Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thought i knew what i wanted...

Went to the seminar last night and when I went there I had my mind set on the lap band. But after the surgeon went over all 3 procedures (band, sleeve and gastric bypass) the sleeve kinda sounds good too. I guess my question is how did you guys decide on lap band over any other procedure?

For me, I was a low BMI patient and felt I just needed a little help. So, the more drastic surgeries seemed to be over the top for me. And, since the band is reversible, I always have the opportunity to go with the more evasive surgery if the band doesn't work for me. But, so far, the band is my best friend.

tmf

Bypass was never a consideration for me. Too radical, I felt. Sleeve wasn't offered, as far as I knew when I had mine done. I'm extremely happy I chose the band, but today, I'd want to consider adding plication. Consider, being the key word.

Theres another thread on here today from a longer term bandster, whos considering surgery revision, to add plication, with his surgeons advice. Maybe check out that thread for additional info/suggestions.

Best of luck in your decision.

For me it was because I can go back and get a fill which to me is a helping hand.. with bypass and sleeve, once your done with surgery, there isn't much else they can do to help you... and lets face it.. for most of us, this is gonna be a life long struggle... we will ALWAYS need help.

any WLS is good.

any WLS also has pros and cons.

any WLS can have complications

but no matter what surgery one gets, they need

to remember, its not a guarantee or a miracle

to lose weight just because its WLS.

whichever you decide to get, research, read, ask questions

and keep in mind, the more you do to (help) the surgery, the

better your success is.

best decision i ever made

hope it is yours also

I so wanted the sleeve over the Lapband. My head was set on it. Then after attending a third seminar and meeting with the surgeon I knew Lapband was the ONLY way to go in my case.

I am an ovarian cancer survivor and my surgeon said the sleeve was invasive and if anything happened to my stomach and they had to do surgery on my stomach that I would not have a lot to work with.

The Lapband is reversible and if I had any complications where I might need abdominal surgery at least I'd have a big enough stomach to work with.

The Lapband is reversible, the sleeve is not.

I'm extremely happy I chose the band, but today, I'd want to consider adding plication.

What is plication?

I have to COMMEND your Surgeon :) for reviewing Different WLS ,too often they don't :angry:

NOW your next step is to consider what your personally comfortable with in terms of WLS, It's ALL invasive surgery, they ALL have complications.

Too often you'll hear oh the LB is less invasive, it's reversible..WHAT? If you have complications minor (PB's Sliming, food geting stuck) or Major (Slip, erosion,Pouch enlargement) all the major ones needing further surgery. But I'm not here to convince you of any of the WLS' that decision is yours.

I will include a few links so that you can progress in your research.

GOOD LUCK not matter what you decide.

LB Complications

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3038361/

Gastric sleeve

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3431119/

http://www.bariatric...ve-surgery.html

Gastric Bypass OR RNY

http://www.bariatric...ss-surgery.html

What is plication?

Here is a link to another forum from this morning. I posted the answer about plication.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/170182-6-years-after-band-thinking-of-adding-plication/

After the seminar and talking with the surgeon, I had originally scheduled myself for a gastric bypass. 10 days before surgery I freaked out and canceled it. It was SO extreme, and the fact the ALL of the surgeries bring you to the same end result, I decided to go with the less risky procedure. AND reversible!

What I mean by all of the surgeries all ending up at the same end result is, with the bypass, there is a 12-18 month honeymoon period where the weight melts off due to malabsorption. After those months, it slows down and it's up to the patient to eat the way they are required for that surgery. After that time, many start gaining weight back, as they can with ALL surgeries. The difference between the band and the bypass, is that with the band, your work starts the minute you wake up from surgery :-)

The sleeve was never a consideration for me. There is a potential for leaks at the staple line, which is a life threatening complication, requiring a good 4-6 weeks in the hospital. That is a complication that I cannot afford.

Look into ALL surgeries before making your decision, including reading the online forums specific to the surgery you're considering. Leave no stone unturned, because once the sleeve is done, THAT is it......75% of your stomach is gone for good.

Good luck!

Here is a link to another forum from this morning. I posted the answer about plication.

http://www.lapbandta...ding-plication/

http://www.lapbandta...ding-plication/

That is what I was thinking it was, but I guess I thought that was standard with Lapband Surgery? No?

Never mind! After watching the video, thanks JACKIEO85, that is not what I thought it was.

I so wanted the sleeve over the Lapband. My head was set on it. Then after attending a third seminar and meeting with the surgeon I knew Lapband was the ONLY way to go in my case.

I am an ovarian cancer survivor and my surgeon said the sleeve was invasive and if anything happened to my stomach and they had to do surgery on my stomach that I would not have a lot to work with.

The Lapband is reversible and if I had any complications where I might need abdominal surgery at least I'd have a big enough stomach to work with.

The Lapband is reversible, the sleeve is not.

Congratulations on surviving cancer!

That is what I was thinking it was, but I guess I thought that was standard with Lapband Surgery? No?

No, it's not. As a matter of fact, plication is a new procedure, and not yet approved by the FDA. They've been doing it for around 3 years, and it's still considered investigational. However, the data is promising, and many doctors are offering it.

Congratulations on surviving cancer!

Thank you for the congratulations on my cancer survivorship. I'll be cancer free going on 30 yrs and I feel very blessed.