Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are you guys doing on the pre-op??? I start the 11th and I'm scared! I mean seriously I don't wanna turn into a b***** from not eating..... God help us all!!!!! :)

Im on Day 4 (was supposed to start yesterday but I started a few days early lol :P) and I'm feeling pretty good. I'm drinking 3 Protein shakes a day along with a weight watchers meal for dinner. At least I get some sort of food lol. I'm down 8 pounds already from Sunday!

You will do fine its all about your mind!!

Hi all, and congrats to you for your upcoming surgery dates! I don't have mine yet; meet with the surgeon next week, and will hopefully have it within the next 30 days!

My question is going to seem weird, I guess but -- my surgeon does NOT require a pre-Op liquid diet. In fact, it's a high-protein, low-fat, low-carb diet, but still eating 1200-1500 calories a day! The only liquid diet pre-op is the 24 hours before surgery, and of course the days after. Does this seem strange, or do different doctors just do different things that (hopefully) have worked for their patients? I don't want to have bad results from not doing all I can ahead of time, but if my surgeon doesn't require it....I'm thinking I'm not going to torture myself! LOL

Has anyone else NOT had to do a liquid diet pre-Op?

Thanks for any info!

Hi all' date=' and congrats to you for your upcoming surgery dates! I don't have mine yet; meet with the surgeon next week, and will hopefully have it within the next 30 days!

My question is going to seem weird, I guess but -- my surgeon does NOT require a pre-Op liquid diet. In fact, it's a high-protein, low-fat, low-carb diet, but still eating 1200-1500 calories a day! The only liquid diet pre-op is the 24 hours before surgery, and of course the days after. Does this seem strange, or do different doctors just do different things that (hopefully) have worked for their patients? I don't want to have bad results from not doing all I can ahead of time, but if my surgeon doesn't require it....I'm thinking I'm not going to torture myself! LOL

Has anyone else NOT had to do a liquid diet pre-Op?

Thanks for any info![/quote']

I'm on a calorie controlled diet but taking in a lot of Protein shakes (meal supplement) and having a weight watchers for dinner

Okay guys, day #2 and I already cheated... I hate myself for doing this, but even with my overly enthusiastic optimism just a few days ago, I just mentally don't have the willpower. I've been having 3 Protein smoothies, very pureed apple sauce, greek yogurt, lots of Water, and diet snapple, BUT i caved and ate a small bag of pretzels along with a granola bar today... :unsure:

I feel like if I HAD the ability to be on a 100% liquid diet for 14 days, I wouldn't be in the situation I am right now. Hey, at least I'm not currently going through the McDonald's drive-thru.... ugh.

I feel like I just let my fellow banders-to-be :(

And since no one at work knows about my impending LAP band surgery (I told them I was just having hernia repair -- it's not that I'm embarrassed, I just don't need people's judgement and 2 cents), I had to explain to some of my nosier coworkers that I'm 'detoxing' before my operation to ease the acid reflux discomfort. I mean... sorta true??

Good luck to everyone on their upcoming surgeries! Mine was yesterday!!! I just found this site today! I was only on the liquid diet for 8 days pre-op and lost 12 lbs. I go in for my follow up next Thursday. The one thing I've noticed on here so far is that several people have posted either they have never gotten a fill or they are reluctant to get filled...I don't understand that. The way the band works is through filling it to the right amount for each person to get the proper restriction and thus weight loss. Why would someone not get it filled?

Alisluv, my surgeon doesn't require a pre-op diet either. In fact, there are a lot of restriction other folks seem to have that he didn't put on me (I'm okay to use NSAIDs after first week, am on full liquid immediately post-op, can have carbonated beverages after 30 days if I want etc). It's a bit scary, but he's done thousands of these and his stats are published right on his website...and are very encouraging. So I'm not going to make this harder than it needs to be, although I've kicked a pretty severe diet coke habit already (might not hurt the band after 30days, but who needs the extra gas? Plus that stuff seems to be so bad for you...). I'm on the road right now on my last business trip pre-op and am actually missing my Protein shakes...perhaps rules vary for different conditions (e.g. Diabetic, high BP, BMI etc.), but there are several folks here who didn't do pre-op diets and are doing just fine...

Anyone else in TeXAS?

Yes I live in Texas I am in Haslet, TX. North of Fort Worth. What part are you in. BTW I get banded the 28th of May.

