Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good bye bandsters, hello sleevers

Does insurance cover the sleeve if they already paid for the band? I mean it would have to be medically necessary wouldn't it?

Good luck on your sleeve!

First of all, I thought for sure my insurance would pay for the band to be removed but not the sleeve. I about fell over when they approved the sleeve. Not sure what they put down to make it work, but was fortunate. My body would was rejecting the band and it was leaking. So maybe that's why they covered it. I was lucky. After everything went through with that band and my past doctor not listening to me for 7 months, I gained all my weight back and some. It just proves bariatric surgery does work. So I feel your pain. If you experience what I am experiencing, you will love your sleeve. It stops you from over eating. I experienced my first "Oh my gosh, I can't eat this whole thing and had to stop" and it was very little. I loved it!!!! Because of my past issues with my doctor i switched to a different doctor that I wish I had before. I met him a few times when my first doc wasn't; there to fill. Anyways, the only thing I had was I was under medicated for pain control. Sometimes general surgery floor do not have all the knowledge of what are needs are. In my case the orders were wrong and the nurse can only give what it says. My first day I don't remember to much, thank god. The second day was extremely difficult for me again because I was being under medicated and had to play catch up and it took all day. I know how important it is to get up and walk and I just couldn't. So that sort stayed with me for awhile. Pain will get your attention real fast....I am not trying to scare you, that was just a mistake on my orders and once I said something it got fixed. I am in the medical field so I knew something wasn't right...I am almost 6 weeks post op next Wed. and the time is flying. I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!! No more fills, no more adjustments, no more pain for me, Dropping 27 pounds in 5 weeks is very encouraging too. I understand why your nervous, maybe its just having surgery, not getting the sleeve. Surgery is scary...I went into the surgery smiling, because I knew I was on my way to being healthier and back to being me. I wish you well in your new journey and please, if you ever have any questions after your surgery, don't hesitate to ask. I remember I couldn't eat after surgery for awhile, just liquids...don't worry, I can eat now but very slowly and fill up fast. DRINK YOUR liquids THOUGH!!!! I am so excited for you and congrats on losing 128 pounds. That is an amazing accomplishment. Can I ask why you had your band removed??? Take Care. Renee

I loved my band, lost 155lbs, had it removed during emergency surgery when I was 26 weeks pregnant, gained 155lbs, and I am now being sleeved on 6/28 :-) can't wait.

I loved my band, lost 155lbs, had it removed during emergency surgery when I was 26 weeks pregnant, gained 155lbs, and I am now being sleeved on 6/28 :-) can't wait.

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry this happened to you. I loved my band too when it was working. Had the leak and chronic port site pain with always having a hard time finding the port for fills. So I would get poked like 5-8 times before they would finally take me to fluoroscopy to find the port. Anyways,, so you mind me asking what the emergency was? None of my business but was it band related or because you were pregnant. Just curious. Then you gained it all back...I feel your pain. I lost 70 and gained it all back plus some. So no one can tell me that bariatric surgery doesn't work!!! I love my sleeve. No more fills, adjustments every month and well, a new doctor thank god!! So your big day is June 28th! How exciting. Are you ok with everything or do you have any questions? Be glad to talk to you about it. I am 6 wks. post op this Wed. and lost over 30 pounds already. So very pleased with my surgery and myself. I need to exercise more though. You will be starting your new journey soon,..I keep a scrap book of my journey and I journal. its time for me and I see the results. In fact, last Sat. night I went to wedding and danced for all night long..i felt lighter on my feet. I have 80 pounds to go, they say you can lose 12 lbs a month. Holy Moly!!! I am aiming for that though. Please let me know how everything goes. I will put on my calendar when your surgery is so I remember to check on you! Any questions please ask...my big thing was pain control. I think I am in the middle when it comes to pain. I don't have High threshold for it yet I can handle some. But give me the meds so I can get up and walk around and get moven..that's what its for!! If you read my story, the resident under medicated me the second day so played catch up all day with the pain! Really pissed me off to be honest with you. Kind of a bad mistake when your in pain. But it got taken care of....I spent 2 1/2 days in the hospital due to I got a little sick and they needed to get my pain managed before I went home. So I wish you well and again, please keep in touch!!! But wow, congrats on your weight loss of 155 libs. That's amazing. Take care and chat soon....Renee