Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill - How much did you get?

I know everyone is different....I was just wondering what the average is for a first fill?

I know everyone is different....I was just wondering what the average is for a first fill?

I don't think there is an average number. My doctor does a blind fill so he is very conservative.

Some doctors use fluoroscope where you swallow a barium liquid. My doctor fills me and makes me drink Water after the fill, I was able to drink a lot of Water the last fill so he gave me a little more of a fill, I drank water again but this time I had to stop dr

Drinking after the fill. I'm feeling good now with the fill and know when to stop eating.

Sorry my reply got cutoff but my doctor filled me and I couldn't drink a lot of Water without getting that stuck feeling so my fill is working.

Absolutely no average whatsoever. People's morphology is different; many people have a fill placed at the moment of surgery; some doctors fill slowly (perhaps to keep you coming back in = revenue stream); some, like mine, do a more-agressive fill. Also, remember that people have different sized bands, with varying lengths of tubing linking them to the port. So a 4 cc fill in one person with a longer tubing will not equal 4 ccs in another with shorter tubing. And 4 ccs in a 14 cc band obviously is a different restriction level when compared with 4 ccs in a 10 cc band.

Your fill should be tailored to your comfort. I understand the question--I read alot about fill levels prior to having my first fill a couple of days ago--and now I realize that, while interesting, you can't really do much with the information.

I understand all of that. Just asking more for curiosity sake.

Good question. Mine was 2.5CC, but only because I freaked out from the sensation it gave me. He started at 3.0CC, but because I had such a strong emotional reaction to the feeling, he took out half a CC. I wish I had been calm and ready. Ended calling the doctor's office back 2 days later and scheduling a second fill. That put me at 4.6CC and I feel a little restriction now.

Really excited about my third fill. Think I'm close to the green zone and that should do it.

From reading the boards, I'm getting a sense that 2.5 - 3.5 CC is about average. Some doctors only put 1 CC in at a time, but I think that's nuts. If my doc had done that, it would have been the 4th or 5th fill before I felt anything at all.

Ah, and around 6.5 CC seems to be average final result. I've seen a few with 4 CC getting restriction and staying there, but that seems a tad low to me. I think the amount of fill someone ends up with is all about their tolerance to the restriction. The tighter it is, the more foods people seem to have to give up. Personally, I'm willing to give up a lot of food.< /p>

I got a 2.5cc primer fill in my 10cc band during surgery. According to my surgeon's PA, people rarely need more than 5 cc for that band size.

I had 4cc at time of surgery and first fill 2 weeks later of 1.5 for a total of 5.5. I am really happy with this amount, full for 5 to 6 hours on half a cup to 1 cup of food. My doctor has me scheduled for my second fill at 4 week mark next week, but I think I will decline it and just use the time to talk nutrition.

My doc doesn't fill at all during surgery. At 6 weeks postop you get your first fill of 2.5 cc then you go every 6 weeks as needed. It seems very conservative compared to what I read on here.

Hey there! I got 3.5 the first time. Hope you're having a good day. :)

I just got back home after my first post-op appt. I found out I already had 5cc in a 14cc band. He put in another 1.5cc, so bite I have 6.5cc. I was dreading the needle, but it wasn't that bad. I had a little queasy feeling while he was filling it. Otherwise, it was good.

I have a 14cc band, I received 3.5cc at surgery. 1st fill was 1cc about a month out. I don't remember what the rest have been. My last fill was .05cc and it was just enough to help restrict. But I am at 9cc now and feel great - I am my sweet spot!

3weeks post op. Just got my first fill. I had 0.5 from surgery and she just added 3.8 yesterday. Feel the same while eating but did go 4 hours until hungry. However I do feel I can eat a lot at one sitting but choose not to.