Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op experiences and support

can_do
Sign in to follow this  

Post-op day 2 for me. I had a much better night last night. The nausea has subsided, so I was able to take my pain med (I use Tylenol with Codeine), whenever I needed it. Yesterday was long. I still have pretty sharp pain in my left shoulder, between my shoulder blades, near my collar bone and in my mid back. My only abdominal discomfort is the port incision, but it's getting less each day.

Yesterday I sort of forced myself to get enough fluids. I just have no appetite or desire to put anything in my mouth. I did, however, have Water, beef broth, diluted grape juice, suagr free Jello and an ice pop. I also got in one clear Protein Drink. Today I can add to all of that, Skim Milk Plus to make a Protein Shake. I feel no restriction, but then again my surgeon does not do any filling at the time of insertion. I will get in the habit of sipping, because I am a gulper, especially with Water.< /p>

My belly is still quite distended, but I AM passing gas....TMI. :o I can shower today. I'm looking forward to that. I'm walking my hallways when I can, doing my deep breathing (don't want wind up with pneumonia). I am 59 afterall. I also plan on getting plenty of rest again today.

I just wanted to keep you up to date, so those that are waiting for surgery will know what to expect. Of course, we're not all the same.

Susan

You are doing great Susan :)... the worst is behind us now, and we are on our way to thinville :)

That's great news Susan! I have the pain in my left shoulder/neck, too. Last time, it was the right shoulder, lol. How weird is that?

Thanks for reminding me about the deep breathing. I'm doing my exercises right now to keep these lungs clear. I've definitely been breathing shallow.

How are you feeling, Florida?

You are doing great Susan :)... the worst is behind us now, and we are on our way to thinville :)

Thinville! I like that. How are you feeling?

Hi all! I was banded 2/1 so this is Day 6 for me and happy to say it finally feels like the gas pain in my shoulder is gone! Still have absolutely no hunger and have to force myself to eat regular "meals" so I establish good habits. I feel strange pains every now and then but just think it's the settling of the band. My superglue is starting to pull a little, but the incisions seem to be healing and the bruising is turning yellow now.

Back to work tomorrow. Some of the best advise I had was initially given by the Nurse Practitioner at my Surgeon's office who said to try and take a week off and not rush it - that the mental healing was just as important as the physical. I've tried to take this time to visualize situations moving forward so I'm prepared. Hoping this works!

Feel good all!

Hi all! I was banded 2/1 so this is Day 6 for me and happy to say it finally feels like the gas pain in my shoulder is gone! Still have absolutely no hunger and have to force myself to eat regular "meals" so I establish good habits. I feel strange pains every now and then but just think it's the settling of the band. My superglue is starting to pull a little, but the incisions seem to be healing and the bruising is turning yellow now.

Back to work tomorrow. Some of the best advise I had was initially given by the Nurse Practitioner at my Surgeon's office who said to try and take a week off and not rush it - that the mental healing was just as important as the physical. I've tried to take this time to visualize situations moving forward so I'm prepared. Hoping this works!

Feel good all!

So glad you're feeling well. Keep us posted. It gives me hope for feeling better soon.

Sounds like everyone's doing great!

I'm on day 5 (or 6?? not sure if I count my actual surgery day! lol), and doing pretty well. I'm still feeling sort of weak, and I have port pain when I move wrong or bend over. I'm a stomach sleeper, so sleeping has been rough for me. I'm still not feeling hungry, so I have to force myself to eat and drink. I'm hoping to be well enough on saturday to go shopping with my daughter (that's what she wants to do for her birthday...she'll be 8 :) ). She also wants to go out to eat, so I'm trying to figure out how to handle that....maybe order a cup of Soup? Or just sip on some ice Water with lemon?

Anyways, I love hearing how everyone's doing. It's nice to have others to go through this with.

I'm on day 5 (or 6?? not sure if I count my actual surgery day! lol), and doing pretty well. I'm still feeling sort of weak, and I have port pain when I move wrong or bend over. I'm a stomach sleeper, so sleeping has been rough for me. I'm still not feeling hungry, so I have to force myself to eat and drink. I'm hoping to be well enough on saturday to go shopping with my daughter (that's what she wants to do for her birthday...she'll be 8 :) ). She also wants to go out to eat, so I'm trying to figure out how to handle that....maybe order a cup of Soup? Or just sip on some ice Water with lemon?

Anyways, I love hearing how everyone's doing. It's nice to have others to go through this with.

