Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Lapband Horror Story

I'm sorry, but I don't think accusing the OP of being a troll, guessing at her secret identity and generally putting her down is a positive reflection on this forum. It is a Complications forum, isn't it? I know who you might be referring to, and she isn't even a member of this site. This smells of Internet bullying to me.

This

I'm sorry, but I don't think accusing the OP of being a troll, guessing at her secret identity and generally putting her down is a positive reflection on this forum. It is a Complications forum, isn't it? I know who you might be referring to, and she isn't even a member of this site. This smells of Internet bullying to me.

MsMaui, this story sounds so much like your story on the thread "My Band Story- long but worth reading" .

You and NanaPrice have a lot in common when it come to the vegus nerve, maybe a PM between you two is in order ;) ;)

This

MsMaui, this story sounds so much like your story on the thread "My Band Story- long but worth reading" .

You and NanaPrice have a lot in common when it come to the vegus nerve, maybe a PM between you two is in order ;) ;)

Have no idea who the OP is...this site seems very hostile, though and a bit paranoid. Jean knows me...

Have no idea who the OP is...this site seems very hostile, though and a bit paranoid. Jean knows me...

I didn't say anything about you knowing the OP. I said, you had a lot in common and maybe PMing each other you can discuss your common concerns about the vegus nerve.

Nothing hostile about that.

No one being paranoid, just protective of new bandsters. When someone misrepresents something we have every right to voice our concerns and opinions. The OP had so many statements listed as fact, which was not the case.

I find everyone here very helpful and kind, but when it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's a duck.

BTW- feel free to correct my grammer and punctaution. Yes, I remember!

Ok reading all these posts was actually educational for me bein a new band patient. I found OH in the Internet and noticed it was very neg towards the lap band but that was the only surgery I was willing to consider. Now I appreciate the posters here defending newly banded patients...I get it now and see the history....

Leave y'all alone for a few days and look what happens.....

Yes the band sucks for some of us. I would have my ovaries removed through my nose with nail clippers and rusty wire before I relived that hell again. HOWEVER, if you're going to come in here making claims then you need to be able to back them up. Otherwise you either look like a reactionary who doesn't take the time to think things through, or, in this case, just looking ignorant. If 40% of bands failed the FDA and insurance companies would yank it. There's no physiologic way the band can cause atrial fibrillation. Gallbladder disease and removal is very common with any type of significant weight loss, band, sleeve, bypass, or au natural. And yup, step 1 is band 101 class was no drinking with meals, it's been that way for years.

The good news is that it's removable! You might wanna check into that!

Wow! A bit of a nasty bunch here huh? Thanks tho to the few who actually responded with some helpful advice.

First of all, I have no idea who this other person is that you think I am. But flame away at me if you feel better.

2-I SAID that what I was stating was based on MY OWN research on the web, you can easily search it too, if you like. And yes, the 40% figure of failure does come up often, soemtimes as high as 50%.

3- I WISH someone had told me some of this before I got my band, or at least suggested that I look into these areas of it (vagus nerve, etc) and the fact that I am 3 years with it, and "just now posting about this"? ever occur to you that I am VERY frustrated with my pain, and so forth and am just now to the point that I regret my decision?

if you are happy with your band, good for you! But what? Someone who is not is not allowed to say so here?

Anyhoo... goodbye.

Wow! A bit of a nasty bunch here huh? Thanks tho to the few who actually responded with some helpful advice.

First of all, I have no idea who this other person is that you think I am. But flame away at me if you feel better.

2-I SAID that what I was stating was based on MY OWN research on the web, you can easily search it too, if you like. And yes, the 40% figure of failure does come up often, soemtimes as high as 50%.

3- I WISH someone had told me some of this before I got my band, or at least suggested that I look into these areas of it (vagus nerve, etc) and the fact that I am 3 years with it, and "just now posting about this"? ever occur to you that I am VERY frustrated with my pain, and so forth and am just now to the point that I regret my decision?

if you are happy with your band, good for you! But what? Someone who is not is not allowed to say so here?

Anyhoo... goodbye.

Nana, sorry you got hammered. Apparently there are some who reside on this site who have nothing better to do than add insult to injury. PM me if you would like a link to a group that will actually support you.

You have to understand that 99.9% of the people on this forum have ALREADY had the lap band surgery, and come here for support, and positive reinforcement......

Negativity is not accepted very easy....

That's not to say I do not want to know the negatives....but I also want to know how I can avoid them.....

NOT to be told I made the biggest mistake in my life and I should have this thing taken out before it's too late....

I for one, have never had one single problem or adverse side effect....

I have heard about A-fib, but usually surgery is indicated when other cardiac issues are present....

I do not doubt your story, but after 3 years this is the first time anyone has ever come on that strong without having some pre existent medical issues complicated by this surgery......one of the reasons for the intense pre-screening and needed releases...including Physc...

