Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back on the "Band" wagon!

I am new to this site and thought i would give a little background before sharing my concerns.

I had my surgery back in FEB 2009. I had immediate success (50 pounds in 3 months). I currently hover around 300- down to 290 back up to 310.

What happened? I had a great surgery and post 4 months, then the wheels fell off. I never considered that band maintenance and my doc was over an hour and a half away. So I used that as an excuse to not go back. I settle with the initial success, then my job moved me to northern Maryland, I really thought I had a good excuse for putting it off. However, i found out there was a doctor in my town who could support me.

Problem 2 - $$$$ my insurance - like many others i assume - treated every adjustment as surgery and it cost me $150 each time. The first fill was too small, then next was better but not perfect, the one after that was a disaster- way over filled and couldn’t keep anything down. A fourth visit-emergency bc I was hurting so badly- in so many months was required. I had just spent $600, plus time off from work and in the case of the last one a ruined day of a vacation.

I became jaded and said forget this band I will just stay here in this weight range and deal with life.

I tried working out more- even got into running- but something would happen and I go eating poorly. Before you say it- i know- the band will not stop stupid eating choices- but i know when the band is full i don’t eat badly bc i can’t stand the pain.

So here I am, nearly 14 months removed from band adjusting. I feel terrible, it hurts again to play with my kids ( 3 girls under 8 ), I am sucking down food like a black hole.

I am ready to change- and I want to stick to it- for me , then my family, but most importantly bc of me.

I am scared bc it has been so long I will not remember the nutritional stuff- food options- how to eat and function after an adjustment. I would really appreciate any links, feedback or suggestions you may have. I very much enjoy reading your posts- they are incredibly encouraging. I really look forward to using this forum to support this oh-so-needed healthy change in my life.

thanks all

I am new to this site and thought i would give a little background before sharing my concerns.

I had my surgery back in FEB 2009. I had immediate success (50 pounds in 3 months) followed my dismal failure (since gained back 20ish). I hover around 300- down to 290 back up to 310.

What happened? Had a great surgery and post 3 months, then the wheels fell off. I never considered that band maintenance and my doc was over an hour and a half away. So I used that as an excuse to not go back. I settle with the initial success, then my job moved me to northern Maryland, I really thought I had a good excuse for putting it off. However, i found out there was a doctor in my town who could support me.

Problem 2 - $$$$ my insurance - like many others i assume - treated every adjustment as surgery and it cost me $150 each time. The first fill was too small, then next was better but not perfect, the one after that was a disaster- way over filled and couldn’t keep anything down. A fourth visit-emergency bc I was hurting so badly- in so many months was required. I had just spent $600, plus time off from work and in the case of the last one a ruined day of a vacation.

I became jaded and said forget this band I will just stay here in this weight range and deal with life.

I tried working out more- even got into running- but something would happen and I go eating poorly. Before you say it- i know- the band will not stop stupid eating choices- but i know when the band is full i don’t eat badly bc i can’t stand the pain.

So here I am, nearly 14 months removed from band adjusting. I feel terrible, it hurts again to play with my kids ( 3 girls under 8 ), I am sucking down food like a black hole.

I am ready to change- and I want to stick to it- for me , then my family, but most importantly bc of me.

I am scared bc it has been so long I will not remember the nutritional stuff- food options- how to eat and function after an adjustment. I would really appreciate any links, feedback or suggestions you may have. I very much enjoy reading your posts- they are incredibly encouraging. I really look forward to using this forum to support this oh-so-needed healthy change in my life.

thanks all

Kyle (aka creativebond)

Currently: about 312lbs

Max: 355lbs NOV 2008

Low: 284lbs JUN 2011

Best of Luck on your journey - dont be to hard on yourself (as we all tend to be) - remember the important part is what you are doing now - so forget the guilt of yesterday and focus on the future.

I fell off for several months myself. I saved money to get my last fill (also $150). I went back on Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch, snacking on fruit/raw veggies when I feel hungry. For dinner, I just eat whatever I cook for the family. However, I do not eat more than 1/2 cup! I quit snacking at night and I make sure to have dinner done by 6pm. I even limit my Fluid intake after 7pm. I do drink Water all day long. I also do the hot water, lemon and apple cider vinegar with "mother" in it before I have my first shake of the day. I am 13 pounds away from my goal weight and I am more determined than ever to get their before summer! Good Luck with it all and I am here to support you =)

Thanks all- appreciate the encouragement.

Peach- great info- will have to look up "mother" you stumped me on that one. thanks again!

I am curious about the morning drink also. I was banned on 09, lost 40 pounds, gained back 20, and need/want to get back on the wagon.

I have a spinal cord injury that Lumia my activity, wish it had limited my food intake instead. Lol

But, I want to get back on track!

Hi! I recommend you looking on the net and research Braggs apple cider vinegar with "mother"! It promotes weightloss and burns fat!

2 tsp Braggs acv

8oz Water

I also put 1/2 tsp local organic honey

I make sure I drink this quickly lol it will make you pucker :) I do feel so much better when I drink this! ACV has so many of great benefits! Also do a search on local honey and cinnamon! It is another beneficial hot drink for the morning! Again, the honey/cinnamon also has many health benefits!