Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys I was banded on March 14th and had my post op appt Wednesday after I removed the bandages I noticed raised areas around my butterfly bandages and it was itchy nothing horrible. I went to my post op and it was worse so the dr said latex allergies or the adhesive allergic reaction. And to put antiitch meds on it. So I did that now today Friday 8 days post op it looks horrible the cuts are fine and no sign of infection but I have large raised circles around my port and the 2 cuts beside the port. larger raised and very very itchy that nothing is helping. Has anyone had this happen to them?

My Grandfather had an allergy to medical tapes. Any time they placed anytype of adheasive including a bandaid on him he would break out. They eventually had to use a cotton ball and gause wrapped around him to prevent the adheasive from touching his skin.

This is a common allergy now, which is why a lot of places when you give blood use a little square of gauze and co-ban (streatchy wrapping) wrapped around your arm instead of a band aid like they use to.

Normally a small ice compress will help calm the itch or a cold rag.

I had a horrible reaction to the surgical tape. You could see exactly where they taped off the surgical field. I used a topical treatment from the pharmacy. I had NO glass pains. That allergy was by far the hardest part of my recovery!! The itching drove me crazy.

It is driving me crazy. All tape has been off since Wednesday and it is just getting worse. I have a call in with my Dr. I don't understand why it worse that just blows my mind and when my Dr seen it Wednesday he said oh gosh... Idk

I too an allergic to adhesive, unfortunately found this out after an epidural... By far the worst part of giving birth. So my doc used surgical glue for my sutures... Guess what? Allergic to that too. They had me take Benedryl by mouth and topically for a few days and the problem went away. I feel your pain.

Hope it gets better quick for you.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

Definitely got worse for the first week even though the tape as not on my body! Get an over the counter cream. No use suffering!

An antihistamine like Benadryl certainly might help. Use the children's liquid so you don't have to swallow a pill. At least ask you doctor if he thinks it might help. Just be certain that before you take it, the cream you are using doesn't contain the same active ingredient (diphenhydramine). If you're using a cortazone based cream, you should be okay. Sorry to hear about the reaction. Hope the rest of you're recovery is smooth sailing!

Hey guys I was banded on March 14th and had my post op appt Wednesday after I removed the bandages I noticed raised areas around my butterfly bandages and it was itchy nothing horrible. I went to my post op and it was worse so the dr said latex allergies or the adhesive allergic reaction. And to put antiitch meds on it. So I did that now today Friday 8 days post op it looks horrible the cuts are fine and no sign of infection but I have large raised circles around my port and the 2 cuts beside the port. larger raised and very very itchy that nothing is helping. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Use aloe. I have tape problems with burns

Well I'm at the dermatologist now at the request of my surgeon. I have used the cream and taken benadryl with no help.

Hope the dermatologist can get you some relief! Then yu'll be able to concentrate on your recovery and you journey from here. Good luck!

Hi again. Before I wrote from my phone and I said to use aloe. A few years ago before the band and having a huge stomach, I needed to have a mole removed and they used tape to tape the fat (I know TMI) and being sensitive to tape I had red looking burn marks. My cousin is a nurse and she said use aloe. The next morning, GONE! Good luck.