Leave y'all alone for a few days and look what happens.....

Yes the band sucks for some of us. I would have my ovaries removed through my nose with nail clippers and rusty wire before I relived that hell again. HOWEVER' date=' if you're going to come in here making claims then you need to be able to back them up. Otherwise you either look like a reactionary who doesn't take the time to think things through, or, in this case, just looking ignorant. If 40% of bands failed the FDA and insurance companies would yank it. There's no physiologic way the band can cause atrial fibrillation. Gallbladder disease and removal is very common with any type of significant weight loss, band, sleeve, bypass, or au natural. And yup, step 1 is band 101 class was no drinking with meals, it's been that way for years.

The good news is that it's removable! You might wanna check into that![/quote']

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/lap-band-surgery-half-patients-complications/t/story?id=13187452&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Dlap%2520band%2520failure%2520rate%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D2%26ved%3D0CEkQFjAB%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fabcnews.go.com%252FHealth%252FWellness%252Flap-band-surgery-half-patients-complications%252Fstory%253Fid%253D13187452%26ei%3DVV39UKr_GubT0wG3h4CgCQ%26usg%3DAFQjCNEXCiEV4KQ6t2XtTAjSBNAFSK2ygg%26sig2%3DdvdvQRs-9aH-IhmbLrvW6w%26bvm%3Dbv.41248874%2Cd.dmQ

http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/health_stories/Lap_Band_Complications/2011/03/23/381629.html

The interesting thing about the Internet is you can find information to support almost any argument you want to make

I'm not sure how accurate the articals are, but they were easy to find.

BTW, Christie, did you got hrough with your RNY conversion? How is it working?

You have to understand that 99.9% of the people on this forum have ALREADY had the lap band surgery, and come here for support, and positive reinforcement......

Negativity is not accepted very easy....

That's not to say I do not want to know the negatives....but I also want to know how I can avoid them.....

NOT to be told I made the biggest mistake in my life and I should have this thing taken out before it's too late....

I for one, have never had one single problem or adverse side effect....

I have heard about A-fib, but usually surgery is indicated when other cardiac issues are present....

I do not doubt your story, but after 3 years this is the first time anyone has ever come on that strong without having some pre existent medical issues complicated by this surgery......one of the reasons for the intense pre-screening and needed releases...including Physc...

Since this is a complications forum, you're going to see negative posts. It seems to me that the OP had her band surgery with a band mill type of operation. I was fully informed prior to my surgery, but still have major complications, even though I was and am completely compliant. Stuff happens, bands DO fail, sometimes people fail, but you're reading a post complications forum...it's unreasonable to expect to find positive posts here.

Since this is a complications forum' date=' you're going to see negative posts. It seems to me that the OP had her band surgery with a band mill type of operation. I was fully informed prior to my surgery, but still have major complications, even though I was and am completely compliant. Stuff happens, bands DO fail, sometimes people fail, but you're reading a post complications forum...it's unreasonable to expect to find positive posts here.[/quote']

I think a lot of how you are received has to do with how you present yourself. I had my band out in August after nearly 3 years of misery which eventually ended in slipped band and gastric herniation. Was supposed to convert to bypass at the time of removal but my innards were so inflamed and jacked up from the band that I was sent home for 6 months to heal before he would convert. I've told my story here and voiced my opinions here repeatedly (as have others) without being received negatively. In fact most here have thanked me for sharing my journey and knowledge. Keep in mind EVERYONE that you can't tell the tone when you're reading what someone has written. But I also think you need to use caution with the approach you use to present your story.

In the end, it is your story, you can tell it any way you want, but just know that you're when you tell your story, you are opening yourself up to criticism. I'm sorry it has sucked for you. Having my band taken out was a godsend!!!

http://abcnews.go.co....41248874,d.dmQ

http://www.newsmaxhe.../23/381629.html

The interesting thing about the Internet is you can find information to support almost any argument you want to make

BTW, Christie, did you got hrough with your RNY conversion? How is it working?

Of course, there's the newer studies using the newer surgery techniques: http://www.medpagetoday.com/Surgery/GeneralSurgery/36926

http://abcnews.go.co....41248874,d.dmQ

http://www.newsmaxhe.../23/381629.html

Sorry but both links are irrelevant.

Neither study differentiate between complications caused by patient non-compliance and complications of no fault of the patient. Just because half the Lap Band patients are messing up their own bands with their own ignorant behavior isn't a reflection on those who actually follow the rules and do the right thing.

The second study was based on the 4cc band, which hasn't been used in the United States in a couple years because they've (unfortunately) had a lot of problems with the smaller band. So again, anyone banded in the last couple years has a bigger band so that study is completely irrelevant.