Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hope this isn't a crazy question...

I've started the footwork to have Lapband surgery. So I've gone to my meetings, seen the shrink, done my diet and excercise thing for ninety days, and been approved for the surgery. I think all that's left is the final appointment where they set a date for the surgery. Here's my question...as I was sitting in one of my seminars a few weeks ago, the facilitator mentioned that the sleeve procedure had a higher weight loss rate than the lap band. So then I found myself wanting the sleeve instead! Now I only want to lose around 100 pounds so I can take my time to be honest, but I got panicky or something and just had to have the "better" procedure. I had already decided against bypass because its so invasive and irreversible,plus I don't completely trust myself not to blow it and stretch out my stomach again. Then I'd have no options left. But I don't know why the fear isn't there for the sleeve doesn't make me fear that. From what I've read though, the sleeve procedure is sort of a first step for morbidly obese people to having the bypass done. Any thoughts?

Not a crazy question at all :)

I'm no doctor, but I have researched all the different WLS extensively. I very firmly believe none is better or worse than any other, it's all a matter of choice and what's best specifically for you.

I personally chose the Lap Band over the Sleeve because I didn't want them to hack out 3/4 of my stomach. I also didn't want to deal with dumping and God forbid I ever got cancer or some other horrible disease of the stomach, I'd be screwed because I could never get that part they cut out back.

Btw, don't let anyone tell you the Sleeve or Bypass are the only options for someone morbidly obese. The day I got the Band, my BMI was a whopping 72 and I weighed over 400 pounds. In the 14 months since then, I've lost almost 200 pounds and my BMI is now in the high 30's. I'm still losing, too.

You have to do what is best for you, whatever that may be.

Best wishes.

Been wondering the same thing since I started this but am leaning more toward the band.....

At the time of my band surgery on Aug 6, 2012, my insurance didn't cover the sleeve. I've truly believe you should talk to as many people as you can. If you live near yoru doctor's office or can get there easliy. Park your car neaarby and see the people going in the office. Stop them and tell them you are interested in weight reduction. Ask politely for their opinions on what they received and how it's been so far. You will be amazed at how many people will openly give you the information you want to receive.

Best wishes And I chose the least evasive way at the time.

I went in asking for the sleeve (I was freaked about the idea of having a foreign body in me) and ended up getting the band anyway.

Here's why:

1/200 people die from complications with the sleeve. It's 1/2000 with the band.

There are potential complications with each surgery, but the ones with the sleeve are much more serious and painful. 1% of people who get the sleeve have leaks because the stitches/staples at the top of the stomach doesn't fuse right. Those people are in agony for months. You could be in the hospital for months. There's no way to know if you'll be that 1%.

And even if all goes well, the stomach can stretch over time leaving you with no other option but to diet or get a band over the sleeve.

I decided to try the band first, since it was less invasive, and hope all would go well. Knowing that if it didn't, I could switch to the sleeve later.

So far so good. Got the band in April and have lost about 60lbs. 50 in the first 4-5 months. I'm slow because I've had a hard time adjusting and am rebellious and I've been scared to have as much restriction as I need. Im a hardcore food addict!!!! But I look fantastic. 5' 2" and started at 266, almost at Onderland!!! I feel amazing, ran up the train station stairs today without getting out of breath. And this last fill was a big deal and I'm suddenly not hungry!!!

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

I lost 224 lbs in 22 months and I didn't have to restructure my anatomy. For me the band was a great choice.

The sleeve may have worked just as well but it wasn't something I was interested in. No matter what WLS surgery you choose, you must be dedicated to following the rules your dr puts in place. They are only there for your success.

The sleeve wasn't available back when I was banded but the tough of having my stomach cut scares me.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

Sleeve like bypass is permanent and much bigger surgery which equals bigger risks.

The thought of having my stomach butchered and intestines rerouted just didn't appeal to me.

I had originally consulted for a sleeve but decided against it for all the reasons cited by the previous posters. Also, the recovery time is much longer and I couldn't take that much time off from work.

When to my consult set on the band then he (dr.) pushed for the sleeve (because he believes would give a bigger weight lose). Was so torn but insurance would not pay for sleeve(which I know in my heart I honestly didn't want) Am set to be banded on March 26th and positive I made the right choice. Like so many others mentioned just could not go with have that radical of procedure. Best of luck deciding, listen to your instinct.

I would go to the support groups at my hospital and almost everyone there were bypass patients. They were pressuring me to get the bypass. I just couldn't do that to my stomach and have to deal with all the dumping, not able to absorb all the nutrients and the long recovery. I had both knees replaces and know long recovery. I just wanted to get on with life and was ready for just the band to help me. Thank God for the support here . Good luck with your decision.

Sleeve like bypass is permanent and much bigger surgery which equals bigger risks.

The thought of having my stomach butchered and intestines rerouted just didn't appeal to me.

Every thing you is said is so true. I never wanted my insides removed, cut or stapled. The band can be removed and the others-you're f**ked.

Froggy - there is a new procedure that they can now do along with the band. It's lap band with plication. It's where they fold the stomach in on itself and stitch it with non dissolving sutures. Without cutting, stapling or rerouting intestines, they make the stomach the size and shape of the sleeve, then put the band on top. I've talked with many people who have had it done, and I will most likely have it with my procedure on March 25th. It's been shown to reduce various issues with the band (slipping, less fills, etc.) and gives that second tier of restriction. The beginning weight loss is suppose to be better than with the band alone. It's been done for about 3 years, but not currently approved by the FDA. Therefore, insurance does not cover it. But you may want to ask your surgeon about it. Just another option that isn't invasive, like the bypass, sleeve, etc. Of all options, the gastric sleeve seems the most dangerous, especially in the beginning. As mentioned by SashaWLS above, if those staples leak, you could be VERY sick and in the hospital for months. That's I risk I cannot afford.

FYI - I was scheduled for a bypass last month, but freaked out ten days prior. TOO extreme, and since I have less than 100 pounds to lose, I feel that the less invasive procedure is the way to go (for me).