Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am postop 5 days and was wondering if anyone else had a hiatal hernia repair. I did not even know I had. Is this common? Also port site is very sore and was wondering how long that pain will last and does heat or ice on it make it feel better.

I'm having surgery tomorrow, and a hiatal hernia repair will also be done. From what I understand, it's pretty common, as one of the major causes is obesity.

Regarding the port, since I haven't had my surgery yet, I can only comment on what I've read through these forums. A heating pad is what I hear most. Never heard of anyone using ice. Hopefully some seasoned veterans will respond.

Good luck, and congrats on the surgery. I'm sure you will feel so much better in the next week or two :)

I had the same repair. My doctor told me beforehand that it might happen and estimated that he found hiatal hernias in (trying to remember the number) something like 75% of his bariatric patients. It's quite common, and if it's found during surgery and is not overly large, the surgeon will usually fix it while he's in there.

Port site pain is also not uncommon. It is the largest incision and the muscle there has the added trauma of a new foreign body adhered to it. Mine didn't bother me enough to treat it, but experiment with heat and cold and see what works. Ice will help any swelling, heat will help relax the muscle. You can even alternate the two to see if that works best.

Good luck, and welcome to banded life!

I am postop 5 days and was wondering if anyone else had a hiatal hernia repair. I did not even know I had. Is this common? Also port site is very sore and was wondering how long that pain will last and does heat or ice on it make it feel better.

I had mine repaired at the same time. Also, my stomach was in the wrong place and that was placed properly. But I did know about these well before hand. I took 6 pills a day to eat because of these problems. My lung doctor discovered them and he signed me up for the band by saying, you are going to this meeting and getting the band. I will always love him for that.

I am 6 days post op having the same symptoms, although today is my best day yet. Today I decided to just try ibuprofen and Tylenol for discomfort and so good so far! I too still have port discomfort and can't sit in a chair, reclining or standing up is most comfortable. Heat feels great!

I was to return to work tomorrow but that won't be happening. It's not that I am in so much pain .. And I would do it again, my body needs more time and I am going to give it all that it needs.

I am 6 days post op having the same symptoms, although today is my best day yet. Today I decided to just try ibuprofen and Tylenol for discomfort and so good so far! I too still have port discomfort and can't sit in a chair, reclining or standing up is most comfortable. Heat feels great!

I was to return to work tomorrow but that won't be happening. It's not that I am in so much pain .. And I would do it again, my body needs more time and I am going to give it all that it needs.

I was told nothing with aspirin ever with a band. Better check with the doctor. I was given liquid pain meds after the surgery. Use a heating pad for the gas pain.

Try ice on the port site and heating pad for shoulder pain or other pain caused by the gas. I remember feeling so silly with ice and heating pad on me but it helped.

Sorry u guys r having so much discomfort. I feel pretty lucky that I didnt have really any real pain, never even filled prescription for meds or use a heating pad. No nausea either or shoulder pain. Hang in there...it gets better each day. Just remember to try n walk n move around as tolerated. :)

I am 12 days post op and also had hernia repair - used heating pad - didnt have much pain but the heat was nice just the same. Wouldnt say pain at port but if move quickly one way might get a twitch. So ready to move on the some "real:" food but dont think my stomach is - have had some cottage cheese, egg salad but only maybe 1/4 cup at a time. Seems like forever but sure looking back in a few months will seem different.

I cleared it with my dr, she said l can alternate with a child's dose.

I had repair that I didn't know about until the surgery was done. My Doc informed me that she found it when she went to place the band. The major discomfort from that was the diaphragm pressure at the top of my lung bridge. The Hernia is VERY common. Some don't even know that it's an issues until after.

As for the PORT pain, if you sleep on your side , prop it up with a pillow. It helps keep the weight off the sight. My pain lasted a few weeks. It really started to feel better at about 3-4 weeks. Get some scar cream and walking helps. Heating pads are worth every penny for healing if you do not have one.

Best wishes to your recovery! Cheers on your new journey and to your success :)

Pond queen, I had a hiatal hernia repair. My surgeon had an idea going into surgery that I did and sure enough I did have a hiatal hernia. My surgeon said its very common amount weight loss surgeries. Good luck on recovery!

i had it also, and didnt know until i woke up and my dr told me..way i see it, one less thing for me to worry about..my port incision was tender for about a month...did not hurt but was sore and then tender as the scar tissue formed...i just did the normal liquid tylenol (cvs brand) when it got uncomfy....congrats on your surgery