Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need some motivation

I'm a sophmore in highschool and I got banded a couple months ago, but I haven't lost ANYTHING! I'm going to prom in two weeks and I want to lose about five pounds, but every time I attempt to diet, I get discouraged and give up. This whole week has been unsuccessful- in fact I have gained two pounds. Any ideas out there on how I can get motivated so that I feel better about myself on such an important night? Also, I'm going shopping for my dress tomorrow (I know its late) and I know that trying on all of the gorgeous dresses that look awful on me is going to make me so depressed. How can I keep my spirits up so that I enjoy this special night? PLEASE REPLY!! Thanks!- Michelle :help:

Hi Michelle,

Congratulations on your banding? You didn't say whether you've had an adjustment or not, so it's hard to comment. You shouldn't be "dieting" with your band; it's there to help you make healthier choices on a permanent basis.

So how about it? Have you had any adjustments, and if so, what are you eating now? If you haven't had one, maybe it's time!

I don't know what anyone can say that will help you lose five pounds in two weeks, but being banded is about next year, the year after that and all the years after that. You may not have the dress of your dreams as a sophomore, but with patience and persistence you'll have it as a junior and at graduation you will be a whole different person. :hug:

Yes, most definitely congrats on making this decision. And, I completely understand that you want the "instant gratification" and want it to happen NOW, espeically in lieu of your upcoming prom. But, it is the long-term you are after..a healthy life. And, being much younger than most of us here, you have an excellent kick-start on it NOW as opposed to many of us.

My advice, is to let the band do its job, don't worry about the "NOW" and just go out and get a marvelous dress that YOU love and enjoy your special evening. It sounds corny but it really is true: just feel good about yourself (which you should, considering the big step you have already taken; BE PROUD) and this inside feeling will radiate outwards.

Don't let your evening become about these 5 pounds...enjoy the moment!!

Have fun!

you should talk to your band doctor it is probably time for an adjustment. you may not make your goal in two weeks, but like others said think about your junior and senior years.

How amazing for you to have made the initial big first step at your tender age! That is pretty cool.

All I can suggest is that you focus on Protein because that seems to work for me with my cravings (or lack of). Carbs just make me hungrier.

I hope it works out!

Kelli

Hi and welcome to bandland!

I know it's hard to look at things as a long term, but the band is not a quick fix. If you are only 2 weeks out you are still dealing with the mental aspects of being banded.

PLEASE give yourself time to heal and don't give up!!

I am 27, but I was way over 200 all through high school, so if you would like someone to talk to I am here.

Take care and ((((HUGS))))

You're putting alot of pressure on yourself. That alone will make anyone overeat, especiallyif you've already been using food to cope with stress. Throw out your prom goal. Don't add pressure to yourself. Have a goal of being as pretty as you can at prom. Weight or no weight. Maybe you need a fill?

Thank you all so much! I definately took your advice to heart. I had a really great time shopping once I kept in mind that this is a LIFE change. Going into surgery I wore a size 16 in juniors and now I wear a size 14/15! So although the scale doesn't show it, I have made some progress. I will definately keep you all posted about how the prom goes and my about weight loss! Thanks again!

HAVE FUN with the friends that know and love everything about you!!!

Most of the girls are so conscious about how they look that they never even consider what they other girls look like. Compliment all of your friends. That will put them at ease and you will find compliments in return. But most of all, make the night not about looks, but friends, dancing and fun!