Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there a difference in liquid NSAIDS than pills that are bad for the band?

I have a liquid form of an NSAID and was wondering if it is as bad for the band as pill form? Anyone know?

Thx

Donna

I didn't even know there was a liquid form available. I'll be interested to see if anyone knows too, I will try to switch to liquid form if it is safe, now that I have to crush anything bigger than a baby aspirin.

I was told no NSAIDs, period. Whether liquid or pill form, they still end up digesting in your stomach, which is where the damage is done. Apparently, having a lap band makes the potential for ulcers and bleeding worse. However, I have read in these forums that some are using the liquid. If you do it, I don't suggest it on a regular basis. Also, it's probably a good idea to take Pepcid or Prilosec to protect your stomach.

It has nothing to do with the form you ingest. Nsaids cause the blood to thin and there is a lot of blood in the lining of your stomach. The area where the band is placed can develop ulcers which then lead to a slip. This pressure from the band can cause an irritation and the extra thin blood then comes to the surface causing an ulcer.

It's similar to not taking aspirin, ibuprofen before surgery. It can cause excessive bleeding since the blood is thinner and does not coagulate as well. I still take ibuprofen maybe once a week when the joints swell from over excercising but I don't take it daily as I did before band. Don't tell my doc :(

I keep liquid ibuprophen on hand for those times I really need relief from my back pain. I take one dose, wash it down with at least 16 oz Water. This is a once every month or two thing. I also cannot take narcotic pain meds because of my motility disorder. The pills can get hung up at the stoma and cause direct injury. I was told no pills, liquid very infrequently.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/ulcer/pain-relief-for-ulcers.aspx

How NSAIDs Affect the Stomach Lining

NSAIDs work by lowering the levels of enzymes called cyclooxygenases (abbreviated as COX), which in turn lowers the production of another substance called prostaglandin. Decreasing COX and prostaglandin helps in controlling inflammation, but is not so good when it comes to keeping the stomach lining healthy. This makes it harder for the body to maintain the stomach’s protective mucous lining, control the amount of blood flow in the stomach lining, and control how acidic or alkaline it is inside the stomach.

My doctor gave me liquid hydrocodone after surgery. I didn't have any problems with it. It really helped with the shoulder pain along with gas-x and a heating pad.

I take norco for osteoarthriis (spellng) for my back. I know its not the best for the stomach. I take as needed.

I take Mobic (meloxicam-generic) for herniated disc issues. I take it about 2-3 times a week, over the every day prior to surgery. The doc told me that's one of the drugs that is okay, along with Celebrex & a couple of others. They're still not great, but the reality is, so many patients have orthopedic & arthritic conditions, and they can't tell patients to live in pain because of the surgery. He told me to continue taking Pepcid or Prilosec if I take Mobic on a regular basis.....to protect the stomach lining. But the huge NO NO is the over the counter NSAIDS. I used to live on those, and really miss my ibuprofen.

I take Mobic every day. Hope to quit once I have my hip replaced next month. I don't take any other pain or anti inflammatory meds.