Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure where to post this and I looked for the exercise thread, can't seem to find it though.

Anyone else have terrible shin splints from Running? I started walking April 2nd and added running into part of my routine last week.

I have tried warming up, stretching, squats, anti-inflammatory, pain meds, creams, lotions UGH :help:

Any other solutions that might help?

I can run 3-5 min and Im ok, then I walk when I get tired, run again and BAMMMM killer shin splints that I have to slow down and walk out and wait 5-10 min of walking again.

Maybe 80 oz of Water daily or 900 cal isn't enough with this much exercise? I am burning 140 calories on average each time.

Honestly, I used to run a lot when I was smaller and was told by the exercise physiologist at my surgeon's office not to run at this point. He said that it was very harmful to the joints and tendons of individuals over 200 lb. He said if I really wanted to run, use an elliptical machine so that there is no impact.

I'm not sure what would help the shin splints, but I thought I would pass this tidbit on.

:confused: Kristin

Thanks Kristin :confused: any clue why the exercise physiologist used the #200?

I used to run 6 years ago and had no problems whatsoever at that time I weighed 225-240lbs. I ran uphill, downhill and on a flat street.

Upteen million years ago, in high school I got shin splints too but that was from not eating and too little Water or so the doctor said - I was 120-140lbs.

I saw someone else post about the elliptical machine, and forgot to go look it up - heading there right now hehehe

I can understand the concept behind what they are trying to say about the joints and tendons.

I would think as long as you start slow and work up to it, when you can run is when you should start? <sigh> I am just so out of the cycle after 6 years who knows lol

I'll have to ask when I go to my PcP next week.

I just thought it was weird they put the #200 on running. I would question then why - maybe that's what wrong with me! I ask too many questions and think about things too much <slaps self in forehead>

My first thought was, individuals over 200 lbs - most major football players, basketball players etc. BUT they are athletes, and look at the larger FB guys omg some of those big guys can run (oh no now Im sounding like my husband)

This is probably obvious, but make sure you have REALLY good shoes for running; in this case you really do get what you pay for.

Also, shin splints will be worse if you run on hard surfaces (ie. pavement). You should try and run on a soft surface such as an indoor or outdoor track or even grass (be careful on grass though, as the surface can be uneven which can cause other problems like sprains if you turn your ankle).

So...shoes and running surface!!!

the best thing for shin splints is to ice your shins for a half hour after each session and do it religiously. i have been informed that the pain DOES go away after a while once your body has gotten used to the strain again. Ice really helps a LOT though.

i used to play soccer, and was an avid runner. what you need to do is strengthen those shin muscles. it sounds weird, but it can be done. best if you have a machine, but if not then you can use a rubber band (the workout type) and anchor it to something or have someone hold it. then put your toes in the other end and flex your foot up. do that for a count, then flex out to the right, then to the left. do this on each foot 3 times for full counts each time. this will help to strengthen those muscles. and after a time it really does work! meanwhile alternate hot and cold packs on them after working out. the hot helps the blood flow to the area to repair the muscle, and the cold help keep them from being too sore and swelling and getting too tight. when stretching make sure you are not just stretching in the flex position. make sure you are also pointing your toes and stretching the shin muscles that way.

shin splints are basically tight muscles that get tired just like the rest of our muscles. after they build up it is easier to prevent this from happening.

Ditto those exercises. I've recently began running and started fully expecting injury as the main reason why I had band surgery was due to a chronic bursitis problem in my heal and ankle. I had a year of physio, expensive orthotics and lots of strengthening exercises, then after I'd lost about 14kg I gave it a try.

I took it v-e-r-y slowly at first. Would only allow myself to run 2 days per week, did the elliptical and other stuff on other days. I gradually built up and I've had "sore" days but no real trouble, the most I could say is that whilst I dont have a lot of pain in the ankle anymore ever I can feel "dysfunction" in that leg. It just doesnt feel the same as my other leg, I suspect my lower back is more responsible than any foot problem like the podiatrist thought.

Shoes and orthotics help me ENORMOUSLY though, and I was told by both the physio and podiatrist that almost anyone who runs regularly (particularly heavier people) will need to go down this path eventually. I was told Brooks or Asics shoes and stay clear of Nike, that they're just fashion shoes and not really good running shoes. Have your feet assessed for inward/outward pronation and buy the right shoe, although it will cost an arm and a leg.

I got a treadmill recently too and the softer surface is much kinder to me, as I'm still 18kg or so overweight.

But it really hasnt taken me that long to build up - I can feel the increased strength in my legs and that's done nothing but improve the situation and reduce the risk of injury - when I started I could already run for half an hour in a cardiovascular sense, I didnt get too winded, but my lower body got so fatigued I had to stop. That's completely gone now and I can feel hard muscles under there.

I think 200# is an arbitrary number, obviously a large 200# man will have the bone, muscle and ligament strength to cope with running whilst a small very overweight woman may not.

Keep going, its soooooo worth it. I really believe nothing will be as good for your weightloss as running will. Just stay within your limitations, there's no rush, allow yourself rest days in between each run, that's vitally important at first, and cross train to keep up the increasing fitness and stretch stretch stretch, I spend as much time doing that as I do actually running.

well for me I dont run, but I LOVE the ELIPITCAL machine, its as close to running as i come to ....but it defintily kicks your butt as good as running will.......

absolutely...in this day and age, there are sooo many great machines out there (ie. elliptical) with which you can get just as good results from running (in terms of weight loss, muscle building and cardiovascular fitness) but without the harm, pressure and possible injury on your joints etc that actual running can do to you.

thanks a bunch :( so soft surface, bands for stretching, ice ice ice, ellipitical machine - I went and looked this up - trying to find a good one

I have good shoes and orthotics - (car accident from '99 so I have worn inserts since then and good shoes)

I know others have said the same things... but I used to get HORRIBLE shin splints doing my power walking....

To cure it I got awesome WALKING shoes (you would need running) and I drank tons of Water. Looking at your weight, I would think you need at least 130 oz of water a day... That is what I need :(

Maybe you aren't getting enough water.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes... I would love to run... but I don't know if I can :0) How tall are you?

Hey Lisa, Good luck on the running. It is my all time favorite. I've found I only get shin splints, when I've over-trained, and not given enough rest in between my running times. Ice is best, imo, and then if you're only giving 1 day in between runs, then you may need to increase that to 2, or 3.

Keep up the good work!

sam

WHOA ~~ 130 oz of Water? I thought I was doing good at 80 oz lol

btw I'm 5'7" Heather - I got cross trainer shoes since I walk and run, but now I see Nike aren't the best shoes!(even at $100)

Nike are the only ones I can wear that don't make my feet themselves hurt terribly :bananadoggywow:

Im still stunned over 130 oz of water hehehe I may as well just get a port o let and keep it with me.

Maybe that is what is wrong -- still not enough water and not enough resting between days as Sams says.

At this point Im willing to try ANYTHING so I don't have to give it up totally - Im losing inches more than pounds at this point, which has been a great incentive.

Is it May 26th yet? lol