Sounds as though you are doing great as well. Congrats. BTW.....Day 1 is the day after the surgery. :) Have fun on Saturday.

I feel better every day... maybe it is just knowing that i'm FINALLY going to be in control of my weight... and it is no longer going to control me.

I am also celebrating today, it is the last time... ever in my life I will weight over 200 lbs. I have a pretty good feeling when I step on the scales tomorrow it will read.. 199 :)

Feel good all!

I like the visualizations part. Do you mean how you're going to handle surprise donuts/goodies at work? Going out to eat? That sounds VERY smart!

I agree it's great to have the support. It's hard being alone. Do you have a support group that your bariatric center offers? Some places have monthly real life meet ups with other banded folks. My doc is in NY and I'm in Philly so I can't take advantage of this. I think it harmed me the first time around being banded...had I had support groups to attend, I might have known I had a leak sooner than I did and lost all my weight, not just most of it.

I feel better every day... maybe it is just knowing that i'm FINALLY going to be in control of my weight... and it is no longer going to control me.

I am also celebrating today, it is the last time... ever in my life I will weight over 200 lbs. I have a pretty good feeling when I step on the scales tomorrow it will read.. 199 :)

oh this you have to share, when you hit the milestone!!

Today was a good day. My father in law stayed again to take care of our baby, and my husband is getting better from the novo virus which is going around. Red alert, ladies, this novo virus is vomit and diarrhea and is VERY prevalent - would be torture to us newly banded people!! Needless to say, husband sleeps on the couch and we disinfect the bathroom for each other before and after each use. So far so good...neither me or the 3 month old need to share this experience with daddy, lol.

I am moving around very well. I'm not risking lifting the baby out of her crib, but picking her up from the changing table or her rocker is easy, and not painful at all. Father in law left this afternoon and DH and I are working in shifts, so he will watch DD while I nap, and then I'll watch her while he naps. It's working out well.

I miss my bathtub but will tough it out. Already I am having hunger, but once I start drinking I'm pretty discouraged from solid food. I'm looking forward to the pureed diet (remember, I totally suck with liquids) and am focused on staying on liquids as long as I can. For dinner tonight I mixed 2 TBSP Peanut Butter and 1/2 banana with my chocolate Protein Shake. I not only need the calories but I needed the weight of food.

I think I got in like 800 calories today, way better than the last 2 days. Gas X continues to be my hero, and I'm hoping tomorrow I'll start having bowel movements again. (Sorry for TMI, but this stuff becomes necessary lol)

How's everyone else doing?

Susan, BTW, I'm in the same boat with the scale. I peeked, it hasn't moved. In fact I'm 1 lb up. I'm focusing on protein...pretty sure things will loosen up and weight will drop in the next few days.

I've been two pounds heavier since the surgery and can't get my wedding ring off. Maybe when I start moving more and consistently having good Protein amounts, I'll lose the fluids. :wacko:

Haha I can't get my wedding ring on!!! LOL. I feel bloated for sure. I just drank a cup of coffee and a cup of Water. Will really pump the fluids in this morning and see if I can shed some of the Fluid today!

I'm right there with you, Kate.

I agree it's great to have the support. It's hard being alone. Do you have a support group that your bariatric center offers? Some places have monthly real life meet ups with other banded folks. My doc is in NY and I'm in Philly so I can't take advantage of this. I think it harmed me the first time around being banded...had I had support groups to attend, I might have known I had a leak sooner than I did and lost all my weight, not just most of it.

Yes, there are support groups that I need to make a point to attend. Majority of the people that go are pre op patients, but I remember wishing there were post op peeps there to talk to so maybe i can offer that! Also, I have 2 coworkers that I work very closely with that have had the lap band. One had it done back in october (she's a TON of help), and the other had it done just over a year ago and she's going to be a bad influence! haha She eats whatever, whenever, and hasn't lost any weight since she had it done...I'll just use her as my 'what not to do' example.

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good today, but I think I'm drinking too fast. I get a an almost painful, full feeling after I take a drink of Water. I can tell I'm still swollen in there, I just need to slow it down. My port pain is much more manageable today that it has been. Still hurts when I move wrong, but now I can get up and down without the stabbing like pain. YAY!

I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 6lbs from my surgery day. I'm pretty happy about that, and wish the weight would fall off this fast forever! *wishes on stars* lol

Hope everyone else is doing well today!