Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dang it! Dang it! Dang it!

Hi all! Well, I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!! Had my surgery yesteday (21 Apr)..spent the night (sleep apnea) and got home very early this morning.

Overall, the surgery went well; was hard to say goodbye to my husband as I walked towards the surgical room...but all was ok. It seems it took them a lot to wake me up but I don't think they were that worried since I was spending the night.

I am keeping on top of the demerol but I am feeling pain at my incisions and the left side of my neck is realllly sore.

The reason I'm sayin' "dang it" is because I don't understand my hunger. I followed (almost religiously) the 2 week pre-op diet (lost 16 lbs...which by the way the doctor said put my liver in excellent shape and made the sugery easier...ya...it wasn't for naught!)....anyways, I digress. I followed the diet and to be honest I didn't feel any big hunger pains....which is not what I expected to happen. BUT....when I woke up in recovery my first thought was: "omigawd, I'm absolutely incredibly FAMISHED" And, I've been famished ever since. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT???? My stomach has been growling at me since I woke up in recovery. I had IV drip all night...and today I'm drinking my clear fluids (Water, broth, apple juice, propel etc) but I'm SOOOOOOOOOO HUNGRY. And I have this week of clear fluids followed by two weeks of "solid fluids" before I can even move to mushies.

I guess I don't understand why I wasn't hungry before on such a restricted diet (the 2nd week yougurt is the ONLY thing I had for B, L D and snacks) but am so damn starving now. And, won't it get worse once my tummy is no longer swollen?

Don't bet me wrong....no regrets here...am very happy to be in bandland BUT I"m just confused/surprised about my hunger feelings.

I'm also afraid I might not recognize these signs of "gas pains"....not sure I ever experienced it before so not sure where to feel it. I have some meds (equivalent to gas X that y'all have recommended) but don't know whether to just take some or wait for the signs (but afraid I'll miss the signs).

Okay, 'nuff rambling. Sorry, I just wanted to say that I made it!!!! (& whine about my unexpected EXTREEEEME HUNGER.

Tks for listenin'!

Are you allowed to have Protein Shakes? My surgeon was a stickler that I get 60 - 70 grams of Protein in a day to promote healing. The stomach gurgling that you wrote about I had also and it lasted about 4-5 days. Thankfully, I did not have the gas pains that others did and I made sure I was up and walking as much as possible. Congratulations on having your surgery and I hope the recovery is smooth. Remember to keep yourself hydrated and eat every 3-4 hours.

Nope...unfortunately, no Protein drinks (per say) aloud, unless it is clear. I hear that Isopure is clear (?); if so perhaps I'll try and get my husband to pick some up. But next week I can start on things like ensure and boost for Protein (and I do have those in the house).

Tks for your help

Welcome to bandland! I wasn't hungry for more than a week following surgery so I can't help you there except to recommend Isopure which is a great source of Protein - 40 grams per 20 oz bottle - and it's clear so it won't interfere with your Clear liquids program. I recommend the blue Isopure as the one that tastes the best. Well, tastes the least like a Protein Drink anyway! I understand that the Protein will help you feel fuller or at least less hungry for a longer period of time than broth and other Clear Liquids alone. I will also recommend Benefiber mixed into broth or Isopure. Most people go through a period of the runs - not to put it too delicately! - followed by a period of Constipation. In my experience, Fiber helps with both phases.

The pain in the left side of your neck is probably from gas. Either that or referred pain from your esophogus (sp?). I got the best gas pain relief by standing next to my bed, bending forward from the waist and putting my forearms on the bed with my forehead resting between. You can bend your knees to make it a little more comfortable. It looks a little crazy but it really helped with gas pains for me - they went away after only a couple of days, for which I was very grateful. I think the Fiber, passing gas, and moving the bowels did a lot to help with recovery from the gas pain. I know, TMI! But if it will help even one person . . .

Good luck to you and please stay in touch with us at LBT.

