Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrations with band

I was banded 2 years ago and my initial fill was fantastic. I never felt hungry, ate moderately, and lost 40 pounds almost effortlessly. When I went to get adjusted, we just couldn't find that sweet spot again (I see some folks calling it the green spot here). Since 18 months ago, it's been miserable. I'm either throwing up coffee first thing in the morning, can't eat anything solid until 1pm while being hungry in the meantime, then end up eating crap I didn't even eat before the surgery--ice cream, mashed potatoes, chips, cookies--all that crap goes down easily. I'm so frustrated and feel like an epic failure. I'm considering trying again with the fills,but I'm at my wit's end right now. I'm disgusted that I spent so much money and did something so drastic as having surgery to be failing now. I asked a person who had great success with the surgery if she had challenges and she said she just kept the band as tight as she could stand it and lost 100 pounds in 9 months. She's never had a problem with it. So, what's my problem? I'm so disappointed and pissed off.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Our stories are identical! I asked my doc. the same question why my friend never has a problem and hasn't had a fill since she got the band 5 years ago and I've had it 2 years and it's a constant battle. His reply is that every body is different and each respond to the band differently and just have to keep trying until we're at a good spot and even when I'm at a good spot my allergies act up or I get sick and then have to have an adjustment.. I guess it's like medicine some may experience side effects from it when others won't have any problems. It is worth it, but I do understand your concerns.

I was banded 2 years ago and my initial fill was fantastic. I never felt hungry' date=' ate moderately, and lost 40 pounds almost effortlessly. When I went to get adjusted, we just couldn't find that sweet spot again (I see some folks calling it the green spot here). Since 18 months ago, it's been miserable. I'm either throwing up coffee first thing in the morning, can't eat anything solid until 1pm while being hungry in the meantime, then end up eating crap I didn't even eat before the surgery--ice cream, mashed potatoes, chips, cookies--all that crap goes down easily. I'm so frustrated and feel like an epic failure. I'm considering trying again with the fills,but I'm at my wit's end right now. I'm disgusted that I spent so much money and did something so drastic as having surgery to be failing now. I asked a person who had great success with the surgery if she had challenges and she said she just kept the band as tight as she could stand it and lost 100 pounds in 9 months. She's never had a problem with it. So, what's my problem? I'm so disappointed and pissed off.[/quote']

Granted, I am a newbie and yet to be banded (shooting for April), but everything I have learned tells me your band is too tight. From the inability to keep down liquids in the am to seeking out foods that go down easily (high calorie)--you should ask for an incremental unfill.

I have been banded for 9 months and have only lost 27 pounds (including weight lost on the pre-op diet). Most of the weight came off in the first three months. I have been stuck at the same weight for 6 months! I have not regained an ounce, but I can't seem to lose any more weight. I went to the Surgical Weightloss Center in Ontario. I think that the nurses who prescribe the fills are too conservative. I have this theory (because I do journal everything that I eat, good and the bad) that I have lost a lot of fat from around my stomach and this has made my band lose (just like in the begining). I think that if they would just give me a larger fill that it would help more than giving me these teeny little 0.25 cc fills. I feel like I am hanging on to my current weight with pure will power!! It psses me off (pardon my language) that I have paid all of this money for this "tool" and then they won't fill the thing up enough to make any sort of a significant difference!!! Anyone else feel like their biggest problem is that their doctor is too conservative with the fills? I have 4.2cc in a 10cc band. I started with 3.4cc in there after surgery. It has taken me 4 fills to go up 0.8cc. That just seems stupid slow to me.

I have been banded for 9 months and have only lost 27 pounds (including weight lost on the pre-op diet). Most of the weight came off in the first three months. I have been stuck at the same weight for 6 months! I have not regained an ounce, but I can't seem to lose any more weight. I went to the Surgical Weightloss Center in Ontario. I think that the nurses who prescribe the fills are too conservative. I have this theory (because I do journal everything that I eat, good and the bad) that I have lost a lot of fat from around my stomach and this has made my band lose (just like in the begining). I think that if they would just give me a larger fill that it would help more than giving me these teeny little 0.25 cc fills. I feel like I am hanging on to my current weight with pure will power!! It psses me off (pardon my language) that I have paid all of this money for this "tool" and then they won't fill the thing up enough to make any sort of a significant difference!!! Anyone else feel like their biggest problem is that their doctor is too conservative with the fills? I have 4.2cc in a 10cc band. I started with 3.4cc in there after surgery. It has taken me 4 fills to go up 0.8cc. That just seems stupid slow to me.

Losing weight around your waist has nothing to do with losing fat around your stomach. You do have a right to be angry about the slow fills. You should take your anger to your doctor and insist they give you 1 cc fills till you start to feel restriction. Some doctors milk the system if they get paid per fill. Follow the money?

tmf

Gretch and Marina,

I can't follow you around and witness what and how you eat but your posts seem to fall into the category of bandsters who can't or won't eat as most bariatric and nutritionists suggest we eat. You may be too tight now it sounds like? If you could back off say .25 CC and find a way to eat slowly, small and chew big, you might find the green zone or sweet spot again?

I'm saying this from personal experience. I could be wrong, but this(eat slow, small and chew big) is how the band is intended to be effective. The band is not static as our bodies do adapt to the band and the pouch muscles do get stronger and more efficient as they can push food throught the stoma much easier. This can give us the illusion that our bands have loosened. But it's just a signal that we need a small adjustment.

I'm just responding out of my own experience and as we all know, each body reacts differently to the band.

tmf

I have been banded for 9 months and have only lost 27 pounds (including weight lost on the pre-op diet). Most of the weight came off in the first three months. I have been stuck at the same weight for 6 months! I have not regained an ounce' date=' but I can't seem to lose any more weight. I went to the Surgical Weightloss Center in Ontario. I think that the nurses who prescribe the fills are too conservative. I have this theory (because I do journal everything that I eat, good and the bad) that I have lost a lot of fat from around my stomach and this has made my band lose (just like in the begining). I think that if they would just give me a larger fill that it would help more than giving me these teeny little 0.25 cc fills. I feel like I am hanging on to my current weight with pure will power!! It psses me off (pardon my language) that I have paid all of this money for this "tool" and then they won't fill the thing up enough to make any sort of a significant difference!!! Anyone else feel like their biggest problem is that their doctor is too conservative with the fills? I have 4.2cc in a 10cc band. I started with 3.4cc in there after surgery. It has taken me 4 fills to go up 0.8cc. That just seems stupid slow to me.[/quote']

You know I wonder why docs are so different. I went in for my first fill 2 days ago n he gave me a fill of 4 ccs. I was a little nervous about it but I've been doing fine. Since you pay out of pocket can't you demand it?

Losing weight around your waist has nothing to do with losing fat around your stomach. You do have a right to be angry about the slow fills. You should take your anger to your doctor and insist they give you 1 cc fills till you start to feel restriction. Some doctors milk the system if they get paid per fill. Follow the money?

tmf

I was wondering about that. Maybe they give small fills cause they get paid every time one goes in to an appointment. Not like they don't make more than we do. That's messed up