you set yourself up for failure, by continuing (what I consider) old "diet mentality" thinking. This is a WHOLE different thing.... Try & focus on your health, and not the scale. If you follow your doctor's instructions, you WILL lose weight :)

I support your desire to lose weight as quickly as possible - we've all been there. If you're like most of us, disordered eating is what got us into trouble in the first place. I'm concerned that your current diet regimen is too extreme. The beauty of the band is that it allows us to learn better (normal) eating habits with slow, consistent weight loss, which is sustainable long-term. So I'd advise a bit of caution. However, at some point your appetite will reawaken and you'll want to eat good, nutritious food. Good luck on your journey!

Thank you all for the comments, yea, I do need to get the "old dieting mentality" out of my head. Your righ, This is different than just a diet. Long term sustainable weight loss and better health is my goal. Not just numbers...Got to change my way of thinking....

You need to stay on your post op diet as your diet directs, however once you're cleared to go back to normal food you need to do that. Staying on a 400 calorie a day diet is serious deprivation. Not only are you not getting nearly enough calories you'll lose your hair, your skin will go to heck, you will be exhausted and cranky, and you'll burn muscle rather than fat leaving you very loose and unfit looking. It's simply not healthy.

Plus, if you lose weight due to extreme deprivation, you will pack weight back on very quickly once you try to start eating like a normal healthy person. The average weight loss with the Lap Band is 1-2 pounds a week. Don't be in a rush to dump the pounds, especially in such an unhealthy way. You're much better off losing it slower and keeping it off.

You need to see a nutritionist and establish healthy, realistic food guidelines to live by. This is so crucial not only for successful weight loss to keep it off after.

Best wishes.

thanks Missy, your right, I would hate to pack it back on. I cant go on for ever with Water and broth...lol. Im glad I found this website. So much good advice. Thanks to all!!

By the way, feeling wore out and tiring quickly kind of goes with it. Even now, I notice if I don't eat right, I'll crash. My son will see me wobbly and make me eat. LOL

You'll do great. You've got your head in the game, and that's a big part of being successful. There are too many posts on here about people doing the wrong thing and trying to cheat the band, so at least you're headed in the right direction. Plus, I'm going to lay odds that in a few weeks at most, you'll be VERY tired of liquids (if you last that long). ;)

remember oprah? she lost a huge amount of weight on a liquid diet so yeah it works

but once one starts (overeating again).......well, you know what happens

agree with miss and meinto, let the band do its job

and you do yours by eating your allotted amounts and eat better quality foods

i was told not to drink carbonated beverages. What is the danger or problems associated with that? I havent yet, and dont plan to but was curious. Is it for ever or just post op+ a few weeks? I have never been a big soft drink person, but I used to like an ocassional beer at a ball game or BBQ. Is that gone for ever?

i was told not to drink carbonated beverages. What is the danger or problems associated with that? I havent yet' date=' and dont plan to but was curious. Is it for ever or just post op+ a few weeks? I have never been a big soft drink person, but I used to like an ocassional beer at a ball game or BBQ. Is that gone for ever?[/quote']

I'm no doctor, but.....

It's not "gone forever". There are some very successful bandsters AND surgeons who tolerate an occasional carbonated beverage. I didn't drink ANY carbonated beverages for about two years post-op. Now, for the past couple of years, I will drink beer occasionally.... 55 calories at a time. It doesn't bother me as long as I go slowly.....everything in moderation. Talk with your team, see what they say. As far as "beer stretching the pouch", I dont understand how that could physically happen.....theres no restriction ABOVE the band. It certainly can cause some discomfort BELOW the band for me, if I drink too much or too fast. Ymmv...

i was told not to drink carbonated beverages. What is the danger or problems associated with that? I havent yet, and dont plan to but was curious. Is it for ever or just post op+ a few weeks? I have never been a big soft drink person, but I used to like an ocassional beer at a ball game or BBQ. Is that gone for ever?

The danger is actually of slips, not stretching the pouch. Because it's a liquid it goes right through, however carbonation expands the stomach below the band pushing upward on it. This could cause a slip.

When I was in the hospital having my Lap Band surgery, my roommate was in having her band replaced. Her band not only slipped but her stomach prolapsed up through her band- and it was caused by her drinking soda. She also regained 40 pounds.

You couldn't pay me to drink carbonation since being banded, I don't ever want to go through what that woman did. It's just not worth the risk.

I have an occasional carbonated beverage now (diet soda or rarely maybe half a beer), but I didn't attempt it for at least the first year.