Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hearing horror stories of failure

Hello everyone! I am in the beginning phases of my journey. I'm in the process of getting my clearances. I'm hearing a lot of horror stories about the band working for a couple of years just to have the weight find its way back on. My family doc is suggesting the sleeve, but I don't think I want to go to that extreme. I know several people who have had roux en Y done and they have either gained it all back or they are very sick. This is one reason I have chosen to go the band route because it is adjustable and not irreversible should something go wrong in the future. So, has anyone gained their weight back with the band? Am I just getting the jitters? Thanks guys!!

It doesn't matter which WLS you choose, if you don't change your eating habits or fall back into old behavior you will regain the weight.

Whether or not you lose the weight and keep it off is entirely up to you and 100% in your control.

Best wishes.

I've noticed the people that keep their weight off are the people that changed their lifestyles and view of food..

People that gained it back did not change., even if you get the sleeve.. If you don't follow the rules and change your whole view on food .. You are going to gain it back..

I have had the band for over 6 years and have lost over 100 pounds. I did gain back about 40 pounds. I am on my way to getting rid of that! It will be up to you whether or not you gain it back! Do your homework! There are pros and cons to everything. My decision was strongly based on the fact that the band is reversible! I think everyone gets the jitters at one point in their journey! Good luck, and try not to over think it!

You get what you give! If you dont follow the guidelines you can gain. It is up to you! Stay strong you will do awesome!!

You will see horror stories from time to time. Some people are very very addicted to food and just can't comply with the eating style. You don't diet, you eat less because you're satisfied with less food.

Some people can't make that adjustment. Some people have never tried to even diet before and turn to WLS to keep from dying from complications of being morbidly obese. These people may find it difficult to follow the rules.

The rules sound so simple, yet they are so difficult for so many. Eat slower, chew more and more, eat smaller bites, look for satiety signals and most of all, eat healthy. I failed at diets because I was always hungry. It was uncomfortable. I don't want to feel that way. I don't feel like that anymore.

tmf

It doesn't matter which surgery you have, it is possible to regain weight with any of them.

before I had my surgery I also saw a lot of horror stories.. however, you need to write down the advantage of lapband and possible disadvantage. my advantages outweighed the disadvantages. I tried every diet and gimmick out there.. the main problem for me was hunger.. constant hunger no matter what I tried.. even diet pills would wear off and I'd be starving.. since being banded that issue is better.. I get hungry but not every minute.. it takes me about 4 hours from my meal to start feeling hungry and then it only takes a small portion to make me happy... I still believe the band was my best choice.. I know people who had gastric bypass, they don;t look healthy.. hang in there and remember that everyone is different.. do what is best for you..

the other posters said it all very well.

any WLS has pro's and con's...and good and bad points.and any surgery can have complications..its just part of having major surgery.

i find the ones who complain the loudest against are the ones who diverted off the path of following their doctors instructions in how to live the banded or bypassed or sleeve lifestyle...some go into this surgery and expect a month post op to lose 50 pounds or more by now and if they dont, they are discouraged or bummed and saying what am i doing wrong...

its not magic, its not overnight and its not for sure...what you can be sure of if you adhere to the allotted amounts, eat better foods and exercise, you can be successful and lose weight..

Some of the reasons I chose the band over other options are:

1. Less invasive

2. UP to 15% muscle mass loss instead of up to 30% loss in the other methods.

3. The same loss as other methods after 3 years post op.

These questions were answered by my doctor who performs all three types of surgeries, sleeve, bypass and lapband. Do your research...and make the best decision for you. I'm in Canada and the only type of surgery covered here is bypass. I'm willing to pay the 16,000 out of pocket instead myself.

Good luck. You will also hear every reason why you shouldn't do it from people that are trying to be helpful but have no idea what you're going through and also have never done any research.

The people on here have been wonderful. They will all recommend that you stick with ideas and comments from those that have the knowledge...like your doctor and nutrition counselor. I wish you every success! My band date is May 7, 2013.