Hey Yoda! Welcome to Bandland! I'd send your hubby out for those Isopure Zero Carb Protein drinks if I were you. They will help. Once you are on full liquids, blend some bean with bacon Soup in the blender with 1/2 can of Water (before heating). Turn it into pure liquid and then add the remaining 1/2 can of Water and heat. I've passed this on to a lot of folks and have heard that it really helps. I know it helped me.

The pain in your neck could very well be "gas pains". The diaphram stretches from the gas during surgery and the pain from that can radiate up to the shoulder and neck. Try using a heating pad on that area. I hear it helps a lot. Walk when you can, and sip sip sip. Keep yourself hydrated.

So glad to hear everything went well. And now.. begins the real fun. ;)

I was snarving as soon as I opened my eyes from surgery. All I wanted was a cheeseburger LOL... your not alone. Hang in there !!!!

Congrats on your surgery Yoda and for losing the 16 lbs beforehand!!!! Good for you!!!

As for the hunger, sometimes the pain meds can attribute to stirring up the hunger chemicals withing our bods. Everyone of course responds differently, but sounds as though you are definitely amongst those who are hungrier than those who go in the opposite direction. Sorrrrry, I know it's not fair, but this too shall pass. Whatever you do though, don't stop with the pain medication, then you'll just be hungry and hurting.

As for missing the gas pains, I don't think that would really be possible, they're kinda loud and strong from what I understand. I am happy to say that I did not experience them myself, but if you are having doubts, what harm could it do to take a dose and see if your suspicions are right? Now is not the time to play hero. Besides, you are already a hero, you went for the surgery and came through it with flying colors from the sounds of it.

Hope you feel better soon. The hunger will subside, it always does. Try warm clear liquids as they tend to be more soothing and satisfying.

Good luck wise one.

Cindy

Congrats!

Welcome to bandland.

I got hungry on the 3rd day afterwards.

;) Congrats Yoda! I was banded April 4, 2006, so we are in the April Bandster's Club together. I was totally the opposite with not being hungry for at least a week. I did not even want to drink the Protein but forced it and the Water. My recovery was the best as I did not have any gas or other complaints. Each day you will begin to feel better and better. food is just not a priority to me any more since being banded. Tonight I treated my aunt and her kids to pizza, which is my very favorite and I did not even want any. I thank GOD for this blessing (Lap Procedure) and also for my health ins (UHC, MDIPA) paying for 100% of it. Oh, I did have a $50.00 co-pay for the outpatient service at the hospital. Anyway it is getting late, take care of yourself, walk, walk and drink plenty of water.

Hang in there! I am a little nervous after hearing your words...cause I'm leaving on Friday for Mexico, and my most important mission is to find a good restaurant for my last meal!! Am I doomed? LOL....You did SO SO good pre-op to lose 16#'s!! I'm not even that close. Good luck and CHIN UP!! You'll get there.

Congrats on your band. I wasn't hungry until 3 weeks out. Then I starved until I got my fill at 6 weeks. 16 lbs is great. I was on Opti-Fast for 2 weeks before surgery and only lost 10. Can't help on the pain. I never had any pain from the surgery or gas. I guess I was really lucky.

Congrats on your surgery and :welcome: to bandiland!

First, I'd make sure I got some Protein in even if it's the clear Isopure from GNC. Personally, I don't think they taste the greatest but one has to do what one has to do during those tough post op stages.

Second, you mentioned that your stomach is growling, despite the liquids both orally and IV. Now, I may be reading more into this than necessary but.........just because your stomach is growling doesn't mean you're hungry. Your stomach just had surgery, it's used to having lots of food on a regular basis. Give it time to adjust. I remember hearing my tummy growl quite a bit immediately post-op. I was fortunate enough that I didn't have any appetite, but I just couldn't figure out why I was growling all the time. I came to the conclusion that it was a combination of being messed with for surgery, gas and shock-I had never really allowed it to empty before. This is a difficult one post-op, trying to distinguish between actual hunger and head-hunger. You can do it and I'm sure you'll get through this tough time.

Yoda--I agree w/ Dawn....my problem the 2nd or 3rd day was head hunger....food there that must be eat!! It will pass and it's easier said than done....don't think about it!! You will have a symphony down in your gut area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -37lbs :party: