Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How badly do you want to be Thin?

Forgive me in advance if you feel this post is judgmental, it is meant to be. But not of you, it is meant to be judgmental of my own life.

There have been numerous threads from people who want to lose their fat, but don't want to give up a particular food or habit that helped contribute to them being that way. Each time I see one I think to myself "you really don't want to be thin, do you?" then I think "If I only had to give up <Insert food item here> or start doing daily <insert healthy habit here> to be thin, I would do it in a heart beat". But the truth is, that is a lie. I have been fat all my life, I have lost hundreds of pounds, and then found them again and while the LB is a fantastic tool, unless I am willing to make changes that last the rest of my life, the fat it helps me to loose will eventually come back.

So the question I have for myself, "today is how badly do I want to be thin"? What am I willing to do (or not do) to make that happen?

This really helped me today. Asking these questions often is a great motivational tool. The LB is all about personal responsibility. Actually, all weight loss is.

I really want to be thinner and healthier. I didn't get fat in on year so i know I will not be thin in one year. I am getting there slowly. I now enjoy the gym. I have been sick all week, so no gym or exercise this week. I am still enjoying some of my old foods but much smaller portions and recooked for lower calories. I do not want to give up everything because in the past when I did I went back and then added more pounds.

Bad enough to spend 10k of my hsrd earned money on myself and to completely change my eating/exercise habits.

Best 10k I've ever spent. No regrets, I am thin & health. I love my band & new life.

I may never (be thin) as the world knows but this southern girl will be healthy....I did what I had to do to make that happen, june 6, 2012...not looking back and no regrets.

I may never (be thin) as the world knows but this southern girl will be healthy....I did what I had to do to make that happen, june 6, 2012...not looking back and no regrets.

As my boss says, "That was yesterday, what have you done for me today?" :lol:

I want to be thin, today I had a fill and I WILL follow my Dr.s orders and do liquids today, and mushies tomorrow. I HATE liquids :angry:

Terry, I love your posts and comments, they are never judgmental but politely honest from your life experience! It always surprises me what people think healthy eating is! My story is a little different, I was thin the majority of my life. I was anorexic/bulimic for 10 years. I knew how to lose weight and keep it off, don't eat! I never knew how to be thin and heathy. So for me as soon as I started getting to thin I would get scared and go to the other extreme. I did this over and over for years. Your right, you have to decide what your willing to give up! For me I'm no longer willing to give up my health whether it be to be too thin or to be too heavy! The band has really given me the moderation that I need to stop being an all or nothing personality. I realized that the crap I was addicted to in my heavy stage I was also addicted to in my anorexic stage. Only difference is during one stage I would keep it down, the other stage I would throw it up! I had to be very careful about eating potatoes and chocolate! They are my triggers! It's getting to know yourself and making choices. Sometime we just can't have it all! If you think you can, you will probably keep asking why your band is not working!

I so badly wanted to be thin that I had Weight Loss Surgery, something artificial and foreign placed inside my body forever changing how I eat, and even feel about food....

Terry, as usual, your post is spot on.

I often think the same thing when I see people sabotaging themselves, especially really early in their journey. I see people talking about eating hamburger a week after surgery when they're supposed to be on liquids and I think... why the heck did you even bother with the surgery at all?

You will hear over and over on these forums, it's not about willpower it's about want power. It's about how badly you want to lose the weight and be healthy.

I think for me and maybe I can vouch for most, I was just simply 'tired'. Tired of the highs and lows, the ups and downs. The feeling of 'tired', the feeling of being smothered/sufficated in my own body.

You have to want it bad enough, bad enough to say "I had enough"!

Thanks!!! That is right on and exactly what I need to think about. I'm only 3 days into my full liquid diet and almost a week post- op, and I'm struggling. I want to eat something so bad, but you're right- what I'm I willing to sacrifice to get healthy? I believe it will get better:)

I don't think it's judgmental at all, but a reality check, which for me I need every once in a while.