Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

But most of that is probably water ***RANT***

Twice now, when I have been talking to someone about my weight loss, the comment "But a lot of that was probably just water" comment was made. WHYINTHEFREAKENWORLDDOPEOPLEFEELTHENEEDTOSAYTHAT!!!!

The first time, it was my beautiful svelte wife, who after 14 years of marriage still fits in the same clothes as the day I met her. She is my biggest fan when it comes to me living a healthier life. Who didn't bat an eye when I said I wanted to spend 11K out of savings for WLS, but was totally supportive as soon as she was convinced of the safety. I couldn't believe my ears as those words came out of her mouth. But I kept a lid on it, and after my conversation was over took her aside and told her that after when she had gone through the hell I had with my weight, and after she had gone under the surgeons knife to find a solution, then she could say those words, but I had worked damn hard for those 26 pounds and I didn't ever want to hear them again from her. (BTW My wife was truly mortified when she realized the implication of what she had said.)

The second time was from her uncle, who is a software engineer, has his own weight problem and is fairly sedentary. My response that time was "So? I have lost 26 pounds, two pants sizes and a shirt size in the last month. Some of it was Water, but who cares?" Which shut him up.

But I am totally confused at why is viewed as acceptable.

Our bodies in general are about 98% Water anyway right so of course some it is water!!!! Would they rather you lose bone and cartiledge?

I wouldnt think another thing about it. A pound is a pound.... Water or no Water. And you have been around long enough to know most people dont think before they speak... so my advice... ignore it and just keep losing. Trust me when I tell you when you reach your goal people will still be saying dumb things... like last week someone said... oh look... now he (my husband) is the fat one in the relationship.... I mean really???? What a silly thing to say. Mostly because hubby is 6'1" 200 lbs and other than a typical middle paunch because he says working out will ruin his golf game.... :blink: but thats another story....) he is trim...

It was just a classic case not thinking before speaking.... And you cannot fix it.

Heard that one before. Even a lady I work with who has had lapband told me that after I had lost 30 lbs in 2 months. Ticked me off. Why do people only think you lose Water weight? I mean do we look at fat people and say oh, they are retaining water - no they say oh that person is fat.

a loss is a loss (in my book)

Water or not....again people who have (no clue) are the most vocal. just how i see it

Foot in mouth syndrome. And Floridays I can't believe someone said that!!!! People just crack me up with the speak before you think.

Same goes for weight loss surgery, they seem to think we took the 'easy' way out, as if we don't have to do anything and the weight will magically fall off.....

people say the most ridiculous things...

Foot in mouth syndrome. And Floridays I can't believe someone said that!!!! People just crack me up with the speak before you think.

Yep they did.... Both of us were dumbfounded.... but rather than arguing we just ignored it.

First of all when you are on a high Protein diet only a few of those pounds that you are losing are actually Water. The rest is fat. People assume from past dieting that the first 20lbs is water weight which is plain malarky. If you are consuming a lot of protein it is burning your fat and the water is flushing it out of your system so tell them the next time they say that, that I said its plain bull S**t

Yep they did.... Both of us were dumbfounded.... but rather than arguing we just ignored it.

I think I just would have stared at them with my mouth hanging open. Glad to hear you we're able to keep your composure! :-)