To answer some of the question above, everyone's dr's are different, some have you on all liquid diet and some have you eat with liquid diet like one solid meal, it just all depends. The sole purpose of doing the diet is to shrink your fatty liver so that your surgeon will have an easier time operating in there. I was allowed 3 Protein shakes a day, broth, sf Jello, sf popsicles until I became very weak that I passed out twice due to low blood sugar (no I'm not diabetic but my sugar dropped for some reason) so my surgeon authorized me to eat a Protein Bar on 2 days and a salad 2 days with chicken for Protein.< /p>

Also to answer about fills, some need no fills to feel restriction, it's either Carolinagirl or MIssy on here that has no fill I think it's Missy and she has done awesome, me I have 5.5cc's in my 10cc band and I think I'm in the green zone. I feel restriction, I can go 4 hrs between meals, now if I could just get rid of head hunger, sheesh. Old habits die hard. Night time is my worst enemy.

Donna

Day 2 of pre-op diet. I lost 4 lbs yesterday thank gosh. It is giving me the motivation to get through another day of all liquids. Good luck to all of you. We can do this!!!

I'm on day 5.. but I'm not going to weigh until I go to the Dr for my preop tests. its difficult but not as bad as I thought.

I start my liquid diet on the 10th and I have my surgery on the 24

My surgery is also on the 24th and I started my two week last Friday so on day 3 now. It has been very hard but i'm determined because they said if I don't loose weight they will cancel/postpone my surgery and I do not want that to happen.

I'm so excited and nervous, I haven't told many people either because I'm scared to be judged partly but I think mostly because I'm embarrassed that I've let myself get to the point that I even would need LB. But I'm doing this for me, my health and to live long and healthy for my kids.

So happy to see posititve people on here that are in the same boat as me, I look forward to getting to know you all better and getting and giveing support.

-Chasity

Anyone else in TeXAS?

I live in Katy, just West of Houston.

I'm 7 days in and doing well now. I'm down 10.5 lbs. I did cheat on sat and eat 1 bite of grilled chicken. SF Jello and broth are my friends. I'm getting excited and nervous for next Monday.

My surgery is also on the 24th and I started my two week last Friday so on day 3 now. It has been very hard but i'm determined because they said if I don't loose weight they will cancel/postpone my surgery and I do not want that to happen.

I'm so excited and nervous, I haven't told many people either because I'm scared to be judged partly but I think mostly because I'm embarrassed that I've let myself get to the point that I even would need LB. But I'm doing this for me, my health and to live long and healthy for my kids.

So happy to see posititve people on here that are in the same boat as me, I look forward to getting to know you all better and getting and giveing support.

-Chasity

Don't be embarrassed, be proud you are taking the steps to change and become a healthy person for you and your family. I felt embarrassed at first and didn't want to tell anyone, but you know what? I am doing this for me and my family. I want to enjoy going on vacations and doing things on the weekend without having to sit down and rest or being embarrassed about my weight. I want to go ride roller coasters without worrying about the bar not being able to lock over all my fat. I would love to go to the beach and not be so self conscious the whole time I can't enjoy myself. To me those are more embarrassing than getting the lap band.

You should be proud of yourself for getting the help you need to make the changes in your life to become a healthier person. Let people know so you have more people in your corner to talk and support you. There are more people than you know out there that are supportive of the lap band, and most of them know someone close to them that have had it done. I was amazed when I opened up about it. I am getting support from people I thought would be very judgmental. They are proud of me for choosing a healthier lifestyle.

One step at a time... we will become a slimmer, healthier person!!! Good luck!!!

Mandi, thank you for your reply it made me cry to read your post because I can relate so well and you're so right. I am very happy that I'm getting this done and I know I shouldn't be embarrassed, and I hope that overtime I can share with more people. I have told my kids and my mom and about four close friends and they all supported me and I was surprised by their response. Especially my mom only because she tends to worry when anything to do with surgery is brought up. But she was very supportive and I know will always be there for me regardless.

My list is endless of the things that I can't wait to do once I get my first 40+ pounds off. I'm tired of living in the shell and missing out on life because I'm either too embarrassed to go, afraid that I'll weigh too much or just simply I have nothing to wear.

I'm glad I found this forum and look forward to the continued support and reading positive feedback from everyone.